Bosch Motor shutdown, Error 503, get you home only.

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
Due to my incompetence I fitted the sensor on backwards and the motor gave error 503 then the speedometer disappeared then get you home mode kicked in.
Now the local shop has to send the complete bike back to the factory as Bosch will not empower him to reset the motor.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Seems mad. The system (either the electronic system or the Bosch people system) probably suspects you tried to dongle it. I'm sure AndyMat will have some other information (or at least comments) on the matter.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongles do not cause errors yet! tho the speed sensor on the wrong way would throw non stop 503 speed sensor errors.

bosch just need the motor not the hole bike as the controller is inside the motor and you will just get a new replacement imo.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Due to my incompetence I fitted the sensor on backwards and the motor gave error 503 then the speedometer disappeared then get you home mode kicked in.
Now the local shop has to send the complete bike back to the factory as Bosch will not empower him to reset the motor.
Some here actually like Bosch, their personal choice of course, but what will this action cost you, any ideas?
On almost any other make of e-bike, you would turn ithe sensor around around, reset the controller in some manner, and drive off with it repaired!!!
Andy

Reactions: mike killay

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
Some here actually like Bosch, their personal choice of course, but what will this action cost you, any ideas?
On almost any other make of e-bike, you would turn ithe sensor around around, reset the controller in some manner, and drive off with it repaired!!!
Andy
Iam very dissapointed with Bosch, why won't they let their authorised agent deal with it.
There is a "Right to Repair" issue here. Its going to cost me a fortune all this shipping to and fro. I am not saying I am squeeky clean, I caused the fault.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
Iam very dissapointed with Bosch, why won't they let their authorised agent deal with it.
There is a "Right to Repair" issue here. Its going to cost me a fortune all this shipping to and fro. I am not saying I am squeeky clean, I caused the fault.
I had a 500 series error when the magnet came loose. I think it was 503 but I might be wrong on the exact number. I simply moved the magnet, turned the bike off and back on again and it cleared. The fact that Bosch want the motor back would indicate its more than a simple reset. This could be good news as Bosch themselves don't fix anything, they just get their service agents to fit a new motor with a new warranty. Depending how old the bike is that warranty can be useful.

Darren

PS - I just noticed you are paying for shipping. Is the bike out of warranty?

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
I had the same problem, but did not have any problems after I centred the magnet. Just seems strange.
Also, what is the "Get you home" mode?

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
I'm a bit confused by this whole thing,
Why were YOU fitting the sensor? If it's a new bike, the shop would have put the bike together, you wouldn't have needed to fit anything.
Also, if it's new, (or less than 2 yrs old), it's under warranty, so any repairs or shipping won't cost you anything.
Or, if it's more than 2 yrs old, (out of warranty), why would your shop send it back to the factory?
This sounds like some sort of bungled attempt to gain more speed, in which case, it's entirely your fault, not Bosch's.

Reactions: Gringo and Amoto65

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I'm a bit confused by this whole thing,
Why were YOU fitting the sensor? If it's a new bike, the shop would have put the bike together, you wouldn't have needed to fit anything.
Also, if it's new, (or less than 2 yrs old), it's under warranty, so any repairs or shipping won't cost you anything.
Or, if it's more than 2 yrs old, (out of warranty), why would your shop send it back to the factory?
This sounds like some sort of bungled attempt to gain more speed, in which case, it's entirely your fault, not Bosch's.
I understand where you are coming from, but if all the same happened on a hub bike from any other manufacturer, he would have turned the sensor around, reset the bike, and ridden off into the sunset.
Thats the difference!
He agrees he was partly to blame, but the costs to get his bike running again are going to be huge in relation to the problems.
Andy

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
I don't dispute it was my fault, my beef is that the local Agent (Bike Shop) is not empowered to reset the motor to factory setting. Why would Bosch want it sent back to the manufacturer? Retribution?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I don't dispute it was my fault, my beef is that the local Agent (Bike Shop) is not empowered to reset the motor to factory setting. Why would Bosch want it sent back to the manufacturer? Retribution?
It is the Bosch business model for their E-Drive bike motor system, not they or your LBS singling you out.

IMO, a serious negative consideration, not readily made known when purchasing bikes with their system. A failing in my case only learnt here.

Just wonder how in the US with their stricter anti restrictive practices laws, that things are dealt with there? Many years back, I had to get VW workshop manuals from there as they were not permitting the sale in the UK, I wonder if that provides a route for info here?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Is this one of the new 2020 type motors? and what exactly was it you tried to do??
(and what happens in 'get home mode' ???)

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
What was the reason you had to re fit the sensor. Did it come loose

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
It is the Bosch business model for their E-Drive bike motor system, not they or your LBS singling you out.

IMO, a serious negative consideration, not readily made known when purchasing bikes with their system. A failing in my case only learnt here.

Just wonder how in the US with their stricter anti restrictive practices laws, that things are dealt with there? Many years back, I had to get VW workshop manuals from there as they were not permitting the sale in the UK, I wonder if that provides a route for info here?
My own feeling is that once we are free of the EU we should have a restrictive practices law in the UK.
These sort of shenanigans do not help the fight against global warming and simply waste valuable resources.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
My own feeling is that once we are free of the EU we should have a restrictive practices law in the UK.
These sort of shenanigans do not help the fight against global warming and simply waste valuable resources.
Possibly, but my brush with VW's restrictive practice was in 1971, two years before we joined the EEC, time will tell how enlightened we become, if indeed it is the EU at all that is the issue with Bosch's stance here.

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
I had moved the sensor to get it to pick up a magnet on the pedal which worked very well.
I had to put it back to standard when the motor strted creaking in the frame apparantley not torqued correctly at the factory. It was when i went to refit my previously sucess mod that I cocked it up.
So as I said it was my fault. I knew nothing of draconian control measures and error modes, I do now!
I thought I could do what I like with it after I bought it! Doh!

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018

This is why you should do your research and find a decent dealer.
If I have any problem with my bike while under warranty, my dealer will lend me another e-bike untill mine is sorted.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fitting the sensor/magnet then to the pedal/crank was I believe an attempt to trick the motor speed so as to go faster. SW has said afaik that it doesn't work and then pulls up an error code.
A dongle like the Badass about £130 would have been easier and cheaper in the long run.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
even putting the magnet in the wrong place will throw non stop 503 errors so imo that could also brick the system.

dongles still work atm but a new firmware update could stop them from working in the future.