First attempt ebike conversion

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
TA's are Torque Arm's, on their own still not suitable if the axle doesn't sit fully in.
Just gad you are the one who's going to be riding it and not me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ok thanks for the advice I guess I am ordering a decent file then at least its aluminium so a bit easier to file.
Some of us use a Dremmel type tool to mill out the D'O what ever you do don't go for it and go mad, file out small adjustments at a time. It makes sense to use black board marker or similar to mark the area to file.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Beg pardon if I seem harsh but only thinking of your safety in having the hub wheel fitted correctly as at speed you will know about it if a failure occurs.

markkg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 13, 2020
Your axle is 14mm diameter milled down to 10mm across the flats, so you need 14mm x 10mm slots in the torque arms. the other size is 12mm x 10mm, which won't fit your axle.

I'd be filing the drop-outs deeper. If you look at the centre of your axle, it's now about 4 or 5mm further down than the original 9mm one's centre. That can affect the position of the brake pads on the disc.
Good point I didnt think of the brake issue, filing it is then. Thanks for the advice.

markkg

Aug 13, 2020
Beg pardon if I seem harsh but only thinking of your safety in having the hub wheel fitted correctly as at speed you will know about it if a failure occurs.
Not at all I‘m grateful for the advice being new to this, glad I joined the group its been refreshing to see how many people happy to help out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In your post with the first three pics you can clearly see the marks where the axle nuts have gripped you will be safe to file out or Dremmel to the near those marks (not forgetting to make sure the axle sits level at the end of the process). The tabbed washer then can sit with the tab at the seat area so it has max leverage/hold, better still if you replace those tabbed washers with better ones that have the tabs at right angles rather then an offset angle. TA's will still be needed as the 1kw hub will provide a lot of power/torque.

markkg

Aug 13, 2020
In your post with the first three pics you can clearly see the marks where the axle nuts have gripped you will be safe to file out or Dremmel to the near those marks (not forgetting to make sure the axle is level) at the end of the process. The tabbed washer then can sit with the tab at the seat area so it has max leverage/hold, better still if you replace those tabbed washers with better ones that have the tabs at right angles rather then an offset angle. TA's will still be needed as the 1kw hub will provide a lot of power/torque.
thanks I found the torque arms you suggested from Hammer ebikes, will get to work on it and report back, thanks again.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Shame really you didn't join sooner and ask before you bought the 1kw D/D hub as we would have steered you towards a geared hub installation.

markkg

Aug 13, 2020
Shame really you didn't join sooner and ask before you bought the 1kw D/D hub as we would have steered you towards a geared hub installation.
Maybe I’ll try this and go the geared option later.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Welcome
Hope it all works out and you get it sorted soon

markkg

Aug 13, 2020
Quick update and big thanks for the help, I filed the dropouts down about 4mm the axle dropped in nicely, slow going but wanted a snug fit. Both torque washers modified so tabs were 90 degrees and two torque arms fitted. Test ride and full check over then a 2 mile ride and all seems ok. Just waiting for the thunder storm to pass before I go out again.

Apples24

Feb 6, 2024
Hi apologies for bringing up a older thread

got the same 2020 bike carrera vengeance

I’m about to buy a 1500w kit on eBay but googling first linked me to this good site

Any advice on a fitment if kit? It’s 27.5 inch rear wheel

are any half decent torque arms fine to use?
Thanks all

Lee

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
are any half decent torque arms fine to use?
Thanks all

Lee
There are two axle sizes for torque arms. Make sure you get the right size for the motor you buy.

You didn't say precisely which motor you're going to get, bust of those big 1500 DD motors are freewheel only, which means 7-speed gears max, so you'll have to do something with your shifting system to match.