What chain for a Crossfuse ? (again)

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
last year I had big problems sourcing a 117 link chain for my Crossfuse, but eventually found a longer one which I cut down. It seems very strange that the Crossfuse should have 117 links (Plus the quicklink so 118 in total) when every chain for a 9 geared bike seems to be either 114 or 116 links.
Am I OK buying a 116 chain for this bike?
Thanks
Mike

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Put it on biggest sprocket front and back and see how much spare there is on the chain. Basically its best to avoid biggest to biggest anyway because of the chainline; if you are disciplined enough to be fairly sure you won't try that you will almost certainly get away with a shorter chain.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
well on the crossfuse there is only one front sprocket, and I guess for the sake of £10 I might as well risk buying a 116 link chain. What would be the symptom of it being too short - would it struggle or fail to go into bottom gear?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yes, that would be the main issue. You can still check for slack on your current chain from front to biggest at back. If there is a bit more than a couple of links slack you should be ok.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the chain is too short going to lowest gear ( large sprocket rear) might snap the chain or damage the derailleur by over stretching it.
The ideal chain length is to remove the chain from any derailleur and wrap it around the two largest sprockets front/rear, where the chain meets add two extra links for Shimano or 1 extra link for Sram.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
As you're about to fit a new chain why not remove a link out of the old one and see if it works okay.
Dave.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
OK - my 116 link chain has come - and I compared it with the one fitted on the Crossfuse and it's definitely one link shorter. So I have fitted it, and all the gears work but what do people think about this chain path when the bike is bottom gear?
Mike
IMG_4404.jpeg

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I have just replaced mine with a Shimano ebike chain, yours is 2 links too short it is meant to be 118.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the chain is to short you risk ripping the rear mech in half riding it like that.

Reactions: MikeS

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I have just replaced mine with a Shimano ebike chain, yours is 2 links too short it is meant to be 118.
I would dearly love to buy a 118 link one, but I just can't find one anywhere. Can you provide a link to where you got yours?
Thanks
Mike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Thanks guys - have ordered the a shimano 118 link chain and a shimano cassette from Bike Discount in Germany for £41. Chain Reaction wanted £46 for a 136 link KMC chain(and cassette). Amato - I think I got the 136 chain last time, and I must have shortened it myself (unless I asked the Halfords guys to do it :rolleyes: ). If I run it with the 118 links as it comes rather than trying to take out one link, is it likely to be too slack?
Mike

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
What I have done for the last 8000 miles (two changes of chain) is buy two identical chains that are too short (two few links). I split one of them into four and joined a quarter chain to the other full chain with a link. I then corrected the length at the other end so the joining links are not close together. I’ve had no issues at all doing this. I still have two quarters for the next two changes. The cheaper ‘standard’ chains seem to be much more readily available and I get four changes from buying five. I will always buy the same make and model of chain so there is no mismatch.

Reactions: MikeS

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Mystery solved. The 118 link chain is the right length for the Crossfuse, but it comes with a single pin to fasten the ends together. I used a cheapo Halfords tool to remove the last rivet holding the two outer plates, and was then able to use my quicklink (so 117 links plus the quicklink is the right length.
Mike

Advertisers