Keep quiet, don't tell my wife!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Several years ago Bosch made their millionth crank drive motor - they celebrated by producing a gold one.

That is a massive number for a bicycle component.

Since then, ebikes have taken off.

Bosch powered bikes have become ubiquitous around the world, so goodness how many millions of Bosch motors there are now.

The failures need to be viewed in the context of the huge numbers of motors in service.

Bosch undertake to keep spares available for at least seven years after they stop supplying them for original equipment.

Pan European warranty is two years, after that you are on your own.

Sounds reasonable.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I love my current bike with a Bosch ALP, so far over 3000 miles with no motor problems. So based on my own experience, I was happy to take the plunge again.

Time will tell if I have chosen poorly.
even though Ibought a Yamaha motor ebike now done a 1000m without a hiccup my friend bought a Bosch motored bike some 7500 miles ago.
apart from him replacing most of the group set his motor has given very good service. It’s a damn sight quieter than the Yamaha for sure.
That said I wouldn’t discount a rear hub motor now as the tracks and trails I do are not taxing in the bike at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolepete

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The failures need to be viewed in the context of the huge numbers of motors in service.

Bosch undertake to keep spares available for at least seven years after they stop supplying them for original equipment.

Pan European warranty is two years, after that you are on your own.

Sounds reasonable.
to me, yes, it all sounds very reasonable but to some, not so.
Why could they not expect the electrics easy to get it serviced outside the guarantee period?
Bosch dealers can't help you much inside nor outside the guarantee. That's an anomaly, not the rule for other bikes, cars or motorbikes.
Even in the ad for a spare motor that SW gave as an example, it's a one off. If you scour ebay.de for Bosch motors, you come across very few private sales without guarantee and without right to cancel and return. Even then, you still need a friendly dealer to hook it up and reprogram it for your bike because it won't work if you just plug the new motor in.
This is a restrictive practice. Like I would put all my cables in moulded connectors and not give schematic diagram to any of my customers.
It reminds me of the early days when I installed software on PCs. The norm now is open system.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robert44

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
if you want to be specific on google.de
search for 'bosch motoren e bike probleme' returns About 2,220,000 results
search for 'nabenmotor e-bike probleme' returns About 95,000 results
(search for 'nabenmotoren e-bike probleme' returns same results)

There are very few specific issues with the hub motors in view of their simplicity.

Before you should me down, I have absolutely no inclination to rubbish anyone.
what about Yamaha problems whoosh?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
what about Yamaha problems whoosh?
I don't know.
I can only buy Shimano and Bafang crank drives with torque sensor in the open market.
My guess is they all have some problems one kind or the other. Bosch is singled out here because of Andy-Mat.
I usually pick on RobF's posts because he ritually rubbishes anything that is Chinese.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Bosch is singled out here because of Andy-Mat.
I usually pick on RobF's posts because he ritually rubbishes anything that is Chinese.
They are like religious zealots probably a good thing they stick to converting bikes and not people.

Reactions: Bobajob

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I read this forum religously. Many people buy Bosch powered bikes on here and are very happy with them. Me being one. I would have considered a Woosh bike, but I have to buy to the wants of the customer, in this case my wife. She wants style as well as an easy ride and with all due respect to the Woosh product, it would not quite press the right buttons for her.

I am not interested in carrying out a conversion.

So what you have works for you, great. To think I have not carried out research on what to buy is very, very wrong. Believe it or not, I am relatively bright.

As I said earlier, if you want to educate the masses on why Bosch are only one step up from the architects of the Final Solution, please do start your own thread. This was meant purely to be a light hearted and happy thread on one more person being converted to E bikes. With my wife enjoying it, (she is a very busy mobile hairdresser) I am sure will bring more people to this wonderful form of transport/pleasure.

So whether people buy Bosch/Shimano/Brose/Bafang hub or crank, let's please celebrate what brilliant vehicles these are and stop derailing threads that are meant to be light hearted.
I disagree on basically all points. So my answer is no to most of your questions.
Calling it "derailing a thread", because you did not know about certain information, is disingenuous at best!
But do have a great weekend, and remember, you being on an open forum, with many members, you cannot just set any new rules, at your own whim!
Please remember, I did not suggest to you WHAT to do, I simply supplied information that you could use to be better informed.
Your choice either way as to how you use it or not, and if in the next 3 years, if you (or your wife) will regret any decisions made or not!
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I read this forum religously. Many people buy Bosch powered bikes on here and are very happy with them. Me being one. I would have considered a Woosh bike, but I have to buy to the wants of the customer, in this case my wife. She wants style as well as an easy ride and with all due respect to the Woosh product, it would not quite press the right buttons for her.

I am not interested in carrying out a conversion.

So what you have works for you, great. To think I have not carried out research on what to buy is very, very wrong. Believe it or not, I am relatively bright.

As I said earlier, if you want to educate the masses on why Bosch are only one step up from the architects of the Final Solution, please do start your own thread. This was meant purely to be a light hearted and happy thread on one more person being converted to E bikes. With my wife enjoying it, (she is a very busy mobile hairdresser) I am sure will bring more people to this wonderful form of transport/pleasure.

