Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It’s looking like Boris Johnson is in serious trouble. I’m not his number one fan as a politician, but I hope he fights back from this.

Every day, the unimaginable happens and then the following day, that is made to look normal by new events. It’s like being in a sci-fi movie.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It’s looking like Boris Johnson is in serious trouble. I’m not his number one fan as a politician, but I hope he fights back from this.

Every day, the unimaginable happens and then the following day, that is made to look normal by new events. It’s like being in a sci-fi movie.
raab nominally holding the wheel just before peak infection is not a good thing

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Don't worry, he'll be OK, the Devil looks after his own
I'm the proof of that. (unless I have managed to tread on his tail recently)
lets be honest all we can do is hope all victims make it though.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
No surprise here, episode 852344:

Coronavirus: Thousands missed off government's 'high risk' list

From what I know, there are many rare diseases that no-one will have thought to add to the list. Indeed, likely no-one knows if some of them imply a heightened risk or not for some of them.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Masks. Husvarna-Viking are donating hundreds of sewing machines directly to hospitals across the USA.

This is because the Center for Disease Control has accepted, as a last resort, even home-made masks might provide some protection or enhance the life of existing approved masks.

(Partner's home-made masks - I posted photo of first test one, now made in decent fabric - is the very design H-V/CDC chose to recommend.)

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The BBC reports:

The cost of petrol in the UK is approaching £1 a litre for the first time since 2016.

Some filling stations around the country have even been reported offering petrol at less than £1.

But motorists may be hard-pressed to find low deals as prices vary widely.

Even I have seen it at 104.9. But I am hard-pressed because it is about nine miles to the low prices! I can't see "getting cheaper petrol" as a justification. Odd the story doesn't even mention that issue despite disucssing why the prices are so low.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Most (not all) people who still have to drive significant distances will find a cheap station close to where they have to drive. For the rest, distances travelled should be so minuscule that differences in cost of petrol are irrelevant.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Never at a loss for words, after a brief struggle I came up with one..

BANZAI
Raab is oddly missing in action. I'm not a spad, but would have thought a clear emphatic statement about what's happening (really) to boris and what will happen next would be reassuring.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
The BBC reports:

The cost of petrol in the UK is approaching £1 a litre for the first time since 2016.

Some filling stations around the country have even been reported offering petrol at less than £1.

But motorists may be hard-pressed to find low deals as prices vary widely.

Even I have seen it at 104.9. But I am hard-pressed because it is about nine miles to the low prices! I can't see "getting cheaper petrol" as a justification. Odd the story doesn't even mention that issue despite disucssing why the prices are so low.
I‘m hardly using any fuel at the moment. I filled both cars up about two weeks ago and probably haven’t travelled more than 5 miles in total.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Most (not all) people who still have to drive significant distances will find a cheap station close to where they have to drive. For the rest, distances travelled should be so minuscule that differences in cost of petrol are irrelevant.
That is, surely, the reality for many. But, having spent four years repeatedly checking in my mind if I am going where the petrol is cheaper (usually about 5p a litre difference), I still think about it.

And I am getting to the point of wanting to top up.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Raab is oddly missing in action. I'm not a spad, but would have thought a clear emphatic statement about what's happening (really) to boris and what will happen next would be reassuring.
Nick Ferrari described Raab as looking like a stunned mullet this morning. He does look and sound bewildered, clueless and as if he’d rather be somewhere else. All of them keep falling back to repetitively praising the NHS & stating that they want to get on with the war on Coronavirus.

We know all that, and I don’t think a single person disagrees, but we need to know how they plan to do it. The war on Coronavirus isn’t going too well when you consider that the Field Marshall, the General and the Brigadier have all shot themselves via a negligent discharge on the way to the front. You honestly could not make this up.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There has been news in that odd non-news way that happens when people are waiting for a big story to break. Not much more than murmurs. But you can be sure many obit writers have checked their copy is up to date - ready to file, if needed. (I am trying very hard not to prejudge the outcome.)

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
That is, surely, the reality for many. But, having spent four years repeatedly checking in my mind if I am going where the petrol is cheaper (usually about 5p a litre difference), I still think about it.

And I am getting to the point of wanting to top up.
My local tesco sell unleaded for 105, other stations for around 10p more, before my ev, in that distant world where cafes were part of life, the difference per tank would have bought a cappuccino and croissant in starbucks

Advertisers