Replacement TSDZ2 chainring

xander02

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 4, 2017
London
Hi, I have installed the TSDZ2 motor as a single speed set-up. The stock chainring is 42t. The chain-line isn't perfect, its slightly offset from the rear gear. The stock chainring is not flat but is slightly offset towards the centre which i believe must be designed to reduce the chain-line displacement.

I would like to replace the chainring to 44t, however if I purchase an "off the shelf chainring" it is flat and not built with an offset, this means it will put out the chain-line even further.

I believe it is possible to purchase the TSDZ2 on some websites and possible to chose different sized chainrings.

Does anyone know where I can purchase these chainrings separately?

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Grigoriy

Just Joined
Jan 30, 2018
London
I couldn't find any dished chainring other than stock 42t chainring which come with the motor. Even those who sell different size chainrings for TSDZ2 on Aliexpress for around £20 actually sell standard flat 110bcd chainrings.
Anyway I think that TSDZ2 with single speed is not the best combination possible because if you want to go fast with small sprocket on the back wheel you'll have to put a lot of stress on the motor from the start.
I personally have TSDZ2 setup with 50t flat chainring:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainrings/compact-chainring-steel-110mm-bcd-5-arm-silver-50t/

And Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub with 18t 10mm offset sprocket :

http://www.forgecustomcycles.com/custom-build-your-own-electric-motorised-bikes/product/62-offset-sprocket-18t-10mm/category_pathway-12/related_product-519.html?limitstart=168

I found this combination is the best possible for single speed bike frame

Reactions: fico99

xander02

Nov 4, 2017
London
I couldn't find any dished chainring other than stock 42t chainring which come with the motor. Even those who sell different size chainrings for TSDZ2 on Aliexpress for around £20 actually sell standard flat 110bcd chainrings.
Anyway I think that TSDZ2 with single speed is not the best combination possible because if you want to go fast with small sprocket on the back wheel you'll have to put a lot of stress on the motor from the start.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainrings/compact-chainring-steel-110mm-bcd-5-arm-silver-50t/

http://www.forgecustomcycles.com/custom-build-your-own-electric-motorised-bikes/product/62-offset-sprocket-18t-10mm/category_pathway-12/related_product-519.html?limitstart=168

Fantastic! This is just the information I needed. Are you getting good chain alignment even though the main chainring isn’t dished?

Grigoriy

Just Joined
Jan 30, 2018
London
It's good enough about 1-2 mm difference. I use bmx chain with it without any problems. The only thing you have to take care when you install that sprocket is do it as Sheldon Brown says:
"After re-installing the sprocket, it is a good idea to seat the circlip by going around it and tapping it lightly with a hammer and punch. "
Otherwise the circlip can pop out because of dished sprocket and much bigger side force.
I personally use Sram circlip. I found them a bit stiffer.

fico99

Just Joined
Jul 15, 2019

Thank you for this great feedback. I installed a TSDZ2 recently on my 2005 Gary Fischer Tassajara mountain bike with 26" wheels and my pedal cadence is too high, so was thinking to replace the 42T stock chainring with a bigger one. I used to have a 22T, 36T, 44T in the front and I have a Shimano LX 9-speed in the back. I am currently riding mostly in 7th, 8th and 9th gear only (riding more on the streets than off-road). What chainring size would you recommend so that I will use my other gears as well? 44T, 46T, 48T, 50T or 52T?

wmqu999

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2019
I am new to the site. But I was able to get a 44T chainring from Aliexpress for the TSDZ2. It has the same offset as the standard 42T chainring.

Weldinpatt

Sep 23, 2018
on my Pashley Tongsheng 5speed X-RD5 (w) keep 42t chainring and reduce teeth number at the rear. Woosh void warranty if the end user fits a larger chainring than 42t there are loads of sprocket sizes 13t - 22/24t, that will make it harder to pedal and go faster too , i place hill climbing ability before top speed so run a 24/42 giving me a reckless 1.75;1 primary ratio, chainline is very good as is, though i am toying with reducing the chainring, gearing down even more. "not normal" i hear, well yes but i'm a real weed, disabled following an illness. you know when your going up hill (a cadence of between 45 and 50 rpm) yet so slowly you loose balance , that's the time to stop gearing down. be interesting to watch the effect all this gearing down will have on the hub.

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012
I am new to the site. But I was able to get a 44T chainring from Aliexpress for the TSDZ2. It has the same offset as the standard 42T chainring.
Hello - I am after a 44T as well - can you post a link to the one you bought please. Thanks

6511iain

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2012

tcdoe

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2021
Hi All,
In case anyone's still looking, I found a 50 tooth chainring with 10 mm offset specifically designed for the TSDZ2, at Eco Cycles (link here). I've ordered one, will try out and post back here.