Will it fit? Spacers for Tongsheng mid-drive?

Jimrat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 30, 2020
Hi

First post - be gentle :)

I would like to fit a TSDZ2 with 42T chainring to my 2016 Trek Marlin 7 hardtail mtb (29er).

From the drawings I could find, the Tongsheng has a 50.2mm chainline. The chainline of the 40T triple on my Trek is about 56mm (see photo) and there's about 5mm clearance between chainring and chainstay. I think the TSDZ2 with bigger 42T chainring would catch on the chainstay. The reduction gear might also clash?? So I'm looking for advice on how to get about 5mm extra clearance on the drive side.

My bottom bracket is 73mm. If I get a 5mm spacer to fit on the drive side of the bottom bracket, will there be enough thread to fit the lock nut on the non-drive side? I could maybe shave 1-2mm off the bottom bracket with a grinder, but doubt I could find 5mm.

Alternatively, are there any spacers that fit between the Tongsheng drive and the chain ring / spider? I've googled lots, searched ES etc, but all I get are Bafang spacers. I guess I could ghetto something up with washers? What do people advise?

I've spent hours trawling www. I did find a post on ES when someone had fitted a BBSHD to this exact bike; they didnt use spacers but used a Luna chainring adapter.

Thanks
Jim

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: Bikes4two

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The chain line does not appear to be such a problem with the tdz compared to a bbs ,if the motor will fit and not catch on the chain stays its very tolerant , the bottom bracket spacers from a bafang fit .
My kona unit 27.5 + 73 mm bottom bracket and 2,8 inch wide tyres has chain problems with a bbso2 but not with the tdz2 it has fitted now and the voodoo required a 1mm spacer on the bb
PS have tried several cheap chainrings for the tsdz 32 up to 52 all from ebay adds[china] suggest factory fit for a tsdz2 none fit as well as the unit supplied with the kit

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

Lumr002

Just Joined
Mar 8, 2021
I have installed the Tongsheng on 2 Marlin 6's and 1 Marlin 7 with no problems. I also have one on my Roscoe 8 but I had to shave the motor housing.