Thoughts on regulations?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We've covered this subject repeatedly ad nauseum over the whole 14 year life of this forum.

Please read through the current thread on it that's on this link to see how completely that's been done.

When you've read it right through hopefully you'll drop the subject.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
We've covered this subject repeatedly ad nauseum over the whole 14 year life of this forum.

Please read through the current thread on it that's on this link to see how completely that's been done.

When you've read it right through hopefully you'll drop the subject.
If you read the comments section on the video you will see that I agree with you Flecc.

Reactions: flecc

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Didn't watch it all but randomly FF'ed to about 3.30
"They are only allowed to assist you to a max of 15 or it is 20 miles an hour?, I can't remember .."
If she can't be bothered to even get the current law right for the video....

Reactions: Gringo and Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
I did not watch it all, but if I understood her on the video, she has never ever fallen off!
Lucky for her.
Boring video....Best part is the dog!!
Lol, she's alright is Nikki but yes it would have been better fact checked & wotnot.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Lol, she's alright is Nikki but yes it would have been better fact checked & wotnot.

I agree with what she says. I presume she is based in the US, hence why she was unsure about speed limits here, but she did ask for people to give her the facts in the comments, ie the actual numbers.

What she says about trying to cycle in traffic is true. If you are doing 15 to 20 mph and traffic is doing 30, you're seen as an obstruction, a nuisance and I have been on the receiving end of a lot of crap from motorists over the years.

One solution is to allow you to be able to do 30 mph, so you "are" the traffic in the eyes of motorists. You get far fewer over takes that way.

However, I think the best solution is to lower all urban speed limits to 20 mph. Also, to have strict enforcement of giving proper space when over taking cyclists. That would be a better way of ensuring safety all round.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with what she says.
I strongly disagree with her, and all the members videos in here of their collisions and injuries at 20 or so with cars pulling out, turning across etc show why. Allowing that would be bad, allow 30 and it would be carnage and a sharp rise in deaths and serious injuries.

Here's the only sensible mix. Leave the pedelec limit where it is, not encouraging higher speed. Make all local residential roads 20 limit and enforce. Segregate cyclists on all through routes.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Far from raising the speed limit from 15 mph, which would increase danger, the only thing that I would like to see legalised is higher power limits for commercial and disabled use (I mean higher wattage to allow hill climbing and hauling heavy loads)

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
I agree with what she says. I presume she is based in the US, hence why she was unsure about speed limits here, but she did ask for people to give her the facts in the comments, ie the actual numbers.

What she says about trying to cycle in traffic is true. If you are doing 15 to 20 mph and traffic is doing 30, you're seen as an obstruction, a nuisance and I have been on the receiving end of a lot of crap from motorists over the years.

One solution is to allow you to be able to do 30 mph, so you "are" the traffic in the eyes of motorists. You get far fewer over takes that way.

However, I think the best solution is to lower all urban speed limits to 20 mph. Also, to have strict enforcement of giving proper space when over taking cyclists. That would be a better way of ensuring safety all round.
Yep agreed, more & better infrastructure where needed & reduced speed in urban areas.

• Agree
Reactions: WheezyRider

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Far from raising the speed limit from 15 mph, which would increase danger, the only thing that I would like to see legalised is higher power limits for commercial and disabled use (I mean higher wattage to allow hill climbing and hauling heavy loads)
And throttles for disabled use. (as with everything, difficult to draw the line and to enforce, though)

Reactions: Swizz

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And throttles for disabled use. (as with everything, difficult to draw the line and to enforce, though)
We've got both already, L1e-A class.

Four times the rated power allowed with 15.5 mph and full throttle as well.

Yes has to be registered and insured, but no driving licence necessary.

Getting someone to make them is a problem though since no-one has seen a demand it seems over at least two decades. However, build yourself to take through SVA for a £55 fee is easy enough and has been done by a few.

Last edited: