Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
With "only essential" travelling now mandated, I can't see our bikes, used purely for leisure, going out for some months.
What is the best "lay-up" practice for my wife's bike, that one is an e-bike?
I seem to recall talk of taking the battery SoC down to about 60% of its normal range?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
With only "essential" travelling mandated, I can't see our bikes, used purely leisure, going out for some months.
What is the best "lay-up" practice for my wife's bike, that one is an e-bike?
I seem to recall talk of taking the battery SoC down to about 60% of its normal range?
Well excersise is totally allowed and as I live y the sea and south downs I can and will cycle whilst remaining socially distant very easily. Maybe in busy towns its different

That said what bike does your wife have? Some. Like Bosch ones have a hibernation mode on their batteries.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
A Kalkhoff Agattu 8, I believe a 2016 but purchased 2017.

The battery does go into a sort of hibernation, if unused for a week, in appearing to be dead to the bike, until the on battery status red button is pushed, waking it up.
Does that mode self protect the battery form high charge state strains etc?

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
Without being too miserable, here in Spain it is forbidden to go out for a walk or ride and that’s been so for 8 days now. I’m hugely frustrated as my conversion kit arrived and is now fitted and ready to go...thinking maybe I’ll use it to go collect groceries.

Reactions: PC2017

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does that mode self protect the battery form high charge state strains etc?
It doesn't, but if you wake it up each week two or three weeks running, the BMS will use a tiny bit of current during those weeks, taking the top edge off the charge. That's the only bit that can lose a real degree of battery life over a few months.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The current guidelines seem less stringent (and sensible?) than I had thought/expected. In particular, even self-isolation has an 'except exercise' clause. Cycling is clearly excellent exercise, and probably a bit better at keeping 2m than walking is.

It is odd how everybody seems to go to the honeypots to exercise though. This may lead to much tougher rules than are necessary that rule out exercise even in more sensible places. (Much easier to say this from a county town than it might be for people living in London and other big cities; but I bet even there lots of the streets are almost empty of cars, bikes and pedestrians and fairly pleasant?)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
every one has lost the plot 14000 ppl died today and 48 from controller virus.

14000 will also die every day on average in the uk anyway.

when dead ppl are being pilled up at street corners for pick up to be burned to dust on mass ill stay inside ;)

watching the news gives you brain rot its all bs ;)

Reactions: Charliefox

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Social disatancing whay a load of crap, jst look at the masses in the supermarkets.
And to day for instance Boxhill what a joke , the NT carr parks were rammo and cars abandoned on the roadsides.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have a theory on bog roll bandits, why is every one buying them on mass?

because they are so fkn stupid they can not compute wiping there own ass hole with out one and dont know how to do it. :rolleyes:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are just selfish greedy bastards SW.

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
It doesn't, but if you wake it up each week two or three weeks running, the BMS will use a tiny bit of current during those weeks, taking the top edge off the charge. That's the only bit that can lose a real degree of battery life over a few months.
sorry flecc, what do you mean by wake it up

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
every one has lost the plot 14000 ppl died today and 48 from controller virus.

14000 will also die every day on average in the uk anyway.

when dead ppl are being pilled up at street corners for pick up to be burned to dust on mass ill stay inside ;)

watching the news gives you brain rot its all bs ;)
You obviously don't understand what is going on & your numbers are nonsense eg 14,000 x 365 = 5,110,000 deaths per year. There are not 5 million deaths per year. The real annual death rate is about 600,000.

The issue isn't really the disease itself which is like a particularly nasty 'flu with even some young fit healthy people developing a serious pneumonia requiring ventilation on ICU & some dying.

The big issue is that it's a new virus for humans & we have no vaccine or immunity so everybody is vulnerable. If only 1% of people who get COVID-19 need to be admitted to hospital then 1% of 65 million will completely overwhelm the NHS & the number who need to be admitted to hospital is likely many more than 1%.

An average hospital in the UK has 500-600 beds with 15-20 ICU beds but imagine if every single day 20, 30, 40, 50 patients with severe pneumonia arrive & 5-10 of those require ventilation on ICU. Then think what happens after weeks or months of this. People still have heart attacks, appendicitis, need cancer treatment etc etc

What's happening is absolutely terrifying & unprecedented. The only hope of coping is to try & slow down the rate of infection so that the NHS is not overwhelmed & to buy enough time for development of a vaccine. Unfortunately at the moment the number of cases is increasing exponentially & the only way of slowing spread is to stay in our homes as much as possible & restrict all contact with other people to a minimum.