Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That's why he's committed this offence, to keep alive his claim that the world is against him, so satisfying those chumps who are foolish enough to believe his fairy story.

Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is just a worthless delusional thuggish yob, nothing more.
Flatterer

• :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Quite a while since mention of Yaxley-Lennon:

Tommy Robinson charged over Center Parcs swimming pool assault
A look at the English like wot she is spoke
How does one assault a Center Parcs swimming pool?
Mind you when a company can't even spell it's own name right I suppose anything is possible.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There are times like this one when being mad helps
In Aldi the checkout lady checked my four items, and asked if I was putting some items aside like the younger people are doing.
I said "no, at my age there isn't much point"
"Really, surely at your age it would be a good idea?"
"No, I reckon if I do all of these young 'uns will have nabbed the best seats by the fire when I get there"
At least the queue behind me with piles and piles of shopping laughed :cool:

Reactions: oyster and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Another Good idea destroyed and sold off because of Brexit
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/03/sirius-minerals-takeover-at-risk-after-investor-rebellion
Sirius Minerals to be sold after shareholder rebellion fails
Following the £405m sale the UK’s first major deep mine in 40 years now likely to go ahead
"Its share price tumbled after a £400m bond issue failed, a crushing setback the firm blamed on Brexit sending a chill through debt markets and a refusal by the government to offer loan guarantees. "

Would this be the same government that is going to make this a land of milk and honey?
"Fraser also criticised the prime minister, Boris Johnson, for refusing to issue a loan guarantee that could have helped Sirius secure $2.5bn (£1.9bn) in funding from the Wall Street bank JP Morgan.
“As much as the prime minister makes these statements about wanting to support the north, this is the poster child for what they should be supporting,” he said. “They chose not.”

Well Putin will be pleased with Boris

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The farmers will love this:

Rishi Sunak is set to announce in next week's budget that red diesel - so-called because it is marked with a dye - will no longer attract a lower fuel duty. It currently accounts for about 15% of total diesel sales in the UK and costs the Treasury about £2.4bn a year in revenue.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Rishi Sunak is set to announce in next week's budget that red diesel - so-called because it is marked with a dye - will no longer attract a lower fuel duty. It currently accounts for about 15% of total diesel sales in the UK and costs the Treasury about £2.4bn a year in revenue.
Believe it or not this is a move I applaud. Removing the rebate removes the market for fuel washing . Now farmers and other users should still be entitled to rebates ..but only on quantities actually consumed . It is relatively easy to do this in the financial accounts.
In my part of the country, washed diesel is more than a cottage industry. The chemical residue is left in side roads in 1000 litre tanks for disposal by our local authority. The residue is heavily acidic . Also the washed diesel,with the dye extracted ,is not conducive to engine lifetime.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Believe it or not this is a move I applaud. Removing the rebate removes the market for fuel washing . Now farmers and other users should still be entitled to rebates ..but only on quantities actually consumed . It is relatively easy to do this in the financial accounts.
In my part of the country, washed diesel is more than a cottage industry. The chemical residue is left in side roads in 1000 litre tanks for disposal by our local authority. The residue is heavily acidic . Also the washed diesel,with the dye extracted ,is not conducive to engine lifetime.
The criminal aspects of red diesel are appalling, I agree.

But I also question the impact of the end of red diesel on bodies such as local authorities and airports. Not out of sympathy but simply out of consideration of how budgets and contracts will be impacted.

Gritters
Cutting verges, hedges and trees.
Snow clearers
Road surfacing vehicles
Tar sprayers

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/red-diesel-call-for-evidence/red-diesel-call-for-evidence

Use for cooling on lorries has also seemed nonsensical as it forces them to have two separate fuel systems - one red/one not - in order to utilise the tax advantage.

(Wouldn't it be a good idea to phase out red diesel - or equivalent - across Europe in one go?)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

But I also question the impact of the end of red diesel on bodies such as local authorities and airports. Not out of sympathy but simply out of consideration of how budgets and contracts will be impacted.

