Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I partly agree. But the two waves/peaks are likely around 9 months apart; which might make it impracticable.
I'm not sure if current predictions indicate a subpeak a month or so after the first; some graphs have indicated that .. but as the modellers say there are so many variables/instabilities in the models that details like that are very unreliable anyway.

According to current graphs a good hoard around mid-late September might be worth while?
I think we have two waves because the simulation says that you have to break the large single wave into two to help the NHS.

The model is adjusted such that the NHS is just about coping with the first wave to buy us some time.
Not knowing the height and width of the large single wave leads to not knowing how big the second wave will be, just a guess that it will peak around Christmas for obvious reasons.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Small business owners are complaining because government assistance is being awarded based on wages they have previously declared. Apparently, they have been paying themselves a very small wage and taking dividends from the company to boost the income. Presumably, this allows these people to pay less tax.

Now that the assistance is being based on their declared small wage, they aren’t happy.

Is it mean of me to have no sympathy?

I think when the self employed assistance is announced, there will be many wishing they’d filled out their tax return a bit more honestly!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I wish our NHS changes its protocol for reporting the death count.
At present, they count the deaths only after the family allows it, so the figure is systematically wrong.
Yesterday's count is not relevant to those who actually died yesterday of corona virus, but days before and there is no way to know if the total over time is still correct.
I suggest next time you log into the forum, you put your hand up so we can count the dead, and use the government's equation to scale the result up to cover 65 million or so

We may as well use the officially approved methods.
:cool:
Thus avoiding the spread of inconvenient actually relevant facts

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Small business owners are complaining because government assistance is being awarded based on wages they have previously declared. Apparently, they have been paying themselves a very small wage and taking dividends from the company to boost the income. Presumably, this allows these people to pay less tax.

Now that the assistance is being based on their declared small wage, they aren’t happy.

I think when the self employed assistance is announced, there will be many wishing they’d filled out their tax return a bit more honestly!
That reminds me of a famous Census in China , the numbers for one used to calculate tax was an order of magnitude smaller than a second one used to control Famine relief!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Everyone say... oh how sad ...:rolleyes:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A group of youths spat in the face of an RSPCA officer and shouted “have corona bitch”, as she tried to rescue a swan, the animal charity have said.

I have always had deep reservations about tasers, but some behaviour makes me think I would be the first to fire one, given the chance.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I am still not convinced that not driving is an answer in any way:

North Yorkshire Police has said it will use checkpoints to stop vehicles and ask drivers if their journey is essential during the lockdown.

Officers will ask motorists where they are going and why, and remind them of the message to stay at home.

The force’s assistant chief constable, Mike Walker, said:

The new and significant restrictions announced by the Prime Minister on Monday evening spell out very clearly what each and every one of us must do to save lives. The message is clear and the warning stark. Stay at home, save lives.

“These are the lives of the people we know and love. Our partners, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, children, grandparents.”
Checkpoints will be not be signposted and could appear anywhere at any time, the force added.

Just what awful effect does it have to drive a few miles down the road, stop, have a look at the scenery, maybe have a cup of tea (from a flask already made at home), and come home? The psychological impact of self-imprisonment can itself be damaging.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

North Yorkshire Police has said it will use checkpoints to stop vehicles and ask drivers if their journey is essential during the lockdown.

Officers will ask motorists where they are going and why, and remind them of the message to stay at home.

Checkpoints will be not be signposted and could appear anywhere at any time, the force added.

Just what awful effect does it have to drive a few miles down the road, stop, have a look at the scenery, maybe have a cup of tea (from a flask already made at home), and come home? The psychological impact of self-imprisonment can itself be damaging.
I agree with you Oyster, that is a waste of resources. There is no problems if people in very small groups wander aimlessly around streets, country lanes, beach es, shopping malls in the open. I don't see why golf courses are not open.. not the bars or pro shop or showers but the pitch itself. The guys and gals could change their shoes in their cars. I am no fan of Golf, but in terms of an aimless occupation well away from others, it meets tge the criterion.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

It was inevitable that some clown would go over the top
So remember.
When stopped, wind down the window and salute with an outstretched right arm and annunciate clearly

"Sieg Heil! gute Konstanoon umgänglich" remembering to appear drunk :cool:

On second thoughts it might be better to be polite, how about

"Thank you officer for your sage advice, you can be sure I have taken every word to heart.
see you here same time tomorrow? :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Robert Peston has this
Dyson may have jumped gun on its announcement of supplying thousands of ventilators to NHS. PM's official spokesman says Dyson's new machine has not had approval from Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, and no government money will go to Dyson unless...
and until it gets approval. I read into that Dyson was possibly trying to put pressure on government to give approval by disclosing its ventilator plans yesterday. But a minister to whom I've just spoken tells me it's by no means certain Dyson will get approval
Devonboy
@Toryboy1960

·
27m

Replying to
@Peston
The Govt has also jumped the gun, ref Newsnight last night. Zahawi effectively claimed it was all sorted.

