Speedo problem (Oxygen S Cross MTB MkIII)

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
I did post something along these lines earlier on today, but I think I inadvertently deleted it, so apologies if I didn't, and I'm repeating myself!
Further to several posts regarding this bike, now fitted with a T06S controller, KT LCD8S display, Waxung 108X throttle, and a 12 pole PAS sensor, everything is working perfectly, except the speedo, which a) won't display speed in excess of about 22mph, irrespective of actual speed (max speed on display is set at 72kmh....yes I know it won't go that fast)
and b) the speedo displays about half speed with pedalling without assistance. I appreciate that none of this is particularly important, but I'd rather everything worked correctly!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It sound like you haven't set the speed sensor parameter, so it's using a motor hall sensor for the speed signal, i.e. you have P2=0 when it should be P2 =1 or 6, depending on the number of magnets in the motor.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Okay, it's been grating on me for a while now having followed the OP's posts...

I can understand the popularity of the original MkI and MkII Oxygen e-bikes, given the free ability to derestrict them. But Oxygen have totally ruined the main feature of their e-bikes with this MkIII by removing that ability.

To spend circa £1500 on an e-bike and then strip out and replace key parts of a new bike? I just don't understand that logic.

I often muse at some here that spend serious money on an e-bike, and then spend several hundred more changing everything about it. Why? Wouldn't it simply be better finding an e-bike that already had those features you wanted?

Maybe I'm just weird.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

I can understand the popularity of the original MkI and MkII Oxygen e-bikes, given the free ability to derestrict them. But Oxygen have totally ruined the main feature of their e-bikes with this MkIII by removing that ability.

To spend circa £1500 on an e-bike and then strip out and replace key parts of a new bike? I just don't understand that logic.

I often muse at some here that spend serious money on an e-bike, and then spend several hundred more changing everything about it. Why? Wouldn't it simply be better finding an e-bike that already had those features you wanted?

Maybe I'm just weird.
I think some of these guys bought or ordered their bikes without knowing that Oxygen had changed them. They specifically bought them because of their reputation for easy derestriction. I predict that this change will finish Oxygen as a brand. Expect to see them on E-bikes direct at a knock-down price at Christmas.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020

Maybe I'm just weird.
As VFR400 said, some of us (myself included), had already ordered the MkIII, and were totally unaware of the changes made by Oxygen. The changeover of parts didn't cost 'hundreds', but probably cost about £100. It's not £100 that I wanted to spend, but as I got a 10% discount off the bike (which I wasn't expecting), I still ended up with a good deal. The removal of the ability to derestrict was annoying, but the fact that a throttle couldn't be fitted was the most annoying factor. I think it's safer to have a throttle which can be used when needed, for crossing roads, joining traffic etc, rather than having to wait for PAS to 'kick in' after you start pedalling. One other negative point was that the LCD display was much smaller, with less functions, and in my opinion, a retrograde step. I now have a much better, colour display (had I plumped for a lesser one, it would have saved me about £30)
All-in-all, the bike is now exactly what it should have been in the first place, albeit with a better display and throttle.
The other point made was that it might have been simpler to find another ebike with the required features? Have you tried to find an ebike lately, without waiting for months- I gave up waiting for a Cyclotricity after 2 months...........

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
As VFR400 said, some of us (myself included), had already ordered the MkIII, and were totally unaware of the changes made by Oxygen.
That much I understand, and would too be seriously cheesed off about it.
I think it's safer to have a throttle which can be used when needed, for crossing roads, joining traffic etc, rather than having to wait for PAS to 'kick in' after you start pedalling.
I have two e-bikes, neither of which have a throttle. It's not a problem I personally encounter. But each to their own...
The other point made was that it might have been simpler to find another ebike with the required features? Have you tried to find an ebike lately, without waiting for months
Yes, I understand that problem too, and count myself lucky to have bought a second e-bike at the end of last year before this unforeseen pandemic and prices rose dramatically.

I'm glad your e-bike now delivers everything you'd initially been hoping for... it's just tragic that Oxygen appear to have wilfully trashed the core reason why people bought them.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have mentioned the P2 setting a couple of times but obviously it has been ignored on the other threads. Why not just keep one thread going rather then 3 or 4 on the same bike and user.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
I have mentioned the P2 setting a couple of times but obviously it has been ignored on the other threads. Why not just keep one thread going rather then 3 or 4 on the same bike and user.
Yes, not quite sure what happened there! Couldn't find the bits I was looking for...Will endeavour to keep it to one thread. I wouldn't have knowingly ignored your advice, so apologies for that.

Last edited:

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
That much I understand, and would too be seriously cheesed off about it.

I have two e-bikes, neither of which have a throttle. It's not a problem I personally encounter. But each to their own...

Yes, I understand that problem too, and count myself lucky to have bought a second e-bike at the end of last year before this unforeseen pandemic and prices rose dramatically.

I'm glad your e-bike now delivers everything you'd initially been hoping for... it's just tragic that Oxygen appear to have wilfully trashed the core reason why people bought them.
It does seem very short sighted of them, their response was basically that they are just complying with the law. Don't think it's going to help with future sales though

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It does seem very short sighted of them, their response was basically that they are just complying with the law. Don't think it's going to help with future sales though
I don't think the new guys at Oxygen have any clue about their market. They didn't come from an electric bike background. They probably have no idea of why people buy their bikes. The guy that set it up in 2008 was a mountain biker, and his idea was to make them a bit more sporty than others. The next guy was a good businessman and salesman. I'm pretty sure that he new which side his bread was buttered. Since he retired, they had a manager that was all mouth and no do, and the latest guy seems to be more like an accountant. I haven't met the new owner, but I don't think he/they has/have an active role in running the business.

Reactions: Hovlev2

sammyc77

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2021
Sorry to piggyback this thread. I’ve just bought a mkii S-Cross CB with the centrally mounted portrait style led screen. I can get into what I think is the right menu to derestrict it(hold the set and + buttons and enter 2 digit code) but cannot adjust the values in that menu by using the + and - buttons. Is this because of the changes by Oxygen mentioned in this thread, or wondering if I am doing something wrong? I’m not fussed about a throttle, but would be nice to grab some extra “oomph” if its available :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are two ways to get more speed. You can either buy all new electrics other than battery and motor (about £80) and wire them in or you can do the speed sensor dodge.

The new controller will give the option of more power too, but I don't know if the 17A or 20A ones fit in the space provided. You'd need to tell us how big the space is.

The speed sensor dodge is something you can do on most hub-motored bikes. The speed signal comes along the white wire in the motor cable. You get an external speed sensor and splice it into a short motor extension cable. You put a magnet on the inside of the left side pedal spindle and fix the sensor anywhere where the magnet will pass close to it. The controller will then see the speed of the pedal, which would be around 60 rpm instead of the wheel speed of about 190 rpm at 15 mph. Obviously, the speed display would be wrong too.

If you just want more power, you might be able to solder the shunt in the controller. Use Google to search the forum how to do that. Some modern controllers have solid state shunts, which are a bit harder to deal with, but still possible.