Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Wales NHS has done something that, with five seconds of looking, appears possibly good.

View attachment 34613
Obviously got to take suitable doses of salt with the data, but they have put some effort in here. It had been frustrating how limited Wales information. Now there is a lot more and the ability to select on various criteria is very helpful.

I think most of us wish to know what is happening near us - even if it has no obvious impact on our behaviour.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/public.health.wales.health.protection#!/vizhome/RapidCOVID-19virology-Public/Summary

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I just plug my e-car into the "filling station" in my garage. Cost? 200 mpg equivalent. :)

Yes, I can just hear you saying "Smug git". :D
Take note my young apprentice
said the master,

sometimes even venerable old age
doesn't prevent
the temptation for
"I'm all right Grasshopper" syndrome setting in

This is to be deplored, except in deserving cases.

Just so my master
It is always good to be instructed
by a deserving case
replied Grasshopper.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I’m hearing that Gove is now self isolating.
Says he will be continuing to work.

So just why was he not already working from home?

Either he will do some work but cannot do everything (in which case we should be told he is limited in what he is doing) or he should never have been going from home to work.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Either he will do some work but cannot do everything (in which case we should be told he is limited in what he is doing) or he should never have been going from home to work.
If this keeps up the entire government will be AWOL
They will have Brexited!
And just this once it has my approval! :cool:

Reactions: flecc and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

I'll hazard a guess
"His wife won't let him miss his big chance" works for me!

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I'm betting that within the next few weeks the only one of them left standing will be Grayling, who may never have aspired to soar like an eagle but needs must when the Devil drives

Tell me master is it better to be an Eagle or a weasel?

Well grasshopper
"In many ways it is preferable to be a weasel"

Grasshopper reacts with astonishment
"How can this be my master?"

The Master sighs

"The lowly weasel may never soar like an Eagle
On the other hand it is never tempted by curiosity to get too close
to a turbofan engine
and get sucked inside"

There's a moral for Boris in there somewhere.

Reactions: oyster

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
This whole he's in 'intensive care' seems odd

"Mr Gove told BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Tuesday: "The prime minister's not on a ventilator. He has received oxygen support." He was moved as a precaution so he could be close to a ventilator"

So from this BJ's sounds as if he's getting a top up of O2 from nasal cannula or mask and can be given in most ward hospital beds from the plumbed in supply* - though probably I would expect he's in a side room due to his status next to nurses station.

*H&S warned us never to fiddle with oxgen system after buttering toast as there had been a problem of spontaneous fires occuring with greasy fingers fueled by neat O2.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This whole he's in 'intensive care' seems odd

"Mr Gove told BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Tuesday: "The prime minister's not on a ventilator. He has received oxygen support." He was moved as a precaution so he could be close to a ventilator"

So from this BJ's sounds as if he's getting a top up of O2 from nasal cannula or mask and can be given in most ward hospital beds from the plumbed in supply* - though probably I would expect he's in a side room due to his status next to nurses station.

*H&S warned us never to fiddle with oxgen system after buttering toast as there had been a problem of spontaneous fires occuring with greasy fingers fueled by neat O2.

We have seen quite a bit of discussion about people who, for various reasons, have delayed, deferred, or simply not reached, required support in time. This "he's not on ventilation" could end up being such an issue. Everyone having shouted that from the rooftops, it might be somewhat awkward to say he now needs that. Would doctors delay (despite the best of intentions) because of the need for the government to continue insisting he isn't on ventilation?

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Interesting new measurement of isolation.

I think I am managing 4 metre weeks of isolation. (2 metres for two weeks.)

Whereas you are implying a minimum acceptable Gove isolation would be 100 metre years!
I didn't factor distance into my comment as that is a function of social distancing, not isolation. ;)

Reactions: flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
We have seen quite a bit of discussion about people who, for various reasons, have delayed, deferred, or simply not reached, required support in time. This "he's not on ventilation" could end up being such an issue. Everyone having shouted that from the rooftops, it might be somewhat awkward to say he now needs that. Would doctors delay (despite the best of intentions) because of the need for the government to continue insisting he isn't on ventilation?
There's a range of interventions - beginning with supplemental O2 therapy via nasal / mask, then CPAP pressurised mask (patient doesn't need sedating) - and finally full blown invasive ventilation intensive care and operating theatre. What they're on depends on what's going on in their lungs.

People can adapt to lower O2 rates, like mountain climbers without ill effect (only noticable on physical exertion) Most folk normally have 98-99% O2 stats but I've worked with folk in the 80% range who were compos mentis if they were simply sitting and resting without any supplemental 02. But like Everest climbers doing a simple task i.e walking or even just eating (hard to breathe and eat simultaneously) would get dizzy and befuddled.

Last edited:
Reactions: POLLY

Advertisers