Newbie needing touring bike

Gordy23

Just Joined
Jul 31, 2020
New to e bikes and looking for one for 20km commute and bikepacking and touring. Im fit and usually do 5 day bike tours with all my gear, averaging 45 miles a day. I envisage using an ebike on minimal assist most of the time. My ideal range would be about 60 km. Not sure whether to go with a light bike with small battery so i could cycle unassisted or a heavier bike with bigger battery and more range. Budget about £2200. Any ideas ?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I am a cycle tourist and when I go the ebike route for a tourer, I shall convert my steel Dawes Super Galaxy because that is a bike that I know is comfortable to ride for many consecutive days.

Compare this to the trials and tribulations of finding a new tourer, ebike or otherwise.

Reactions: jimriley

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Camino perhaps?
you can get about 50 miles with the 15AH battery, 60 miles with the 17AH battery.
The Camino is fully equipped with rack, mudguards and reasonably lightweight.

Reactions: gsm.terra

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
I've toured on a steel tourer for many years, and recently bought an ebike because I wasn't enjoying the hills as much as I used to. I camp when I tour, so it is fully loaded, and I use four panniers. If you do the same then you will run into the same difficulty that i had, which is that almost all ebikes seem to come with suspension forks. Those with rigid forks are usually carbon. I know you can fit panniers to suspension forks, but it is a bit of a bodge, and panniers on carbon forks is a no-no.

So I wanted rigid alloy forks with bosses for front panniers, and I searched far and wide ... and only found 2 ebikes that satsify that criterion. The Trek Allant+ 8. and the Koga eworld traveller. Maybe there are more now - I was searching back in January - but I don't think so.

You mention bikepacking as well as touring, so I am assuming that when touring rather than bikepacking you mean with a full complement of luggage.

If you do have lots of luggage, the bike is far more stable if you distribute the weight front and back, rather than having it all on the back. The alternative is to use a trailer.

Re the bike weight question, I would go for the bigger battery and longer range. I've found that with an ebike I want to go further than I used to...

On a slightly separate note it has surprised me how few ebikers seem to be into touring; there seem to be far more MTBers mand the FB ebike forums seem to be mainly populated with people in search of speed.

Good luck with your search!

Reactions: Bikes4two

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I am a cycle tourist and when I go the ebike route for a tourer, I shall convert my steel Dawes Super Galaxy because that is a bike that I know is comfortable to ride for many consecutive days.

Compare this to the trials and tribulations of finding a new tourer, ebike or otherwise.
I agree. I have a hybrid I'm used to, pannier racks front and back. I just fitted a pair of cheap sprung forks, I just had to make a couple of triangular ish S/steel plates that fit the drop out, one hole for mudguard fixing, another to take the pannier leg, slot for the dropout.
I'm waiting for Mr @Woosh 's boat to arrive with my Bbs01 and big battery. Come on lad, bribe those seamen with a few oars. Tell em to get a shift on, can't wait.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
------------------------------------------------------------------

So I wanted rigid alloy forks with bosses for front panniers, and I searched far and wide ... and only found 2 ebikes that satsify that criterion. The Trek Allant+ 8. and the Koga eworld traveller. Maybe there are more now - I was searching back in January - but I don't think so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I've always fancied a Koga - I love the trad look. For those with deep pockets, Santos (Santosbikes.com) do a nice range of bikes suitable for touring including some with the Rohloff IGH and Belt drives - now where's my lottery ticket :cool: .

Reactions: Bobajob

Gordy23

Just Joined
Jul 31, 2020
I've toured on a steel tourer for many years, and recently bought an ebike because I wasn't enjoying the hills as much as I used to. I camp when I tour, so it is fully loaded, and I use four panniers. If you do the same then you will run into the same difficulty that i had, which is that almost all ebikes seem to come with suspension forks. Those with rigid forks are usually carbon. I know you can fit panniers to suspension forks, but it is a bit of a bodge, and panniers on carbon forks is a no-no.

You mention bikepacking as well as touring, so I am assuming that when touring rather than bikepacking you mean with a full complement of luggage.

If you do have lots of luggage, the bike is far more stable if you distribute the weight front and back, rather than having it all on the back. The alternative is to use a trailer.

Re the bike weight question, I would go for the bigger battery and longer range. I've found that with an ebike I want to go further than I used to...

On a slightly separate note it has surprised me how few ebikers seem to be into touring; there seem to be far more MTBers mand the FB ebike forums seem to be mainly populated with people in search of speed.

Good luck with your search!
I am using a hybrid set up, back panniers plus front bar harness and fork bags which would be ok with suspension forks and carbon forks. I agree that there seems to be a lack of distance touring and bikepacking e bikes. I find myself looking at e gravel bikes as a good compromise.

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
I've always fancied a Koga - I love the trad look. For those with deep pockets, Santos (Santosbikes.com) do a nice range of bikes suitable for touring including some with the Rohloff IGH and Belt drives - now where's my lottery ticket :cool: .
wow, yes those santos bikes look great, hadn't come across them. Maybe my browser knows my budget limits <g>

• :D
Reactions: Bikes4two and Woosh

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Last edited:

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I can give you my opinion on the light bike angle, but not for heavier bikes.
I've gone from a 20 year-old steel-framed Mercian audax/tourer to a basic Orbea Gain (D50). I was worried it was quite a big step down in quality, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The Orbea Gain frame and equipment is plenty good enough (not as good as Campag on a Mercian, but still perfectly usable), and the disc brakes are excellent. The only weak point I've found is the wheel build quality, which I've remedied (I'm near max weight for the bike, so I'm probably the issue, not the bike). It has mudguard and pannier mounting points too - vital.

