TSDZ2 - Is the speed sensor needed?

76zedfour

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 16, 2019
Just installed my TSDZ2 and took it for a whiz yesterday not quite finished as it was getting dark without the speed sensor attached.
Worked perfectly. Is there any reason to connect the speed sensor other than to know the speed you are travelling at? Just seems like more wiring and another thing to go wrong to me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you should install the speed sensor, if only to make sure it's all working correctly.
Keep the magnet about 10mm from the sensor head.
Then think about changing the speed limit in the LCD instead of disconnecting the speed sensor.
You would then know for sure when you go over the legal speed limit.

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
Legal speed limit is pretty high in most places (30mph plus for most roads ;)) but you won't know if your bike is assisting past the legal cutoff limit (25kph in uk) without the speed sensor.

I think the speed sensor is needed to get the torque sensor feel (push harder get more power). As you have pointed out, if it goes wrong you can always disconnect it. I'm assuming you aren't going to open the case up and pull the wiring inside to keep it out of the way?

Worth connecting to keep the terminal clean if nothing else. If you ever decide to change the firmware, you program the controller via the speed sensor cable.

76zedfour

Oct 16, 2019
Thanks for replies. I did set it up today and obviously the screen now gives speed, distance etc. and motor assist cut outs at 25kph. I also shortened the motor to cable battery considerably and used waco connectors hidden inside the battery mount. I managed to get all of the cabling looking pretty neat in my opinion.

Pedaluma

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2020
I have been riding my coaster brake three speed without a speed sensor for about one year. It has been great! Today I put on a speed sensor just to try it. The bike's fun was ruined. I had it off again within ten minutes.

Now the fun has been restored. With loads of torque off the line. Next I will try taking them off my other bikes.

The Specialized in the photo has a "water bottle" battery - look for the wire.

Attachments

allanx38

Oct 17, 2021
Hi - can I just ask when using without the speed senor you simply disconnect the cable from the motor connecting to the sensor usually cable tied to the frame with the magnet opposite it? I tried this and the motor sort of comes and goes.

The throttle failed recently, it was engaged all the time (bit of a surprise when I turned it on ...). I disconnected the throttle and have had a bit of jip ever since. When connected to the speed senor, the speed is displayed ok as the speed increases but doesn't reduce as the speed slows, so the motor works great for a short while, as it speeds up then stops working until the speedo eventually displays a low value. It was working great before the throttle failed.