Bottom bracket needed for wisper 905 se 2008

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Hi,
I need a bottom bracket for a wisper 905 se, 2008, 174mm , someone suggestead halfords but i dont see it there, and wisper dont have it,
regards,
Stuart

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi,
I need a bottom bracket for a wisper 905 se, 2008, 174mm , someone suggestead halfords but i dont see it there, and wisper dont have it,
regards,
Stuart
Maybe a Photo or two of the damaged(?) one may jog someone's memory? Just a thought!
Hopefully
Andy

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
thanks for the replies, Adrian at wisper said it was 174mm, dont really want to take it apart to measure
Andy heres some vids of it rotating badly :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy-Mat

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Turn the bike upside down and take a photo of it from underneath so that we can see all the way from one end to the other.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
thanks for the replies, Adrian at wisper said it was 174mm, dont really want to take it apart to measure
Andy heres some vids of it rotating badly :p

A video is of course even better!!
But it must be repaired, the damage is excessive IMHO.
IMHO you only need the axle and probably new bearings. It appears to me that only the left stub is bent. I had that happen to me as a kid, the bike fell over and it got bent. My father replaced just the axle and bearings as far as I can remember and everything was fine again.
Then, the ball bearings were loose and had to be "held in" with grease while rebuilding, it is of course possible that modern bikes are even easier to fix in this area, but as I have no "modern" experience to draw on myself, I might suggest the following:-
1) carefully dismantle the whole assembly.
2) clean all parts and catch all the balls, as they may fall out if not contained in a ball bearing anymore.
3) count the balls to see how many you need on each side, but buy a few extra, "just in case". Make sure you know eactly what size balls are needed, take some with you to the bike shop, if you do not have the knowledge and use of a micrometer..
4) Carefully measure the shaft for diameter, length and between the ridges where the ball bearings ride, although that may be a standard for all I know.
5) Either search for new parts online, or order them at a GOOD bike shop.
6) You need to buy the shaft, the special bolts for both sides, grease, possibly seals, new ball bearings and spacers. There appear to be so many nowadays, you need to be careful of hat you order/buy.....
Make sure all the parts you intend to reuse, are in good condition with no damage, look especially at the parts around the bearing on the LH side.
There are some experts here that have done this job before, use them and do look at helpful videos on YouTube as well.
You may need a special tool for the outer bearing caps as well!
Take photos, so that you know how to replace it!
Here are a few videos, as there seems to be many possibilities nowadays:-
Hopefully there is a video on YouTube with the exact same model/type as you have.
Make sure that when finished there is no Left/right play, but also the bearings are still very free. Do not over tighten!
Regards
Andy
bicycle_parts_bottom_bracket_parts.jpg
fsa-bmx-34.jpg
Bottom Bracket.jpeg

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A bit of research shows that the 2008 Wisper 905 has a 174mm cup and cone BB. You'll be very lucky to find a replacement unless the one I mentioned above is the same. I think I'd have a go at straightening it. Long ones like that bend very easily when you fall off your bike, so it might be easy to bend it back.

Get a spare left side pedal arm and fix it on the right side square taper, then whack it with a big mallet or something similar until there's no longer a wobble.

Measure the exact length of the bottom bracket aluminium tube - just the aluminium. there might be other alternatives.