The weight is slightly up on a steel tourer, by maybe 2Kg, which is noticeable but not intrusive once on the move.

If you're reasonably fit (as your description says you are), then you'll be able to ride mostly with no assistance, and just use it for some hills. On shallow inclines you'll be OK under your own steam. For average to steep hills, you'll find you need to put maybe 30-50% in. For really steep hills like 14% (1-in-7) or similar, then you'll be putting 50%+ in, so it's not a free ride. Lighter people can put in less effort than me, of course - less to drag up the hill.

In terms of range, if you're only using assistance on demand, then you can expect much more than 60Km - more like 60-80 miles because you're only using it for, say, 10-20% of the ride.

The other reasonable priced light bike I'd consider is the Boardman ADV8.9, but it's a tad more than £2200. The two main positive differences are 1) it's a Fazua mid-drive rather than rear hub so the assistance follows your torque (pedalling effort) rather than your wheel speed, and 2) you can remove the battery, which is more convenient for charging. My wife has the Boardman HYB8.9 and I'd say it's slightly better designed than the Orbea, the Fazua system is impressive, so I'd say it's probably worth the extra. The only reason I didn't get one was that a cheap Orbea threw itself upon me.

Gordy23

Just Joined
Jul 31, 2020
I can give you my opinion on the light bike angle, but not for heavier bikes.
I've gone from a 20 year-old steel-framed Mercian audax/tourer to a basic Orbea Gain (D50). I was worried it was quite a big step down in quality, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The Orbea Gain frame and equipment is plenty good enough (not as good as Campag on a Mercian, but still perfectly usable), and the disc brakes are excellent. The only weak point I've found is the wheel build quality, which I've remedied (I'm near max weight for the bike, so I'm probably the issue, not the bike). It has mudguard and pannier mounting points too - vital.

The weight is slightly up on a steel tourer, by maybe 2Kg, which is noticeable but not intrusive once on the move.

If you're reasonably fit (as your description says you are), then you'll be able to ride mostly with no assistance, and just use it for some hills. On shallow inclines you'll be OK under your own steam. For average to steep hills, you'll find you need to put maybe 30-50% in. For really steep hills like 14% (1-in-7) or similar, then you'll be putting 50%+ in, so it's not a free ride. Lighter people can put in less effort than me, of course - less to drag up the hill.

In terms of range, if you're only using assistance on demand, then you can expect much more than 60Km - more like 60-80 miles because you're only using it for, say, 10-20% of the ride.

The other reasonable priced light bike I'd consider is the Boardman ADV8.9, but it's a tad more than £2200. The two main positive differences are 1) it's a Fazua mid-drive rather than rear hub so the assistance follows your torque (pedalling effort) rather than your wheel speed, and 2) you can remove the battery, which is more convenient for charging. My wife has the Boardman HYB8.9 and I'd say it's slightly better designed than the Orbea, the Fazua system is impressive, so I'd say it's probably worth the extra. The only reason I didn't get one was that a cheap Orbea threw itself upon me.
Thanks for your advice it answered a lot of my questions. I forsee myself only using the assist for steep hills and cycling mostly under my own steam and that a heavier bike and battery would lessen my input and make me more reliant on the assist. I think i will be going for the lighter bikes like the Boardman or Ribble.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Thanks for your advice it answered a lot of my questions. I forsee myself only using the assist for steep hills and cycling mostly under my own steam and that a heavier bike and battery would lessen my input and make me more reliant on the assist. I think i will be going for the lighter bikes like the Boardman or Ribble.
I too would be tempted by these bikes from what I’ve read about the Fazua motor. However, for the same money you could buy a good spec traditional tourer (or use an existing one) and fit a lightweight kit like the Aikema 85SX. This is the setup I have (with my Thorn Tour) and it is working well. (Although I‘d always welcome an extra bike!)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Will that container also have the Gran Camino I've got my name on as well ? :p

Les
the Gran Camino is on the 'Ever Genius'.
Its current position is in the Bay of Biscay, Portugal coast.

Reactions: LSR

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I too would be tempted by these bikes from what I’ve read about the Fazua motor. However, for the same money you could buy a good spec traditional tourer (or use an existing one) and fit a lightweight kit like the Aikema 85SX. This is the setup I have (with my Thorn Tour) and it is working well. (Although I‘d always welcome an extra bike!)
Good point! I did look into converting my Mercian with a mid-drive conversion (the Tongsheng TSDZ2), but the gear cables running (very tidily) under the bottom bracket messed that option up for me. I've chosen to leave the Mercian alone and sell it to a younger owner, rather than hack it about too much.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not yet. I'll get the shipping info next week.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I think i will be going for the lighter bikes like the Boardman or Ribble.
I agree the Ribble SLe looks good if you want to go light - 12.4Kg for a Medium frame is what they quote. Or if you want a little extra strength, maybe the CGR Al e gravel one at 13.8Kg. They both use the same Mahle ebikemotion system as the Orbea, so the same pros and cons go with them in terms of rear hub and non-removable battery.

On the Fazua front, the other sub-£3k make I've noticed is Canyon. It's worth noting that the Canyon has the newer design of the Fazua battery lock compared to the the Boardman. Not a showstopper for me, but for some people the original battery lock can be fiddly to use - you need some thumb strength to push the release button AND big hands to catch the battery as it drops out of the frame. (You can retro-fit the new lock to a Boardman if need be, at something like £100ish, or check if they have the new lock design fitted yet.)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
the Gran Camino is on the 'Ever Genius'.
Its current position is in the Bay of Biscay, Portugal coast.
Blimey sounds like the Admiral (Hattie )has got her whole fleet at sea ;).
They will be queuing up at the Stow to berth.
Woosh has some busy times ahead or just around the corner.

Reactions: Woosh