Help! Best value rear hub e-bike for 5 mile round trip with medium gradients at one end

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
I may very well have jinxed myself with my last post asking for recommendations for the best e-bike in case I got a specific job (I received the e-mail saying I hadn't got it literally 5 minutes after posting!) so maybe I shouldn't do this, but...

I've applied for a job very nearby - just over 2.5 miles by road (just over a mile as the crow flies - sadly on the other side of the river valley, though!) - meaning a daily 5 mile round commute, 5 days a week. Rides to and from work would both culminate in what I'd call medium hill climbs. The hill on the way to work is short and mostly gentle with one serious slope (on a blind corner, too) and pretty bad road surface, while the hill on the way home is a fairly consistent medium gradient but is about half a mile long.

The job is physical and full-time, so I'm thinking of investing up to £1500 (there's no cycle to work scheme) on a rear hub e-bike just to make the hills less of a drain on my energy. None of the slopes would demand maximum assistance, just an extra push to keep me going - medium assistance at most, I'd guess. The road surface on the slope near the work site is full of potholes but the road is lightly enough used that I could feasibly dodge the holes without having to worry about oncoming traffic too much. It's a pretty mucky road (bordered on one side by a steep wooded slope), so disc or hydraulic brakes would be useful and I'd hope to get decent mudguards included in the price. Integrated lights would be a bonus as there are no streetlights for about 1.5 miles of the 2.5 mile route, but I have USB lights so that's not an absolute requirement.

There would be covered (and potentially heated) storage for the bike at work, so I'm not fussy about where the battery is mounted. I'm also not overly fussed about frame type - crossbar or step-through would be fine. I'm about 5'8" and about 14 stone (around 90kg) so from experience I can say chunky tyres would be a comfortable bonus.

Many thanks!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Most ebikes should do that quite happily. I'd look at the Woosh range. https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/
The new Rambletta should do fine and be more flexible if you might ever want it in the car or on a train; no disk brakes. Or the Faro; for that commute you won't be worried by the relatively limited range of the little battery. They'll both give quite a bit of change from you £1500.

Reactions: Spider

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Just be careful you don't limit yourself to your current needs, you may find like a lot of us, once you have discovered e-biking you will want to be on the bike in your free time too, which will mean you'll want a bike which is comfortable over distances and with a good size good range. Do you enjoy touring ? or do you prefer mountain biking ?
If you have no interest other than a means of transport to work, then the suggestions so far will suit (or pretty much any large wheeled ebike that fits you)

Reactions: Andy McNish

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Why do you want a rear spoke breaker, sorry, hub drive?

Your budget would stretch to a quality crank drive with the Bosch or Yamaha motor.

The Scott in the link, or similar, would also be well equipped if your ebiking goes beyond commuting.

If you are going to stick with the short commute, the Gtech bike would be ideal.

It has the rear hub motor you seek, and a belt drive for clean running and low maintenance.

You would need to equip it.

The bike trade was very sniffy about Gtech when they entered the market, but the bike has proved itself.

A mate of mine has been commuting on his for two or three years and thinks it's just the job.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The bike trade was very sniffy about Gtech when they entered the market, but the bike has proved itself.
for 3 good reasons:

1. The Gtech battery's capacity is 200WH, compared to typical 500WH that the OP's budget will allow.
2. Single speed - making it hard for a lot of customers to climb steep gradients.
3. No suspension, limiting the trails customers can ride.

Specific to the OP's circumstances, he did say: one serious slope, bad road surface.

daily 5 mile round commute, 5 days a week. Rides to and from work would both culminate in what I'd call medium hill climbs. The hill on the way to work is short and mostly gentle with one serious slope (on a blind corner, too) and pretty bad road surface, while the hill on the way home is a fairly consistent medium gradient but is about half a mile long.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
for 3 good reasons:

1. The Gtech battery's capacity is 200WH, compared to typical 500WH that the OP's budget will allow.
2. Single speed - making it hard for a lot of customers to climb steep gradients.
3. No suspension, limiting the trails customers can ride.

Specific to the OP's circumstances, he did say: one serious slope, bad road surface.
He describes the slopes as only requiring medium assistance.

The commute is very short, so he could use full power on a Gtech all the way, which might equate to medium assistance on 250w legal ebike.