So whether people buy Bosch/Shimano/Brose/Bafang hub or crank, let's please celebrate what brilliant vehicles these are and stop derailing threads that are meant to be light hearted.
You are mixing me up with someone else possibly.
I did not suggest a conversion, I simply showed that it was a lot cheaper IF NEEDED, to get a broken hub motor bike working again, and not beyond the knowledge that many average bikers possess.
The electronics knowledge needed to get the parts of a Bosch bike to even start to communicate with each other, is well beyond the knowledge of an average biker.
If you read something different in my words, that could be your mistake or mine, so please be so good as to point out what I wrote exactly, and maybe I need to improve my writing skills some more. Let us see!
But please do what you want to do. I cannot stop you, and I have no intention of trying....or even thinking of doing that!
Andy

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Andy-Mat, in this post and many others you seem to have an obsession with rubbishing Bosch motors. I believe that you have no experience with Bosch motors and are just repeating what you have read, possibly from the Daily Mail or Sun. It’s well known that for every good report of anything there will be eight bad reports as far fewer people give outspoken praise. Perhaps you are frequenting negative sites.
As well as Bosch, you are now rubbishing laptops and president Trump. I’ve never had a problem with Bosch, can get almost anything to repair a laptop and never met Trump.
If I took any notice of your views, I would never have purchased a hybrid car, mobile phone, smart tv or microwave oven. Not sure about the parts availability for my steam iron.
My partner has a Bosch CX driven Cube which cost £1450 so not the “many times more” figure above the cost of your bike. Oh, the cube came with the correct headset bearings.
Most people on here are quite capable of deciding for themselves what to buy, without some of your offensive rantings and by rantings I refer you to previous posts where you you were saying that people buying Bosch need their head examining. On reflection, I find this quite offensive.

Reactions: Bobajob and Amoto65

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Andy-Mat, in this post and many others you seem to have an obsession with rubbishing Bosch motors. I believe that you have no experience with Bosch motors and are just repeating what you have read, possibly from the Daily Mail or Sun. It’s well known that for every good report of anything there will be eight bad reports as far fewer people give outspoken praise. Perhaps you are frequenting negative sites.
As well as Bosch, you are now rubbishing laptops and president Trump. I’ve never had a problem with Bosch, can get almost anything to repair a laptop and never met Trump.
If I took any notice of your views, I would never have purchased a hybrid car, mobile phone, smart tv or microwave oven. Not sure about the parts availability for my steam iron.
My partner has a Bosch CX driven Cube which cost £1450 so not the “many times more” figure above the cost of your bike. Oh, the cube came with the correct headset bearings.
Most people on here are quite capable of deciding for themselves what to buy, without some of your offensive rantings and by rantings I refer you to previous posts where you you were saying that people buying Bosch need their head examining. On reflection, I find this quite offensive.
And so say all of us......

Reactions: Bobajob

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I am a strong believer in telling the truth and shaming the devil. I get embarrassed by a German company that treats its customers so badly.
If this Bosch problem information is of no interest to you, simply prise your eyes away from it and avoid reading it! Problem fixed!
Reading the German press, as I do daily, especially with regard to my hobby, I probably see the problems described before anyone in the UK does.
You should learn to read with more comprehension, one of my quotes that you apparently missed, is that its a personal choice in anything. There are percentage wise far fewer private people who can fix and problems in a laptop, than can fix a PC.....That is a fact of life, but Business people who travel a lot need a Laptop, as do men who do not travel, but have a wife who wants something small! I likened the two to Bosch bikes and other bikes, expecting that point to be understood by anyone of a reasonable intelligence. Apparently not!
You are starting to lose your grip on reality, or are you simply one of those people who like to pick and online argument? They are, IMHO generally people who in their real lives, " would not say boo to a goose!"
I was actually considering the bikes from Bosch that friends and acquaintances have here, as I know the products and the problems here better than in the UK. Furthermore, there is a lot about Bosch problems here on Pdelec from many others, dissatisfied with their bikes.... You only have to read!
As I said before, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ MY POSTS, YOU APPEAR INCAPABLE OF "NOT" READING THEM. THAT SAYS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT YOU NOW DOES IT?
What do you do if a program comes on the TV that you don't like? Call the BBC/ITV and complain, or do you simply switch off or change the channel?
If only one person is helped on Pedelec by my posts, I consider the effort to warn them, in spite of your own unfriendly mental rants, well worth the effort.
In the future, please be so kind as to completely ignore all my posts.
Try it out, you will be amazed at the change in your demeanour! Those around you will also probably be far happier too. A double whammy!!
Andy

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I am a strong believer in telling the truth and shaming the devil. I get embarrassed by a German company that treats its customers so badly.
If this Bosch problem information is of no interest to you, simply prise your eyes away from it and avoid reading it! Problem fixed!
Reading the German press, as I do daily, especially with regard to my hobby, I probably see the problems described before anyone in the UK does.

You should learn to read with more comprehension, one of my quotes that you apparently missed, is that its a personal choice in anything. There are percentage wise far fewer private people who can fix and problems in a laptop, than can fix a PC.....That is a fact of life, but Business people who travel a lot need a Laptop, as do men who do not travel, but have a wife who wants something small! I likened the two to Bosch bikes and other bikes, expecting that point to be understood by anyone of a reasonable intelligence. Apparently not!

