Cheap ebay solid tires

Staps

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2020
Hello All,

Has anyone tried out the really cheap solid tires on ebay?
2 x tyres 23mm/700 for £13! I have a recurring puncture issue and now the rims are quite sharp from long walks with flat tyres, this is gonna write off the ebike. Better a hard ride than no bike.

One thing is that the tannus tyres have lock-in tabs, i guess i will find out how required they are anybody have prior experience? These have probably been on the market for years

cheers

Attachments

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I would suggest you spend the money on a puncture outfit, a spare tube and a set of tyre levers (or 3 old spoons) then you'll never need to walk home.
You shouldn't keep getting punctures, it's worth removing tyres and tubes and carefully cleaning, check the tyres by running fingers round on the inside to feel for anything sharp which may still be in there from a previous puncture and check rim tape is still covering all the spoke holes. It would be advisable to sand the rims smooth where you say they are now sharp.
Dave.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Get some modern puncture proof tyres as they really are now and you would be very unlucky to get a puncture.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello All,

Has anyone tried out the really cheap solid tires on ebay?
2 x tyres 23mm/700 for £13! I have a recurring puncture issue and now the rims are quite sharp from long walks with flat tyres, this is gonna write off the ebike. Better a hard ride than no bike.

One thing is that the tannus tyres have lock-in tabs, i guess i will find out how required they are anybody have prior experience? These have probably been on the market for years

cheers
Are they the Tanus tyres ?
If so I think the ride will be quite harsh and you will feel every lump and bump on the road.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Typically solid tyres means broken spokes (very awkward) instead of punctures (a little awkward). There are some that claim a reasonable ride, and are presumably better on the spokes, but ...???

As said above, go for a pair of (very) puncture resistant tyres, eg Marathon Plus. You won't get a pair for £13 though.

Staps

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2020
Thanks guys for your advice

I have a lot of armoured tyres, slime stuff and sanding time spent already. Damn pinch flats

I might be the guinea pig then

Last edited:

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks guys for your advice

I have a lot of armoured tyres, slime stuff and sanding time spent already. Damn pinch flats

I might be the guinea pig then
If it’s pinch flats you’re suffering, go tubeless. Virtually eliminates pinch flats.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With pinch flats are you using correct size tubes, not in wheel size but width/volume size. Usually they only occur due to low pressure or wrong volume of tube that don't inflate fully.