Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We need to stop building houses. In the town closest to me, they have bulldozed an area of woodland on a hillside to cram in hundreds of houses and tarmac. The hillside has a lake at the bottom which feeds into a stream which runs through several villages downstream. Guess what's happened? The water has run off the new tarmac hillside, into the stream and caused flooding in the villages. What a surprise.

Another new development closely-by, built in a low lying area which has traditionally always flooded, has, well, flooded over the weekend. It's only been built within the last 18 months and they had diesel pumping sets down there pumping water out of the estate and back into the stream, which had burst its banks and caused the flooding in the first place.

We have too many houses, too much tarmac and too many people. That's the problem. The country is overloaded, it's not suitable for such a massive & uncontrolled population expansion.
I am concerned at bulding going on in sight of the bedroom window. Uphill from us.

Theoretically, they are dealing with drainage issues before they really get going, but I am still rather concerned.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I suspect that the majority of the voters didn't vote for a lot of the policies that are coming out of the woodwork.
OOoh! naughty Oyster!
Voters ALWAYS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE VOTING FOR!
(One of the Ten commandments, just after "Thou shalt not commit adultery")

• :D
Reactions: oyster

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
government bashing is popular because the majority of voters did not vote for this government, posters on this thread reflects nearly accurately national average.

[/QUOTE]

Well if you say so.. funny but it rarely changes..

Privatisation is understood not to mean turning the NHS into a quoted company, just sub-contract out juicy low hanging fruits to private companies, such as eye operations, hip replacement and which drugs at what price.
Also, contracts with consultants allow them to recruit customers at NHS hospitals.
Yeah, but if you lead your election campaign along the lines of “something bad is going to happen if you vote for XXX and voting for us will stop it happening“ and then demonstratably you are seen to

A not do anything about it.
B have not done anything about it when you had the opportunity.
C clearly have no intention of ever doing anything about it.

All of the above because it suits you to have that flag to wave, well then you demonstrate exactly the same traits as every other party.

There are other examples for each of the parties and local government is even worse.

It’s just that some can see it and others believe the stories.

Fastest google connection needed to find the truth :)

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
With the exception of Scotland, Wales, and much of the North of course, if only maps extended beyond the M25!
And of course locally we are in the process of demolishing the last of the 10,000 redundant houses in the city
Are we both on the same planet, one wonders? :cool:
I have no idea what the point of your post is. It’s meaningless.

I am simply saying that unplanned population explosions = demand for housing = destruction of natural land drainage = pressure on streams and rivers = flooding. It’s not difficult.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

I am simply saying that unplanned population explosions = demand for housing = destruction of natural land drainage = pressure on streams and rivers = flooding. It’s not difficult.
England is less densely populated than the Netherlands (where the environment is doing just fine). You're going to have to find another trojan horse for those anti immigration sentiments. Our misfortune is to be governed by a bunch of tory fukcwits.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
England is less densely populated than the Netherlands (where the environment is doing just fine). You're going to have to find another trojan horse for those anti immigration sentiments. Our misfortune is to be governed by a bunch of tory fukcwits.
Who said anything about immigration? You twist everything around to race, immigration and skin colour. You are an obsessed racist pig. Totally disgusting.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Sorry but the meaningless post was yours, not mine, only parts are accurate, and space is available as I stated
As usual you were generalising, not looking at boring facts.
(It's a Tory "thing" isn't it)
:cool:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Who said anything about immigration? You twist everything around to race, immigration and skin colour. You are an obsessed racist pig. Totally disgusting.
Where did the "Skin colour" bit come from? he never mentioned it, did he? as usual you are doing the very thing you accuse others of, another standard Tory "Thing" isn't it?
Putting words into other people's mouths.
And this was uncalled for
"obsessed racist pig. Totally disgusting. "

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A not do anything about it.
B have not done anything about it when you had the opportunity.
C clearly have no intention of ever doing anything about it.
All that means is where their priority lies.
The difference in spending between one government to the next is usually small, 5% or less.
Tony Blair's government spent and John Major's is less than 5%. Similarly, between Jeremy Corbyn's manifesto in 2015 when pitched against TM's manifesto: 6%.

you can see it is reflected in the quality of public services.

Tory: priority to cut taxes, especially:

a) highest contribution rate, catering for the richest 5%
b) corporation tax > net proceed goes abroad, catering for the richest 1 per thousand.

All other parties: priority to spend more on public services.

what is more important is the result for ordinary people.
Just to remind you, the real incomes of Britons grew 18% during the Blair's years 1997–2006 while it is stagnant in the entire conservative era, the rich gets richer, the poor poorer since the conservatives took over in 2010.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It was totally necessary. He twists everything around to race related hatred. It’s all he has to counter any argument. He is a racist of the worse possible kind.
My point is that were significantly less densely populated than the Netherlands. But unlike t dutch, we are governed and managed by the kind of free marketers who promote unsuitable house building in flood plains

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We need to stop building houses. In the town closest to me, they have bulldozed an area of woodland on a hillside to cram in hundreds of houses and tarmac. The hillside has a lake at the bottom which feeds into a stream which runs through several villages downstream. Guess what's happened? The water has run off the new tarmac hillside, into the stream and caused flooding in the villages. What a surprise.

Another new development closely-by, built in a low lying area which has traditionally always flooded, has, well, flooded over the weekend. It's only been built within the last 18 months and they had diesel pumping sets down there pumping water out of the estate and back into the stream, which had burst its banks and caused the flooding in the first place.

We have too many houses, too much tarmac and too many people. That's the problem. The country is overloaded, it's not suitable for such a massive & uncontrolled population expansion.
.. export your excess people to Scotland!.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It was totally necessary. He twists everything around to race related hatred. It’s all he has to counter any argument. He is a racist of the worse possible kind.
Relax. As I mentioned before race is a hypothetical construct without any basis in fact. There is no such thing as race. Were all the same species. Being racist is not so much offensive as empirically invalid (you may want to tell your tory chums)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With the exception of Scotland, Wales, and much of the North of course, if only maps extended beyond the M25!
And of course locally we are in the process of demolishing the last of the 10,000 redundant houses in the city
Are we both on the same planet, one wonders? :cool:
Even in those less densely packed areas, we have a strange habit of building on low level ground like river flood plains and then getting upset when it floods.

It's not as if we are short of higher ground in this country.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
OK, a choice:

In early 2019, the Environment Agency said at least £1bn a year was needed to tackle flooding and coastal erosion – more than the £600m-£800m a year that has been spent since 2010.

So, a century of tackling flooding and coastal erosion. Or HS2?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I never knew Cummings could make humorous jokes
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/dominic-cummings-on-andrew-sabisky-1-6519480
Dominic Cummings says people should listen to 'superforecasters' rather than 'ignorant pundits'

In the Human race today
This man came last

Spike Milligan

Interesting video and an additional one of Boris upsetting his own band of morons
The Greeks and Romans had their superforecasters:

Haruspex (plural haruspices; also called aruspex) was a person trained to practice a form of divination called haruspicy (haruspicina), the inspection of the entrails (exta—hence also extispicy (extispicium)) of sacrificed animals, especially the livers of sacrificed sheep and poultry. The reading of omens specifically from the liver is also known by the Greek term hepatoscopy (also hepatomancy).

How about Sabiskyspicy?

Advertisers