Very thin chain, voodoo bizango

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
My mate bought a voodoo bizango this evening, on his way to mine the chain snapped! On inspection the chain is very thin metal, also it looked to be bending towards the rear wheel. Bought from Halfords, images attached.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The way the chain link has simply parted might suggest a faulty chain batch, a weakness with the pin.

Reactions: gsm.terra

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Maybe he started in a too high gear or he messed up his shifting. If you make mistakes with a crank motor, you might have to pay the penalty. Is he used to riding bikes with those sorts of motors?

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
That looks like a standard 10 speed chain is it a kmc [standard] from new was he in the biggest cog was the chin to tight
I suspect that he might have been, he’s left the bike with me overnight. Contacting Halfords tomorrow.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Maybe he started in a too high gear or he messed up his shifting. If you make mistakes with a crank motor, you might have to pay the penalty. Is he used to riding bikes with those sorts of motors?
No, this is his first ebike. I did suggest something cheaper...

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
The way the chain link has simply parted might suggest a faulty chain batch, a weakness with the pin.
As I say, he’s contacting Halfords in the morning. Not what i would have expected for what he paid for the machine!

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Not a good start for your mate with his new bike. Halfords can be a bit sloppy with thier PDI, so chain could have been damaged and not noticed. Back to the shop I guess.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you wont get anywhere with halfords with a broken chain on a ebike as it is classed as a wear part so wont have any warranty.

tho id still try get a new chain out of them just dont let them fit it and re index the gears.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Not a good start for your mate with his new bike. Halfords can be a bit sloppy with thier PDI, so chain could have been damaged and not noticed. Back to the shop I guess.
Aye, looks a great machine though! Very lightweight.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
you wont get anywhere with halfords with a broken chain on a ebike as it is classed as a wear part so wont have any warranty.
Riding a brand new bike straight out of the store and the chain breaks, it will be covered as it’s obviously faulty and not fit for purpose.

the only time I’ve had a chain break was on my non E Bizango (11 speed) only a few months old, the KMC replacement has been faultless.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Halfords have said he can bring it in on Saturday and have the chain replaced, apparently they said nothing about being careful on this type of bike with mid mount motor, which i find pretty poor!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well at least you got a new chain out of them but cant say i also have never broken a chain like that.

tho i have snapped a quick link as kept using it and my rear mech failed and that did snap the chain but was the only time it happen and was my fault.

thats what happens when the chain does not brake lol ;)

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
well at least you got a new chain out of them but cant say i also have never broken a chain like that.

tho i have snapped a quick link as kept using it and my rear mech failed and that did snap the chain but was the only time it happen and was my fault.

View attachment 37763
thats what happens when the chain does not brake lol ;)
Jeez! Looks nasty!!

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
It certainly does look like that (done by my husband on his Haibike)
I've got the new Voodoo Bizango E MTB and not had a problem with it at all, the chain was fine although I'm now on my second one and did upgrade to the kmc 10 speed ebike specific as I know from experience they certainly last longer.
My Voodoo now. Fits us women too but naturally the 17 in.
Bit of bling form reverse components, red to match decals, ergon saddle and brand x ascend dropper.....all a little bit more personal. Oh this ones my real baby.
I can't deny for the price the voodoo is bang for the buck and maybe a faulty chain. IMG_20190205_112022 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20200624_170439.jpg

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
It certainly does look like that (done by my husband on his Haibike)
I've got the new Voodoo Bizango E MTB and not had a problem with it at all, the chain was fine although I'm now on my second one and did upgrade to the kmc 10 speed ebike specific as I know from experience they certainly last longer.
My Voodoo now. Fits us women too but naturally the 17 in.
Bit of bling form reverse components, red to match decals, ergon saddle and brand x ascend dropper.....all a little bit more personal. Oh this ones my real baby.
I can't deny for the price the voodoo is bang for the buck and maybe a faulty chain. View attachment 37838
View attachment 37836
That is a thing of beauty!

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Thank you I love my bikes
Out on it today....a rainy ride sometimes has to be done....awaiting further day's off to get out on the pink bike.
IMG_20200817_131839.jpgIMG_20200817_133421.jpg

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Tomorrow doesn't look to great my end, but got out today...
Maybe the pink bike on thursday but not sure yet.
IMG_20200818_121846.jpg

Related Articles

Advertisers