Rural commute

novemberdelta

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2020
Hi
Looking for a recommendation. Primarily for 9 mile/750ft each way commute in Scottish countryside. Some rough roads. Would really like some light off road ability. Ability to fit racks and guards essential.

I'm a fairly fit, strong and experienced cyclist but can't always be bothered cycling to and from when it's windy or I'm tired. I'm hoping an e bike would help me do more commuting. My average commute usually takes anything from 28-34 mins.

Budget max 3k but the less the better

I'm considering
Ribble cgr Al e - ticks ALL my boxes but it's expensive.

Orbea Gain - seems ok

Woosh faro - good price but doesn't look off road capable. I guess I could fit drop bars but I think the clearance would be a limiting factor.

Anything I'm missing or general advice would be great. Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Faro is no good off road.
The new Gran Camino is better. Remove the rack and change the mudguards, it'll look the part.

Aki

Just Joined
Feb 4, 2019
Hi
Have a search for Bafang BBS01B mid drive motor kit , This is a 250W motor that fits into the bottom bracket of your existing bike, It is possible to convert a bike in about 2 hours with fairly basic hand tools .
you should be able to get the motor and a decent battery 36V 15Ah for around £600.
Paul

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For commute and reliability I would opt for rear hub with 5 good PAS levels or a similar kit, a hub motor will do most off road stuff barring fast downhill with jumps.
You are not relegated to just mtb 700c /650b with 38 - 50mm tyre clearance will equally be as good.
A mid drive is an option though drive gear will see more wear and tear.

novemberdelta

Jul 14, 2020
Hi
Have a search for Bafang BBS01B mid drive motor kit , This is a 250W motor that fits into the bottom bracket of your existing bike, It is possible to convert a bike in about 2 hours with fairly basic hand tools .
you should be able to get the motor and a decent battery 36V 15Ah for around £600.
Paul
Cheers but that's not what I need. I still want to keep my unpowered bikes.

novemberdelta

Jul 14, 2020
For commute and reliability I would opt for rear hub with 5 good PAS levels or a similar kit, a hub motor will do most off road stuff barring fast downhill with jumps.
You are not relegated to just mtb 700c /650b with 38 - 50mm tyre clearance will equally be as good.
A mid drive is an option though drive gear will see more wear and tear.
Cheers. If much prefer 700/650b. Do you have any recommendations?

Aki

Just Joined
Feb 4, 2019
Cheers but that's not what I need. I still want to keep my unpowered bikes.
Ok that's fair enough, I actually almost never switch my ebike motor on unless I need to get somewhere real fast ,But the option is there if am having a bad day or there is a strong headwind etc.
I find that riding around with the extra weight of the motor and the battery does wonders when I ride my non powered bikes with my mate on the weekend.
Good luck and enjoy your ebike when you get sorted,you wont regret getting one
Paul

novemberdelta

Jul 14, 2020
Ok that's fair enough, I actually almost never switch my ebike motor on unless I need to get somewhere real fast ,But the option is there if am having a bad day or there is a strong headwind etc.
I find that riding around with the extra weight of the motor and the battery does wonders when I ride my non powered bikes with my mate on the weekend.
Good luck and enjoy your ebike when you get sorted,you wont regret getting one
Paul
Hey thanks.

I'm just keep coming back to the Ribble. Like you I think I would be happy riding with assistance only when needed and it looks like a decent bike to ride unassisted. Other days I might be looking for a bit of an effort. I'm in Scotland in the coast, having a wee bit of help in the wind would also be great.

Plus I really like the assistance and style of it, which is important to me in riding it every day.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
A hard tail electric mountain bike that you can fit a rack and mudguards to sounds just the job. Rear hub is generally more reliable and kinder on the transmission, crank drive is more capable off road and better at climbing steep hills.

The woosh bike looks good.

Do not worry about the chunkier build of a mountain bike, that just makes it more resiliant to punishment and the motor overcomes the weight with ease.

I bought an entry level hard tail Haibike with Yamaha crank drive to enable me to commute to work cross country and has been generally very good.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-hardseven-sl-2015-yamaha-7-month-1600-miles.22644/