You are starting to lose your grip on reality, or are you simply one of those people who like to pick and online argument? They are, IMHO generally people who in their real lives, " would not say boo to a goose!"

I was actually considering the bikes from Bosch that friends and acquaintances have here, as I know the products and the problems here better than in the UK. Furthermore, there is a lot about Bosch problems here on Pdelec from many others, dissatisfied with their bikes.... You only have to read!

As I said before, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ MY POSTS, YOU APPEAR INCAPABLE OF "NOT" READING THEM. THAT SAYS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT YOU NOW DOES IT?
What do you do if a program comes on the TV that you don't like? Call the BBC/ITV and complain, or do you simply switch off or change the channel?
If only one person is helped on Pedelec by my posts, I consider the effort to warn them, in spite of your own unfriendly mental rants, well worth the effort.
In the future, please be so kind as to completely ignore all my posts.
Try it out, you will be amazed at the change in your demeanour! Those around you will also probably be far happier too. A double whammy!!
Andy
Deluded. I give up.

Reactions: Amoto65

vladcjelli

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 19, 2020
Back to the original poster, let us know how you get on with your surprise purchase, I hope she’s chuffed to bits with it.

It’s one of the models my wife has taken a liking to, so we are giving it some serious thought. You’re experience may be the deciding factor.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Deluded. I give up.
I’ve found if you cross swords with him he gets abusive.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh and Amoto65

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I don't know.
I can only buy Shimano and Bafang crank drives with torque sensor in the open market.
My guess is they all have some problems one kind or the other. Bosch is singled out here because of Andy-Mat.
mid you were sorting a bike for yourelf which motor would you prefer?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I’ve found if you cross swords with him he gets abusive.
You also missed the point, I have no need to use such words as you and a few others here do quite freely describing others.
And if anyone posts back to you, after you start name calling, but with a different opinion, you/they have the gall to be rude again.
Apparently, Mummy and Daddy did a very poor job with regard to your manners....IMHO!
I, in both my REAL LIFE, and online, have never ever let anyone be rude to me without a minimum of a comment back, but today and online, I simply rely on very simple sarcasm, as I have no need of children's playground level name calling!
Today, we have access online, to massive amounts of very learned data, on any subject that one wishes to read up on, and it is not difficult to assimilate and understand, for those really interested.
There is particularly full information about unfriendly, online people, often hidden behind obtuse avatars. Which supplements thier character, often being far beyond the daily real world character, but basically similar in many ways.
You may not have noticed, not a problem of course, but my avatar is most of my real name, both Christian and Surname, as I have nothing to hide. Only a few letters are missing from my surname end.
I sincerely doubt that there is much of your own real name in "Bobajob", but I might be wrong, and you were so baptised when the Boy Scouts were doing their fund raising!
Just guessing and "funning" with you a little! Remember, for some, life can be a bit dreary, so do try and be amused and not be "deluded" anymore ...OK?
Have a great weekend, I am!
Andy

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Back to the original poster, let us know how you get on with your surprise purchase, I hope she’s chuffed to bits with it.

It’s one of the models my wife has taken a liking to, so we are giving it some serious thought. You’re experience may be the deciding factor.
Thank you for that and yes, will do! I have ordered it from Wiggle and it is due to arrive in mid April. Shame on me for ordering on line, but our local Cube dealer does not give a stuff about customer service, so I had no hesitation from ordering online in this case.

I will let you know how it goes!

Reactions: Muddyfox

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
You also missed the point, I have no need to use such words as you and a few others here do quite freely describing others.
And if anyone posts back to you, after you start name calling, but with a different opinion, you/they have the gall to be rude again.
Apparently, Mummy and Daddy did a very poor job with regard to your manners....IMHO!
I, in both my REAL LIFE, and online, have never ever let anyone be rude to me without a minimum of a comment back, but today and online, I simply rely on very simple sarcasm, as I have no need of children's playground level name calling!
Today, we have access online, to massive amounts of very learned data, on any subject that one wishes to read up on, and it is not difficult to assimilate and understand, for those really interested.
There is particularly full information about unfriendly, online people, often hidden behind obtuse avatars. Which supplements thier character, often being far beyond the daily real world character, but basically similar in many ways.
You may not have noticed, not a problem of course, but my avatar is most of my real name, both Christian and Surname, as I have nothing to hide. Only a few letters are missing from my surname end.
I sincerely doubt that there is much of your own real name in "Bobajob", but I might be wrong, and you were so baptised when the Boy Scouts were doing their fund raising!
Just guessing and "funning" with you a little! Remember, for some, life can be a bit dreary, so do try and be amused and not be "deluded" anymore ...OK?
Have a great weekend, I am!
Andy
See what I mean people he is off again lol.
It’s a shame really as I bet he can contribute quite a lot if he would not be so confrontational.

Andy Matt just chill out man sniff the flowers a little. We’re all under pressure with this virus, just please be a little more respectful.
I wish you a nice weekend too.