Advice on new ebike

Stu1955

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 11, 2018
Looking to venture into ebike , getting totally confused as to what to buy . I’m nearly 63 , 17st,not fit , dodgy hip, replacement was scheduled but cancelled due to finding heart problem whilst having preop done. I want something just for leisure mainly road but also a little off road just tracks/lanes not mtb. Like the look of haibike 7.5 trekking and the 9.0 trekking but not cheap and don’t know if I’m wasting my money spending that much and wether I should go for something like the Woosh Rio fat boy low step. I need something with a low crossbar due to hip, not so much a problem getting leg over but problem getting off

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Stu1955,

I think you have answered your own question with the Woosh Rio Fat Boy LS.
No doubt Woosh will be on here soon to add further suggestions.

Just like cars, electric bikes depreciate considerably and also above a certain purchase price level the law of diminishing returns applies.

I would recommend the biggest battery you can afford for an increased range.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Hi Stu.

Always a tricky choice buying your first ebike but at least you've got a good idea of what you want.

The Aima City ebike I've linked below fits most of your criteria at a good price and is a nice looking bike with sleek battery integration.
The only thing lacking is a throttle option, although I've got the same Bafang Max Drive motor on my Greenway Cross and the assistance kicks in as soon as you turn the pedals and the motor is wisper quiet. Like most Bafang motors the settings are also highly configurable, nudge nudge, wink wink.

Good luck in your quest..!

https://www.aimatech.co.uk/product/aima-city-bike/

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
An ancient thread, but does anyone know what happened to aima tech, mentioned in post 3.. They seem to have sunk without trace.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Facebook hasn't been touched for nearly a year, and the UK website doesn't exist even for the 'more info' Facebook link. Yes the Chinese firm seems to still be there, but UK presence seems nil. Try the Co.UK links..

Looking them up at companies House, the UK importers that is, aka Chester electric bike company, I see they intended to wind down the business this year, so I guess they did.

Look at the 2019 accounts.

Ah, there is an ebay seller who looks a lot like a director of the Chester electric bike company.. Dennis Ware.. Aka denniwar.

Last edited:

Wrighty

Jul 13, 2020
48volts and very big battery, seatpost suspension and a pair of padded underwear make every bike fun. Geared hub motor with min 5:1 or mid drive, some cheap but heavy rad power bikes on site with 22” wheels look fun just over a grand, Halfords do one for grand as well.

125kg load. Step through. Rear drive so not changing chains like the mid drive.

Last edited:

Wrighty

Jul 13, 2020
See why they call it a Rhino though at 32 kg..
I agree at 32 is heavy but not may walk through bikes around, 22kg and £1100 for the normal bike with disk brakes. Pre order October now
I have the best round town folding bike that I got for £600 in a sale Batribike dash folding bike with suspension front forks. Been fault free for six years.
Only problem is you have to hold on with both hands on the trails, fits in the boot of the car.

Last edited: