Bafang mid mount motor

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Out again for a 12 mile blast on the roads this afternoon. Whilst it was not raining.
Went out with 40% on the battery ,so I thought I better put in some of the effort at least today..!
Bit of a head wind against me much of the time but never a problem. Just getting used to how and when to change gear, ease off the peddling, change gear, then put the effort in again makes it much smoother of a change. Wore cycling glasses today as bugs in the eyes at speed are not recommended as I have found out. No hill fills me with fear now, its just crack on and get it done. Seeing bikes ahead of me is like red flags to a bull..!
A mile from home down a longish straight road I saw my next victim, Lycrad up ,they were head down cycling hard into the wind...I up my assistance and im in pursuit. Very quickly im flying past them at 25mph ish, as they probably think what the hell did he have for breakfast...as they battle along at about 15mph... Im sure they heard me chuckling to myself or saw my shoulders going up and down like "dastardly and muttly".
Oh its brought back the joys of cycling to me!

Back to being mature , I have found my battery does charge when switched off and its final charge is 54.6V as Nealh said it should be so all is good. Covered almost 70 miles and charged it fully twice now. I will be happy if my battery can do a 34 mile route I have in mind which will include a long climb and a few shorter hills. I will let you know if it does soon hopefully.
It's great to hear you're having so much fun on your new toy Rob. Your only problem now will be your Mrs.....time to start planning a second conversion project for her maybe?

P.S. Don't feel guilty overtaking the lycra-clad road warriors- that's one of my favourite sports!!

Reactions: RobN

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Well I took the bull by the horns today and did a route that ive not done on a bike since I was a kid.Thats a few decades ago..!
From Heywood, through Rochdale then Littleborough ,Up Blackstone Edge then through to Hebden Bridge and Todmorden ,Rochdale and back home. A nice little circuit.

32.49 miles...1:52:31 hrs...17.3 mph hr avg speed...2033 ft elevation.

Got home and battery had about 25% left in it.
There is a real long climb up to Blackstone Edge but the motor made it feel pretty comfortable to be honest.
Stopped once at top of Blackstone Edge to take picture (proof) that I had been up there..!
Bike was faultless , seemed to be headwind whichever way I was cycling but it dealt with it. I used level 4 out of 9 for the most part with a few 9,s here and there with the thumb throttle up some of the bigger hills.
Got home just before a downpour. Ar$e killing me ,legs like jelly, good sweat on and feeling triumphant.
Really did enjoy the ride out.
Might try it in the opposite direction next time.

Reactions: Kinninvie

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The battery almost certainly didn't have 25% left. What indicator did you use. batteries always accelerate downwards when they get to about 25% and your voltage will be much lower, so you need to turn up the power to get the same amount of assist, which also runs it down faster. Next time you do a long ride, don't charge the battery. Have a rest, then, when you feel up to it, ride around the block a few times with normal power to see how far that 25% goes, then you'll know what to expect.

Wattmeters are always handy because they give a much more reliable indication of how much battery you have left. If you run the battery down, you can see it's measured capacity. say it's 400wh. Next ride, when the wattmeter shows you've used 300wh, you know you have approx 100wh left.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Yep ok , I only went off the battery indicator to be honest and it looked a quarter full. dohhhhh! I did have it set to Volts but forgot to check what it was when I arrived home. Im sure I went down to 44 v on the ride and maybe lower , I have the memory of a fish...!
But im happy wit the fact it did the 32 miles with plenty of hills tackled and didn't leave me stranded without any power.
Does a watt meter plug in somewhere or does it require un-connecting battery? Ive heat shrinked all my connectors you see so maybe a pain to do that.
Thanks for the tips.
Regards
Rob.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are different types of wattmeters. They nearly all use a shunt to measure the current. some have remote shunts and some have internal ones. For the ones with internal shunts, which have two wires in and 2 wires out, you just sit them between the battery and controller, or in your case between the battery and the motor:

On some of them, you can take the shunts out and mount them remotely so you can have the meter where you can see it:

These ones have a remote shut already:

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
OK , so racked up about 120 miles on the bike now and have to say Im still loving it.
Went out for a ride today an just didn't want to stop. I did a usual route of about 12 miles and decided to just keep going a bit further. Ended up at 17 miles and could still have gone on but battery was getting low ish, so headed for home and dark clouds were appearing..!.
Tomorrow I will be checking all the bits ive put on to make sure nothing is working loose.
I didn't have any chain oil when I did the kit so i just used a general oil , but I then got some Weldtite TF2 Chain lube and it does feel smoother now on gear changes.
Only thing that is bothering me a little is I can just get totally comfortable on the pedals. I feel as though I have to keep moving my feet on them to get a comfy angle kind of thing.
Is this to do with the bafang crank arms being a different shape/angle to the Shimano ones I took off?
I never had this before to be honest.
Regards
Rob.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
So nearly 400 miles done on the bike now. Loving it.
Thought I would upgrade the front disc and put new pads in. Did the same for the wifes bike while I was at it.

Attachments

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
500 miles in..Weather has been terrible last week or so but still loving it..! ( I have done 100 or more miles on the wifes bike as well ).
Nothing has fallen off or come loose .
Looks like my safe range with the battery is certainly 35 miles or so which is probably enough for me. I am 100kg and the bike is 25kg ish so its not got the easiest task as im not exactly streamlined either.
Everywhere I go seems to have plenty of long hill climbs and headwinds ..
Heres to the next 500.

Attachments

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Well its been a while, as im a bit of a fair weather rider..!
Went out on the bike on Sunday and again it was faultless.
Battery had been charged last September so i put it on charge for a few hours before i went out and it performed perfectly. Only did 12 miles or so but it was great to get back on it again and i look forward to some more miles now the winter is almost behind us. Although it did snow a bit last night..!
Lycra boys look out...!

Reactions: Deus

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
For more than ten years, Bafang has been one of the world's leading manufacturers of electric bicycle components. In Europe, electric cars have become the standard. The modular design allows the control unit to be separated from the car. by cheap essay writers uk
What a disjointed first post, but anyway, welcome to the forum.

Advertisers