The Gtech is also light which means such assistance as you do get out of it feels greater than on a heavier bike.

Provided the OP doesn't weigh 20 stone or more, the Gtech could suit very well.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
He describes the slopes as only requiring medium assistance.

The commute is very short, so he could use full power on a Gtech all the way, which might equate to medium assistance on 250w legal ebike.

The Gtech is also light which means such assistance as you do get out of it feels greater than on a heavier bike.

Provided the OP doesn't weigh 20 stone or more, the Gtech could suit very well.
if you have to consider the Gtech, consider as well the Woosh Faro.
The Faro has about the same weight (16kgs), but has a 36V 8AH battery, 44% more capacity with a possibility of adding an external battery on the downtube, 8-speed instead of one, and hydraulic brakes instead of rim brakes, 5 assist levels instead of 1, suspension seat post instead of rigid post, the Faro comes with lights, bell, mudguards, racks, kickstand and it costs you less too.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think the Gtech now has two assist levels.

Your Faro may also be worth a look.

Although I reckon the belt and simplicity of single speed makes the Gtech a better choice if the OP is only going to use the bike for his short commute.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Although I reckon the belt and simplicity of single speed makes the Gtech a better choice if the OP is only going to use the bike for his short commute.
simplicity or lack of practical features?
I wonder how long you would live with a Gtech and how long you would ride the Faro if I lent you one.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
'Five minutes' and 'a lot longer'.

A Gtech is not suitable for my use, but the idea is to find one that suits the OP.

If you fancy lending me a bike again, I'd pick your new Rambletta, which is certainly my type of bike.

Particularly at this time of year when I'm still on generally shorter rides.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you see already that you wouldn't keep it five minutes, why would you recommend it? People may have a specific use in mind when they ask on here but it's not the only one.
They may also want to share it with other members of the family from time to time.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I recommend it because it would suit a short commute well.

As I posted, if the OP thinks he might get into leisure riding your Faro would be a better bet.

I think a lot of commuters only ride to work and are glad to get off the bike at the weekend.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'd pick your new Rambletta
the Rambletta would have sold out before the next batch arrives in 4 months, may be even 5 months if CORVID19 causes a lot of troubles. If you are still interested then, I'll lend you one.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think probably most people who commute only 5 miles round trip will want to use the bike at the weekend too. I don't know about OP. Maybe even he doesn't know how much he would ride the bike outside his commute. I think the pros and cons are pretty clear from above. If OP is absolutely absolutely certain it will be that short commute only, then the Gtech is probably best. If he's at all in doubt or certain (but not absolutely) he should go for the Faro.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
the Rambletta would have sold out before the next batch arrives in 4 months, may be even 5 months if CORVID19 causes a lot of troubles. If you are still interested then, I'll lend you one.
Thanks.

Yes, I would still be interested because it is my type of bike in lots of ways.

As age takes hold I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get my leg over (ho-ho) a cross bar, so that's another factor.

I would bash out a suitable review which you can use on the website like you did last time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks.

Yes, I would still be interested because it is my type of bike in lots of ways.

As age takes hold I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get my leg over (ho-ho) a cross bar, so that's another factor.

I would bash out a suitable review which you can use on the website like you did last time.
Jon, a member of the forum, sent me his review of the Rambletta.
He may publish it later on here.
We talked about it quite a bit over last weekend. Jon restores old bikes as a hobby. He gave me lots of good pointers which I intend to incorporate into the next batch.
1. extended stem: change to non-extended Dahon type.
2. suspension seatpost: needs one 10cm longer or telescopic.
3. gearing: change rear cogs to 12T-28T or 11T-28T
4. brakes: change to disc brakes
5. grips: change to soft large grips

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My AVE, which is a very similar design, has a 10 speed 11-34 on the back.

The gear range is sufficient, but I wouldn't say it's too wide.

A roadie cassette on a 20" wheel bike seems an odd choice to me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't have much feedback. The Rambletta has 44T chainring because I could not find a full chainguard for a bigger 48T ring. Coupled to 13T-28T, it's perfect for 15mph. The Rambletta has large balloon type tyres, so the speed is a bit higher than usual 20" bikes.
Jon was the first one who suggests 12T-28T - I think he likes riding it at around 17mph.