Battery life of Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro400 ONE 2019

Dan86

Just Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm on the cusp of purchasing a CUBE. I'm tossing between the Cube reaction hybrid Pro 400 ONE 2019 and the Cube nature hybrid Pro 400 2020.

I'm attracted to the higher power of the reaction pro, but they both have a 400Wh battery. I'm wondering if anyone has this particular combo. The reaction has this motor:
Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX (75Nm) Cruise (250Watt)

and the nature hybrid pro has this motor:
Bosch Drive Unit Active Plus Generation 3 (50Nm) Cruise (250Watt)

And both have the bosch powerpack 400Wh.

If anyone has an opinion or has experience with that particular combo i'd greatly appreciate a heads up on how the available range compares with the higher torque motor vs the lower torque motor.

I'd be really happy with a reliable 80km (49mi) but i'd accept 50-60 (~30-35mi)

Thanks in advance

Dan

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Too many variables to give anything other than general advice.

I have the same CX motor and there's no doubt it uses more power than other Bosch motors I have.

About 30 miles from a 400wh battery is all you might get.

The Active Line Plus will be more economical, but by how much is hard to say.

What you really need is a bike with the 500wh battery which would reach the lower end of your target range, and might get closer to the top end.

Reactions: Croxden

Dan86

Just Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Thanks for the reply,

Yeah fair call...i have noticed on the website of the store I was looking at buying from they do have the 500w version available, just didn't have one in store. so I might fork out an extra 500 and go for the bigger battery and the bigger motor

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
As RobF said, too many variables to give an accurate answer, mostly it will depend on you and the terrain you're riding on. If you're fit and keep it in eco mode and riding on flat ground, you'll get longer range, lazy, keep it in turbo, hilly ground, much shorter, also, wind has a massive impact on range.

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
20St bloke, daily commute of just over 10km a day and my 400w Acid Hybrid (ALP motor) is generally at just under 50% battery by Friday evening using Turbo mode. Yes, its tarmac rather than off-road and yes 've optimised the gearing for the commute but it does show that you can get pretty good battery life if you pedal ;-)

Dan86

Just Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Thanks guys. Thats a cool link! I'll have a think and see how much the finance ministry will allocate to my budget

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Bosch Drive Unit Active Plus Generation 3 (50Nm) Cruise (250Watt)

I have this unit on my Cube.
The issue is what you are using it for and how you are going to use it,

If you have assist on all the time and in use then the ALP is probably a little more economical as the power settings are slightly higher on the old gen CX. Maybe 15-20% at a guess -depending on which modes you use.

But the ALP is zero resist and the CX is not.
That means the ALP is easier to pedal at low speeds without using the motor and is also better at maintaining speeds above the cut-off.

I have cycled 1850 miles this year and according to my diagnostics 850 miles of it has been with no assist.
I'm not clear whether is all low speed with the motor turned off or also includes time at >25kph with the motor cut-off.

Anyway, I've been getting about 5whr per mile in actual use. Which equates to a range of of 100 miles on my 500whr battery. Or 80 miles on a 400whr one.

I doubt you would be spending any time at all without assist on the CX as it would be like cycling with the brake slightly on.

Dan86

Just Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Im glad to be reading that info, as I put a deposit down on the nature (active line pro) yesterday. I can't say i noticed the difference in post 25kph resistance on the test ride of the 2019 reaction, but it was a short ride and maybe i didnt spend much time above 25kph either.

But that factor is critical for me, id rather the 25kph be an effective minimum rather than a restrictive maximum on a long commute!

Thanks for all the replies. Am now waiting the painful 5-7 business days for delivery lol