cycling with a heavy-ish camera

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Does anyone cycle with a 2lb camera strapped to their front or back, and if so can you recommend a harness. If not then what's people's experience of carrying something like a DSLR in a Topeak rear rack bag - any damage sustained?
Thanks
Mike

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Does anyone cycle with a 2lb camera strapped to their front or back, and if so can you recommend a harness. If not then what's people's experience of carrying something like a DSLR in a Topeak rear rack bag - any damage sustained?
Thanks
Mike
What camera/lens combo are we talking about here?

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
What camera/lens combo are we talking about here?
It's not that big or heavy - Sony RX10 mark 3. Weighs about a kilo. I've been used to carrying the RX100 in a pocket and having it ready to use in no time. I don't think a rucksack or bag would work for me. Ideally it would be a harness that held the uncased camera secure against my back, and when I stopped to use it, one buckle loosened would allow the camera to swing round to the front ready to go.
If such a thing doesn;t exist for cyclists, maybe I will design one (but I am hopeless at DIY :(
Mike

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Ah, a Camera question right up my street. I usually cycle with a DSLR camera with the strap over my head and one arm through, then I swing the camera round behind me so it rests in the small of my back so to speak.
It will usually stay in that position and not swing around to the front but If I spot something worthy of a snap I can stop, pull it round take a photo or two then swing it back and away.
Myself I wouldn't carry a camera on my bike itself, there's always a chance you might hit a hard bump in the road and the shock could cause damage to the lens alignment. If you carry it on your person the vibration is greatly reduced plus of course it's always ready for action. Recently I've gone down the micro 4/3 route so that's a big weight saving and picture quality is better than I expected.

Reactions: MikeS

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Ah, a Camera question right up my street. I usually cycle with a DSLR camera with the strap over my head and one arm through, then I swing the camera round behind me so it rests in the small of my back so to speak.
It will usually stay in that position and not swing around to the front but If I spot something worthy of a snap I can stop, pull it round take a photo or two then swing it back and away.
Myself I wouldn't carry a camera on my bike itself, there's always a chance you might hit a hard bump in the road and the shock could cause damage to the lens alignment. If you carry it on your person the vibration is greatly reduced plus of course it's always ready for action. Recently I've gone down the micro 4/3 route so that's a big weight saving and picture quality is better than I expected.
wow - that's encouraging. I would have thought the camera would keep swinging round to the side or the front as you moved about on the bike. Keen to try it now when my bigger camera comes (still not as big as your 4/3 stuff anyway)
Mike

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
wow - that's encouraging. I would have thought the camera would keep swinging round to the side or the front as you moved about on the bike.
Unfortunately, it might, depending on what bike you ride.
If its got an upright, more of a 'shopper' type geometry, you might be ok. The more bent over and aggressive you are, the more likely the camera WILL swing round from your back.

I sometimes carry a camera in a rear rack, but if I do, I don't take one which I know has a sensitive image stabilization system (as they are prone to damage from bumps), or one with a long lens (as you can deform the camera mount). Plus I always make sure its in some kind of VERY padded bag ... maybe even with a an extra piece of clothing placed underneath to further absorb the knocks and jars you will inevitably get.

If I'm on a MTB, then its a PITA, but I stick it in the padded bag and in a rucksack as the body tends to absorb the worst of the bumps. You tend to take less photos that way though :-(

Another option I used a lot when hiking somewhere, is to use Peak Design Capture clips mounted on the front straps of a camera backpack. They are excellent. This might work with a bike type setup, but I've been too lazy to transfer the mounts over as yet to try!

richardg6paj

Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Messingham
I have a Lowepro Toploader 50AW II for my Sony A7III and 24-105mm lens. And a Lowepro Toploader 55AW II for the longer lenses, for example it carries a Canon 7D mk2 + 100-400mm mk2 zoom. (heavy) both these bags are supported on the front of the body (very convenient for rapid use) by the Lowepro Topload Harness..... 35124