Dalston fatal e-bike crash rider 'going too fast' - Court Case

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
what gets me is if she was millionaire the family of the estate could of proved the bike was not road legal and thus not road legal and got sent down down on that alone if you can afford it.

the fact this was not even a point in the case means the law means nothing unless you have the money to fight your case.

a shite load of servers with 250 million budget ;)
He could not be sent down for simply riding an illegal ebike.

It's a construction and use offence, punishable only by a fine.

Money to fight the case does not come into it, because in any event the case is prosecuted by a CPS lawyer.

The victim or their family has no say in that, however much they are worth.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
He could not be sent down for simply riding an illegal ebike.

It's a construction and use offence, punishable only by a fine.

Money to fight the case does not come into it, because in any event the case is prosecuted by a CPS lawyer.

The victim or their family has no say in that, however much they are worth.
well you get what you pay for ,or dont pmsl.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
well you get what you pay for ,or dont pmsl.
I only managed a minute of that shite, but what has dropping litter got to do with this thread?

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65 and Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
depends what law you want to use imo.

my bike is not road legal and has been for the last 5 years if i run you over what you going to do about it if you are dead?

D

Deleted member 25121

The retired coppers on here seem to be very defensive of the result, is anybody surprised?

D

Deleted member 25121

depends what law you want to use imo.

my bike is not road legal and has been for the last 5 years if i run you over what you going to do about it if you are dead?
Just make sure they're looking the other way when you run into them and you'll get way scot free.

The law is an ass.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If that is the case he should be charged for hit and run, No insurance,no mot,no tax and no licence.
The CPS chose to go for the more serious offence of without due care etc, etc, he was cleared of that also of the minor offences. If he was found guilty then the other lesser offences would have gone against him as contributory factors in the incident.
He can't be hounded and tried for other offences if the most serious wasn't proved, not enough evidence to say he was at fault in the initial contact, double jeopardy and all that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0046_02.JPG
if that front wheel goes up ur ass its going to hurt, those spokes are not going to bend on impact with a human @30mph ;)

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The retired coppers on here seem to be very defensive of the result, is anybody surprised?
Accepting a result is not the same as defending it. The result, whether we find it to be just or unjust, has been reached. It was simply a tragic accident, caused primarily by the deceased woman. Nothing will bring her back and, in the eyes of the law, judgement has been delivered. Even if some dispute that justice has not been seen to be done. The ebike rider has been judged on the merits of his case and he has walked away.. once more. He's free to ride another day. Although probably not on the same ebike. Are you not able to accept those facts and why?

Were you hoping that war would be declared on ebike speed settings? Were you hoping that he would be made an example of. To further the cause of those without dongles and to make those who have them think twice about riding at speed in excess of the cutoff? Of course many here might have felt the same way. However, on this occasion, it just wasn't to be. Has the accused learnt a valuable lesson? Hopefully, as his reported display of remorse would indicate. I think we all have. Speed kills.. and so does not paying attention. :oops:

Anyway, now he can go back to work and pay his way, as we all do. Without being a burden on the state. Excuse my detached black humour. It's a coping strategy that I've had to acquire over the years.

Rest in peace.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
No, because they have far more experience of the law in many differing cases than you have.
Ask yourself, if you appear in court, do you want the evidence against you carefully measured and then weighed against the letter of the law, or would you prefer some semi hysterical prejudiced verdict based on emotion?

• Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Lol
Well let's see now...... the driver of an illegal uninsured vehicle driving at an alleged 10mph over the speed limit (remember that wasn't contested) in a heavily pedestrianised area runs into and kills a woman, does a runner and get off scot free.

Is that not true?

Yep, in my considered opinion the law is one huge big ASS.

You're welcome.
[/QUO

You know nothing of the law as it certainly shows in your posts.
What I’m encouraging you to recognise is that you do not know all the facts. Your decision is based on unreliable third party opinions.

I for one detest the man not for making the stupid derestriction of the ebike or the speeding as those can be committed by stupid people not thinking but and a huge but, for leaving the scene. He should have stayed to help if possible and to face any consequences that were due to him.
As Jesus Christ said to the assembling mob ready to stone the woman of supposed Ill repute ‘let he who hath no sin cast the first stone’ somehow I feel if you were of those times would be standing there with the biggest rock!

You’re welcome

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He can't be hounded and tried for other offences if the most serious wasn't proved, not enough evidence to say he was at fault in the initial contact, double jeopardy and all that.
Almost. He can be punished for the separate offence of using a vehicle that was illegal on the roads since he, through his defence team, has already declared that guilt but not been sentenced for it.

Of course the police probably wouldn't bother since it would only involve a fine, though vehicle confiscation and crushing can be ordered too.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
though vehicle confiscation and crushing can be ordered too.
You mean once they've done with that piece of evidence they're going to crush it? I think that might be a foregone conclusion. Besides, from what I saw of the bike, it won't take much to finish it off. I can't see him being audacious enough to want it back. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You mean once they've done with that piece of evidence they're going to crush it? I think that might be a foregone conclusion.
Not at the moment since he hasn't been found guilty of anything and the crushing can only be with a court order following a related conviction, usually by magistrates. As you've posted, he's free to ride again.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Almost. He can be punished for the separate offence of using a vehicle that was illegal on the roads since he, through his defence team, has already declared that guilt but not been sentenced for it.

Of course the police probably wouldn't bother since it would only involve a fine, though vehicle confiscation and crushing can be ordered too.
He cannot be tried or punished for anything else related to this incident.

The prosecution get one go, they tried with the three charges.

He was acquitted of all three.

That is the end of it.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I want to make it very clear that I do not support dongles or any other illegality in ebikes.
I am sorry that this woman died.
But the law is the law, it may not be what we like and that is what politics is all about.
From my own experience, newspaper reporters never get things right.
Further more, their primary function, surprisingly is not to report the news, their main function is to sell newspapers.
That is why, a successful reporter will always slant his/her copy to fit the 'line' of their particular newspaper and hopefully appeal to the hopes, aspirations or prejudices of their readers.
To try and judge this case on the flimsy half accurate reporting of journalists is foolhardy