Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well now!
Boris the balding and his crew are finally getting the idea of fighting the virus
BBCnews
UK to spend £46m on vaccine and testing research

Too little and too late, we should be pumping billions into this campaign

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-news-live-brexit-coronavirus-huawei-priti-patel-latest-a9380611.html

Boris Johnson news – live: Outrage at ‘astounding’ cost of Brexit, as PM faces Commons rebellion over Huawei

My reply
oldgroaner @oldgroaner
Never has so much been spent by "so few" Out of the pockets of so many Entirely for the benefit of the "so few" Intending to be permanently parasitic on "so many"
4:47 PM · Mar 6, 2020·Twitter Web App
Just think how many garden bridges you could not have built for that!

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-news-live-brexit-coronavirus-huawei-priti-patel-latest-a9380611.html

Boris Johnson news – live: Outrage at ‘astounding’ cost of Brexit, as PM faces Commons rebellion over Huawei

My reply
oldgroaner @oldgroaner
Never has so much been spent by "so few" Out of the pockets of so many Entirely for the benefit of the "so few" Intending to be permanently parasitic on "so many"
4:47 PM · Mar 6, 2020·Twitter Web App
How come anyone is in the least surprised? Well, in the direction of it being so high.

My view is that it will be far, far more than that once everything else is added in.

At best, this is government expenditure up to 1st January 2020. How much else has been spent by government but somehow not yet in those figures? How much by non-government (companies, individuals, and just about every other entity that can spend)? Probably doesn't include Holyrood and Senedd.

Then start adding in the commercial disadvanatges we have suffered already. How many cars are built here now?

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Well now!
Boris the balding and his crew are finally getting the idea of fighting the virus
BBCnews
UK to spend £46m on vaccine and testing research

Too little and too late, we should be pumping billions into this campaign
4.4 billion on corona virus and 46 million on investigating the downsides of any possible leaving of the EU?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then start adding in the commercial disadvantages we have suffered already. How many cars are built here now?
The cost of Brexit in cars made here:

2016 - - - 1.722 million

2017 - - - 1.671 million

2018 - - - 1.519 million

2019 - - - 1.303 million

Down by over 24% since the referendum and forecast to drop even lower in 2020 with Honda leaving and both Jaguar-Land Rover and Nissan with declining sales.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And we also have the bungled "food for the self isolating from the supermarkets" pack of lies from Hancock farce to round off the day.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And we also have the bungled "food for the self isolating from the supermarkets" pack of lies from Hancock farce to round off the day.
If someone has stocked up for a fortnight, and then comes down with covid-19, that foresight will mean they do not need others then to deliver. Avoiding being a burden and reducing need for any contact at all. (Obviously, this goes wrong if they are ill enough to need hospital treatment.)

If somone has stocked up for a fortnight, and doesn't come down with covid-19, they will have been selfish, grasping, inconsiderate panic shoppers.

Morrisons puts non-essential tech changes on ice as panic-stricken shoppers strip stores
It's like Christmas all over again, source tells us
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/06/morrisons_technology_change_freeze_coronavirus_panic/

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
If someone has stocked up for a fortnight, and then comes down with covid-19, that foresight will mean they do not need others then to deliver. Avoiding being a burden and reducing need for any contact at all. (Obviously, this goes wrong if they are ill enough to need hospital treatment.)

If somone has stocked up for a fortnight, and doesn't come down with covid-19, they will have been selfish, grasping, inconsiderate panic shoppers.

Morrisons puts non-essential tech changes on ice as panic-stricken shoppers strip stores
It's like Christmas all over again, source tells us
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/06/morrisons_technology_change_freeze_coronavirus_panic/
Went to starbucks today and had sudden coughing fit (while reading this thread of all things, though there sincerely wasnt any link). Suddenly realised there had followed a relative silence and looked up to find several decidedly not happy looking faces staring at me. Theres a social part to covid 19 that's quite fascinating.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I don’t know what’s made me third this, but how are we doing in the UK with our space port. I remember it being announced with much fanfare a few years back.