Monsignor it's all Corbyn's fault.
@ItCorbyn

Replying to
@Peston
Gtech have designed a ventilator and can make one thousand units per day, in the UK, why is this being ignored by the media ?https://gtech.co.uk/ventilators

Travis Roberts@TravisRoberts72

·
1h

Because they didn’t donate to the Tories.

2 more replies

BremainInSpain #FBPE@BremainInSpain

·
Replying to
@Peston
What....Dyson caught out lying...

Quelle surprise.... It's not like Dyson lied about sunlit uplands when Leaving EU is it?

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
A group of youths spat in the face of an RSPCA officer and shouted “have corona bitch”, as she tried to rescue a swan, the animal charity have said.

I have always had deep reservations about tasers, but some behaviour makes me think I would be the first to fire one, given the chance.
Unfortunately there is what can only be described as complete scum in British society. I’ve been unfortunate enough to have encountered a great deal of it, a lot more than the average person, which has tainted my views. I try not to let it, but I know there is a lot of this type of scum out there. I wouldn’t lose any sleep and I wouldn’t give it a second thought if they disappeared in the back of a van one dark night, never to be heard of or seen again.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and tommie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Which is potentially stupid since it creates additional contacts, putting the officers and drivers at risk.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I agree with you Oyster, that is a waste of resources. There is no problems if people in very small groups wander aimlessly around streets, country lanes, beach es, shopping malls in the open. I don't see why golf courses are not open.. not the bars or pro shop or showers but the pitch itself. The guys and gals could change their shoes in their cars. I am no fan of Golf, but in terms of an aimless occupation well away from others, it meets tge the criterion.
An ex colleague who now lives in the south of France tells me that before going out, he had to download a form, tick the boxes, from six available options which describe the reason for his outing, sign it and carry it with him for inspection. He says the police do stop people and ask to see the form.

I think those measures are necessary, particularly here in the U.K. where most people are idiots. Yesterday was like a Bank Holiday. They can’t be trusted to act responsibly and need locking down by force and fear.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and tommie

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And there is more

Graham Davis @AgendaForReform
· 14h
#Dyson didn't work through the night to design a new ventilator as announced by @BBCHughPym it was designed by The Technology Partnership #TTP in South Cambridge and given to Dyson to manufacture.

Thoughts on this Dyson person
Recently I bought a new rechargeable vacuum cleaner, and the choice was between a Dyson and a Vaxx
The ridiculously over complex cluster of mini cyclones in the Dyson were obviously going to suffer major clogging problems so I went for the much more logically but less glamorous Vax
I was right the Vax will still work even with a full dust chamber, a friends Dyson clogs far too easily.
It is a device where style has overtaken function, and overpriced too.
Not impressed with this guy or his so called designs, or are they his?

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Robert Peston has this
Dyson may have jumped gun on its announcement of supplying thousands of ventilators to NHS. PM's official spokesman says Dyson's new machine has not had approval from Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, and no government money will go to Dyson unless...
and until it gets approval. I read into that Dyson was possibly trying to put pressure on government to give approval by disclosing its ventilator plans yesterday. But a minister to whom I've just spoken tells me it's by no means certain Dyson will get approval
Devonboy
@Toryboy1960

·
27m

Replying to
@Peston
The Govt has also jumped the gun, ref Newsnight last night. Zahawi effectively claimed it was all sorted.

Monsignor it's all Corbyn's fault.
@ItCorbyn

Replying to
@Peston
Gtech have designed a ventilator and can make one thousand units per day, in the UK, why is this being ignored by the media ?https://gtech.co.uk/ventilators

Travis Roberts@TravisRoberts72

·
1h

Because they didn’t donate to the Tories.

2 more replies

BremainInSpain #FBPE@BremainInSpain

·
Replying to
@Peston
What....Dyson caught out lying...

Quelle surprise.... It's not like Dyson lied about sunlit uplands when Leaving EU is it?
Why invent a new machine at a time like this and try to develop it and roll it out in a crisis. Surely copying a proven design is the way to go. Even if you stick the guts of the working mechanism in a biscuit tin for the time being, just get known working machines out the door.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
An ex colleague who now lives in the south of France tells me that before going out, he had to download a form, tick the boxes, from six available options which describe the reason for his outing, sign it and carry it with him for inspection. He says the police do stop people and ask to see the form.

I think those measures are necessary, particularly here in the U.K. where most people are idiots. Yesterday was like a Bank Holiday. They can’t be trusted to act responsibly and need locking down by force and fear.
Someone is trying to live up to their avatar :cool:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Why invent a new machine at a time like this and try to develop it and roll it out in a crisis. Surely copying a proven design is the way to go. Even if you stick the guts of the working mechanism in a biscuit tin for the time being, just get known working machines out the door.
Hes been given a design to manufacture.....the man lied about doing it himself.

• Informative
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract

My brother is in France at the moment and this is a fact. He went back just over 2 weeks ago and had to self isolate for 14 days.

france.jpg

Advertisers