Gritters
Snow clearers
Road surfacing vehicles
Tar sprayers

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/red-diesel-call-for-evidence/red-diesel-call-for-evidence

Use for cooling on lorries has also seemed nonsensical as it forces them to have two separate fuel systems - one red/one not - in order to utilise the tax advantage.

(Wouldn't it be a good idea to phase out red diesel - or equivalent - across Europe in one go?)
There is no reason why legitimate use of Diesel by these authorities would not just get a paper trail rebate. It need only be a VAT return entry.
Incidentally our RoI Red Diesel is or was Green Diesel ..(why I wonder?).

• Agree
Reactions: gw8izr and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Gritters
Snow clearers
Road surfacing vehicles
Tar sprayers

Our current UK law on red diesel is very complicated. For example it can be used in boats for a wide variety of uses, including propulsion, but not navigation. Work that one out!

Basically though it's not approved for pleasure boating propulsion while it can be used for all other purposes on board, such as heating, cooking, refrigeration etc.

It will be interesting to learn what the chancellor intends, since it's also used for home heating which could mean a huge rise in those costs for householders.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
For those who live in England and are not old enough, young enough, on some benefits or suffering in various ways already, you are now treated to:

The NHS prescription charge in England is set to increase by 15p to £9.15 from April.

The Government has announced that the price of single prescriptions and prescription prepayment certificates - essentially season tickets which cover the cost of all prescriptions over a certain period - will rise from Wednesday 1 April.

Here's what's changing:

• Single prescriptions will increase from £9 to £9.15.
  • Three-month prescription prepayment certificates will increase from £29.10 to £29.65.
  • 12-month prescription prepayment certificates will increase from £104 to £105.90.
If you ain't got exemption, and realise you need a prepaid certificate, get an FP57 receipt for each prescription you hannd in and you can get a refund when you get your PPC. No FP57 - no refund.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Wicky

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe an indication that the farmers are about to be sold down the river in the way our fishermen (and women*) are about to be.

* I just couldn't bring myself to type fisherpersons.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There is no reason why legitimate use of Diesel by these authorities would not just get a paper trail rebate. It need only be a VAT return entry.
VAT and public bodies really causes major problems.

Many years ago, an involvement with the NHS let me into some of the issues. Like if a new project is being planned they do not, initially, know if they will be able to reclaim the VAT. So they usually make an allowance which is approximately the effective VAT rate the organisation currently pays overall.

On a £10,000 project, they might allow 15% VAT - so £11,500. But at the end of the project they could have to pay 20% or 0%.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's what's changing:
  • Single prescriptions will increase from £9 to £9.15.
  • Three-month prescription prepayment certificates will increase from £29.10 to £29.65.
  • 12-month prescription prepayment certificates will increase from £104 to £105.90.
Now we pensioners have lost our free TV licences, I can see the free prescriptions disappearing too with this government and Brexit.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Fury over chancellor’s plans to scrap red diesel duty rate

© Tim Scrivener
© Tim Scrivener

Farmers have reacted with fury and astonishment to fresh reports that the chancellor is considering scrapping the lower rate of fuel duty on red diesel.
Rishi Sunak is reportedly planning to end the 11.1p/litre duty rate and charge users the full 57.7p/litre fuel tax at next week’s Budget, according to reports in today’s Financial Times.
If implemented, average farm diesel prices would rise to more than 98p/litre – an almost 50% rise in the cost of fuel – and would exceed £1/litre if oil prices return to January levels.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If RoI retains Green Red Diesel, what will there be to stop NI farmers filling up in RoI?

Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Surely the Unionist farmers wouldn't dream of such a thing? They insist they must be treated exactly the same way as we are in the mainland UK.
Nothing to stop E, S & W farmers doing the same. Not as if there is a border of any sort in the Irish Sea? Or a phytosanitary border meaning full scrub down procedures - both ways - surely?

Advertisers