Help! Looking for a daily commute bike around £1000 - £1200

LukeM

Just Joined
Aug 4, 2020
I'm completely new to E Bikes, and looking for an experienced opinion on the best bike I can get for around £1000.

I will be using the bike to travel to and from work on a daily basis (6 miles each way for a total 12 miles per day).
The route consists mainly of paved road and tarmac through the city and public parks, with some uphill sections.
I'm aiming to complete the 6 mile journey in 30 minutes or less
Looking for a mountain bike style frame, preferably in black or darker colours.
Needs to fit a Male between 5'6" - 5'8"
No storage capability is needed as I carry a backpack.
I can charge the battery every night if necessary.
Not looking for a throttle bike, just something that will speed up my journey whilst requiring little effort on my part, and provide an enjoyable riding experience.

A bike I've had my eye on that seems to fit all these needs is the "Carrera Vengeance E Men's Electric Bike" - this is the style of bike I am going for.

Any recommendations / guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: budsy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Suntour drive on the Carrera has given lots of problems (search Crossfire on the forum)

The Woosh Rio is good value but a bit more: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-mtb and may not be available. (ebike availability generally very hard right now). A lot of the cost is a big battery, which you don't really need.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the Woosh Camino may suit you.

It has a range about 50-60 miles so you don't have to keep remembering to charge it up. It's comfortable and fully equipped, including a throttle.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We chose our Motus partly because we wanted hub gears. I think I read somewhere about a hub motor with two different gear ratios, I certainly haven't seen one with a significant number of gears. This means hub gears can only be used on crank or front hub motor ebikes. Many Dutch/Danish/German bikes have Bosch crank drive, so the issue does not arise. There is still a cost premium on crank drive systems (look for example at the cost of different Woosh kits). Discussions on benefits of front hub, crank and rear hub drives will doubtless continue here and elsewhere, but the lack of multi-geared hub motors is a significant design constraint.

Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
We chose our Motus partly because we wanted hub gears. I think I read somewhere about a hub motor with two different gear ratios, I certainly haven't seen one with a significant number of gears. This means hub gears can only be used on crank or front hub motor ebikes. Many Dutch/Danish/German bikes have Bosch crank drive, so the issue does not arise. There is still a cost premium on crank drive systems (look for example at the cost of different Woosh kits). Discussions on benefits of front hub, crank and rear hub drives will doubtless continue here and elsewhere, but the lack of multi-geared hub motors is a significant design constraint.
Sorry Sjpt , I had taken my post down thinking it was not sufficient to put up here regards the main poster looking for a bike ..I did like look of this Camino bike from woosh I admit , and only one thing puts me off is them gears which take a battering from the elements , and us all being in UK we get much rainfall and so one reason I prefer gearing inside hub of a bike which saves much on maintenance I feel

as bike I have used non e bike now for a good 20 yrs hasn't been in one store for any service at all ..iv done nothing to it ..and is still in good nik ..but e bike route is way to go when age isn't so well on your side with hilly parts begin to take their toll
as are now with myself I admit ..The woosh bike above the Camino was a bike I was about to put up a link to the guy ..this until I scrawled down seen it and so didn't need The only thing is Luke is slight maybe shorter in height for the bike although maybe not ? ..but not good when u say receive a bike like such and maybe having to send it back this because frame size isn't for you ..personally Im 5ft 9" in bare feet and is a bike I was looking at , but for the gearing only and this is what puts me off all them bikes
and vast majority all are with this type gearing .

Cant UK not also go the Dutch and German way ? as so many people and ive met some had sent to Germany for their bikes , although some of them with the gears as in Camino , and most bikes gearing is , also makes me wonder why send to another country when u can buy an e bike with them gears in UK although them gears just put me off , as are out to the elements , and if not for that iv have bought one by now .

But makes me think its maybe best going into a local store to try
some bikes out firstly and possibly way main poster should go .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
e-bikes are already heavy like they are, the Camino weighs 23kgs on its own.
If I had to put a hub gear and a full chainguard, it'll add about 1kg-1.5kgs extra weight.
As the motor supplements your pedal effort, you don't need to pedal any harder when you are going up a steep gradient, you don't even need to change gear if you don't want to. That extends in practice the life of your chain and sprockets.