Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I, m stretching innings as far and actively as possible. I, ll go out going for boundary.
And on that cricketing note, since it seems our cricketers are so good, why cant they play other countries for something useful instead of silly ashes or titles?

Such as a hefty chunk of their respective national debts.

Reactions: Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What are we to make of this?
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-red-wall-automation-2030-a4362536.html
32% of jobs in former Labour 'red wall' seats could be lost to automation by 2030, report claims

In theory this situation should have occurred back from the 1970's on but rather than invest here , the money went abroad to support factories employing cheap labour.

Now of course the question is what will the Government do?
If it invests in Automation, it has millions of people out of work to support
If it succeeds in lowering living standards and wages, it could perhaps employ more of the population.

My judgement is that they will try to make history repeat itself and lower living standards to be competitive rather than take the risk of heavy investment in the knowledge they will have to use the profit to subsidise welfare payments.
And shift any investments out of the country where profit can be guaranteed

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Sabisky is reported to have posted to a website run by Cummings, saying existing vaccination laws could pave a way for mandatory birth control.
“One way to get around problems of unplanned pregnancies creating a permanent underclass would be to legally enforce universal uptake of long-term contraception at the onset of puberty,” he wrote.
Mmmm wonder how they'd work out who were to be the breeding elites and barren underclass - The 11+ would take on a whole new level of significance. Possibly workable in North Korea / China but sure to be a vote loser in a democracy but hey people voted for brexit* so anything's possible if craftily sold and marketed...

*Leave voter has second thoughts

Explaining what would be at stake if Brexit isn’t delivered right, he said: “Everything. My family, my house, my staff - we’ve been trading for 33 years.”

Smith said that he now “definitely had second thoughts” about Brexit, despite voting to Leave in June 2016.

“I didn’t really think about it like that, I didn’t think about the business side of it.”

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Where is this "Best Country in the world we were promised"
In the Telegraph
"
Dementia sufferers dumped in hospitals after mass closures of day centres and respite care
The investigation reveals the closure of 32 respite and day centres, while the number of patients getting help has fallen by a quarter

Well my wife can't complain about the standard of care she has received for Mixed Dementia
Because there hasn't been any, and I can't get the Doctors to discuss it, even though they are willing to help with every other problem she has

As far as they are concerned she is deal already, and they have better things to do, and as far as any help for me, pretty much the same applies.
No contact of any sort, we may as well be on the moon.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Over ten minutes of flood stories on the BBC 10 news. Unless I blinked, not a single politician pledging help, saying they had done everything.
In the Wales news, Mark Drakeford was on - and said the right things, in the right way. He is not a cheer-leader type of politician, and there are plenty of issues in Wales and Labour, but I actually think he is not a bad chap.

Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A smile to start the day

Dominic Buxton
@MrDominicBuxton

·
22h

Judging by his tweet, I’m not so sure that James actually knows the geographical boundaries of England.
Quote Tweet

James Blake

English independence@rogerbarjb
· Feb 15
A Free independent England is the future.

Brexiteer Genius at work
Received several very good responses. Including:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He's perhaps not as wrong as you might think.

When kings made the laws, Henry the Eighth ruled that Wales was a principality of England, which is why there is a Prince of Wales.

Long after when the British government tried to concede that Wales was a country, they omitted the removal of the Prince of Wales. Therefore they never completed the change of Wales to being a country, so it's still technically a principality of England, as witness Prince Charles investiture as Prince of Wales, Earl of Chester at Caernofon Castle in Wales.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
He's perhaps not as wrong as you might think.

When kings made the laws, Henry the Eighth ruled that Wales was a principality of England, which is why there is a Prince of Wales.

Long after when the British government tried to concede that Wales was a country, they omitted the removal of the Prince of Wales. Therefore they never completed the change of Wales to being a country, so it's still technically a principality of England, as witness Prince Charles investiture as Prince of Wales, Earl of Chester at Caernofon Castle in Wales.
Quote:
In fact, in 2008 the Welsh Government issued a statement on this very issue:

"Wales is not a principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right."

Reactions: Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Where is this "Best Country in the world we were promised"
In the Telegraph
"
Dementia sufferers dumped in hospitals after mass closures of day centres and respite care
The investigation reveals the closure of 32 respite and day centres, while the number of patients getting help has fallen by a quarter

Well my wife can't complain about the standard of care she has received for Mixed Dementia
Because there hasn't been any, and I can't get the Doctors to discuss it, even though they are willing to help with every other problem she has

As far as they are concerned she is deal already, and they have better things to do, and as far as any help for me, pretty much the same applies.
No contact of any sort, we may as well be on the moon.
My mother was in desperate need of help as she went downhill with dementia and physical issues. The available support was effectively zero. Even when discharged from hospital for an acute issue, when "they" were supposed to help, they didn't.

It actually took more time and effort to make contact and chase those who should have been helping than to ignore them and do things ourselves. Which is very difficult when you live many miles away and work full-time.

What was formerly meals on wheels, now a comemrcial supplier, was appalling. They simply didn't deliver at all some days, or ridiculously early or late when they did arrive. The upset of not getting any food was dreadful.

(Just saying that it is dreadful. However, it is all in the past now.)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quote:

"Wales is not a principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right."
I know that, but it's UDI. The independence has to be declared by the ruler, not the ruled. That declaration was like me declaring my home is no longer part of England but a separate country.

At the investiture the Secretary of State of Wales read in the Welsh language the acknowledgment that the Earl of Chester, (Chester being a walled city of England, whose Earl was to succeed to the throne of England as king) had become the Prince of Wales.

Thus Wales was still a principality, note that neither Scotland nor Ireland have Princes, because they are separate countries.

Reactions: Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Quote:

With respect oyster,and,I have a sister living in Swansea, Wales lost its freedom at least a thousand years ago and is seen as part of England, as much as Wessex and Mercia... The only thing going for them is a brilliant Rugby tradition, . I cannot see any independent Wales Sorry.

Reactions: oyster and flecc

Advertisers