Have we launched much yet? A few satellites? A supply mission to the ISS perhaps?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I don’t know what’s made me third this, but how are we doing in the UK with our space port. I remember it being announced with much fanfare a few years back.

Have we launched much yet? A few satellites? A supply mission to the ISS perhaps?
PP. Maybe.

Space Hub Sutherland planning application submitted
  • 11 February 2020

Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Health minister for Australian state of Victoria:

However Mikakos said there was no need for panic-buying of supplies.

“Have enough of what you need if you need to self isolate for 14 days; that does not mean filling up your home and garage with toilet rolls,” she said.

1) Buying a full shop for 14 days would represent a serious increase in our usual shopping pattern;
2) In a household of several people, the time from first case to recovery of last could be much longer than 14 days;
3) I'd be amazed if there are any home delivery slots left as far ahead as they can be booked.

I am so thankful that we live in a decent enough sized, and separate enough property to manage self-isolation, should we need. Why, we can just about manage isolation from each other. (One could stay in bedroom with en-suite, the other in another bedroom but using bathroom.) Not much fun. Food prep still an invitation to cross infect.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
According to the Daily Fail
Elderly people could be confined to their homes next week as the government ramps up its response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Ministers are expected to advise people to visit elderly relatives as soon as possible before 'social distancing' policies are introduced in which British pensioners could be warned to stay at home and will likely be told to avoid crowded areas.

When can I expect the government to send me the food and shopping we will need to survive?
Alernatively, have I got to dye what bit of hair and beard I have black so I can lie about my age and do essential shopping?

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
According to the Daily Fail
Elderly people could be confined to their homes next week as the government ramps up its response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Ministers are expected to advise people to visit elderly relatives as soon as possible before 'social distancing' policies are introduced in which British pensioners could be warned to stay at home and will likely be told to avoid crowded areas.

When can I expect the government to send me the food and shopping we will need to survive?
Alernatively, have I got to dye what bit of hair and beard I have black so I can lie about my age and do essential shopping?
How old is elderly?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Health minister for Australian state of Victoria:

However Mikakos said there was no need for panic-buying of supplies.

“Have enough of what you need if you need to self isolate for 14 days; that does not mean filling up your home and garage with toilet rolls,” she said.

1) Buying a full shop for 14 days would represent a serious increase in our usual shopping pattern;
2) In a household of several people, the time from first case to recovery of last could be much longer than 14 days;
3) I'd be amazed if there are any home delivery slots left as far ahead as they can be booked.

I am so thankful that we live in a decent enough sized, and separate enough property to manage self-isolation, should we need. Why, we can just about manage isolation from each other. (One could stay in bedroom with en-suite, the other in another bedroom but using bathroom.) Not much fun. Food prep still an invitation to cross infect.
Hang on, the assumption is that the person self isolating does not have the virus,but may have been in contact with someone who had. Consequently it is 14 days since that person had contact that is counted. If there are other people in the premises who did not have direct contact with the someone who had, then de facto they also will be OK.
It just becomes a bummer if on day 15 you venture outside and meet a shower of Italians who just came over for the match , since they paid for accommodation.. then the 14 days starts afresh.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How to tell?
The sudden boost to the national finances as they no longer claim their daily expenses for attending the House.

That can reach over £1.2 millions a week if all attend, and in addition government ministers in the HoL receive their full ministerial salary.

Since 2011 there have been reform proposal to reduce the number of peers to under half, but they've never been passed into law having hit the buffers* twice.

*Duffers? ;)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hang on, the assumption is that the person self isolating does not have the virus,but may have been in contact with someone who had. Consequently it is 14 days since that person had contact that is counted. If there are other people in the premises who did not have direct contact with the someone who had, then de facto they also will be OK.
It just becomes a bummer if on day 15 you venture outside and meet a shower of Italians who just came over for the match , since they paid for accommodation.. then the 14 days starts afresh.
If, say, I have just got it this morning, and the two of us are in the house. It could be something like a week before my symptoms appear. And it might only be then that partner gets it from me - so her 14 days starts then. (Delayed transmission within our house could occur by chance, because it becomes more infectious as symptoms appear, because we are taking extra precautions already. Who knows?)

Advertisers