Best accessories for new bike commuter

davepartridge

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2020
I have been lurking for a while and this is my first post. I will shortly start a new job where I am intending to start commuting by bike and this community has already proved very helpful.

My journey is just under 5 miles each way, with a mixture of urban roads, country roads and cycle paths, and a couple of sustained or steep hills. I'm 6 foot 1, just under 13 stone, and 34. Living in Essex, I've visited Woosh and am likely to buy either a Faro or Camino as I think they suit my needs. If anyone had any comments then I'd be happy to receive them.

What I'm now looking at is what accessories I should look to buy. Presumably I should get some decent lights as some of my journey is unlit, some good reflective clothing etc., but any advice from any seasoned commuters on essential kit would be appreciated. I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks' time and this is a good excuse to put some decent kit on my birthday list (rather than have people complain that my list is the usual combination of socks and chocolate!).

Thank you!

Dave

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex

• Useful

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Although very much a minority view, I wear neoprene wellies in poor weather. Cheap ones (Aldi, about £20, sold for fishing) have been fine for me. Keeps the bottoms of trousers dry and protects from splahes and spray. If overtrousers have been needed, the overlap is an impregnable seal.

(Ordinary wellies would be horrible - it is the soft, pliable nature of neoprene which makes them work.)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You are starting commuting in the better weather, so your immediate needs may be very few.

Good lights are always worth having, but will you use them before the clocks change in the autumn?

Do you have luggage covered?

You may want to carry stuff year round, so panniers or a rack bag would be a good idea for your birthday list.

Commuting is hard use on all bicycle components and accessories.

No point in buying cheap stuff that won't last.

There are a handful of quality luggage makers, but the simplest recommendation is get something with Ortlieb written on it.

Their stuff is genuinely waterproof, which very few bags are.

You can google the obvious, but their relatively compact Sport Roller panniers have enough room for most commuters, but are not too big.

If you only need to deploy one, put it on the off side of the bike.

This gives you a bit more road presence from behind.

• Useful

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Welcome Dave,
don't forget the boring bits.
A good puncture outfit and the ability to use it!
A decent quality pump, a spare tube and tyre levers.
Tools to fit every nut and bolt on the bike.
A roll of strong gaffer type tape and some sturdy cable clips can often come in very useful.
Dave.

• Useful
Reactions: RobF and LeighPing

Emanresu

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2019
I'll vouch for the Ortlieb. I have two sets of 70l which I alternative between trips. Nothing gets wet even on the wettest days.

But this leads me to a question and I hope the OP doesn't mind me jumping in. My new Specialized TL doesn't have the fixing point for the panniers' bike rack. I've been pointed to the Thule Pack N Pedal but can't see any reviews of it. Any comments on it or alternatives.

• Useful

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I used to use ordinary wellies for a similar commute when it was wet. (Mine was probably a little hillier but nothing huge.) Make a huge difference with waterproof trousers over them you know you won't get water dribbling in. I found Merino lined walking socks make them perfectly comfortable for the relatively short journey; I don't know how much better neoprene boots would have been. One difficulty was finding a good way to keep them trouser ends out of the gears, regular clips or straps aren't big enough.

It was the reason I first bought a mobile phone; but I guess you can take that for granted these days (even if you can't take reception for granted).

• Useful

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For cold weather riding a cold face & ears can be unpleasant, I wear a multi use buff.
For lights USB chargeable, for my town/commute bike I have them wired/switched to work off of the bikes battery.

Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi viz is common place and sometimes blends in with pedestrian and other use so I wear a cycle wind/rain jacket of a lighter bright blue colour, something that stands out and is different.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I should say my wired lights aren't of the wired USB type .

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
For cold weather riding a cold face & ears can be unpleasant, I wear a multi use buff.
Big silk scarf folded into a triangle. Put it on first, over the ears and down the back a bit, then helmet, then coat. Helmet before coat makes sure scarf doesn't slip, and coat last makes sure the back of your neck won't get uncovered.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'll vouch for the Ortlieb. I have two sets of 70l which I alternative between trips. Nothing gets wet even on the wettest days.

But this leads me to a question and I hope the OP doesn't mind me jumping in. My new Specialized TL doesn't have the fixing point for the panniers' bike rack. I've been pointed to the Thule Pack N Pedal but can't see any reviews of it. Any comments on it or alternatives.

The Thule rack is a quality item, but is more a platform rack than a pannier one, so may only suit a trunk bag.

I'm not familiar with your bike, but there is universal advice for a bike without mounts.

There are racks which use an elongated quick release skewer for the legs - not sure if there are any that cover through axles yet.

The other alternative is P clips, putting the rack leg where the clip's bolt is.

Achieving a strong enough grip on the bike's tubing may be difficult, so it may be a light duty solution.

As regards the top mounting, you can get a seat post collar that has rack mounts machined into it.

A money no object solution would be a Tailfin, which does now support through axles.

P clips which claim to suit pannier racks:

Seatpost collar:

Kit for quick release skewer mounting:

Reactions: Emanresu and Deus

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Planet X is a good place for decent priced stuff. Carnac Waterproof Crab Hand Winter Gloves are very good. They often have great value deals on.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Best thing I bought for my bike, was a mirror, wouldn't be without one, let's you know what's going on behind you without constantly craning your neck round.

Reactions: onthe-edge and D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My Thule rear rack has side panniers, you buy the side drop/rack bar frames as an extra add on.

• Informative
Reactions: RobF and Emanresu

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Best thing I bought for my bike, was a mirror, wouldn't be without one, let's you know what's going on behind you without constantly craning your neck round.
I use the mirror that attaches to your eyeglasses - it does not suffer from vibration (unlike those attached to the bike) & you can change the viewing angle by moving your head.
I always wear glasses when cycling to keep bits out of my eyes.