Bosch high battery temperature?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
My 2018 Cube Reaction Race is at the lbs for fault diagnostics, and they report that it has had 115 battery charges and the battery has reached its highest temperature of 44 degrees which is unusually high.
They suggested that it must have been left out in the sun, which it hasn't as its never left outdoors, so maybe just from riding on hot days?
Or will the Badass doing have been a cause?
Is this a high temp?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The more current you draw from a battery the hotter the battery will get. I guess that Badass won't directly cause that, but it will encourage the type of riding that causes it. You could get the same effect without Badass by climbing a long mountain at full power on a hot day. Without Badass riding on the flat even with turbo will just get to 15.5mph and not use a huge current. Riding at a steady 20 or 25 mph with Badass will stress battery and motor.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike has cut out once on a boiling hot day climbing a hill and imo the batt and motor was boiling hot and had to stop for 10mins b4 it came back to life.

you use a lot more amps climbing a hill so on a hot day 44c does not seem that high to me.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Or will the Badass doing have been a cause?
Is this a high temp?
The Badass itself doesn't do anything. It's how you use the power that counts. The Badass allows you to keep the high power on for longer, which can over-heat the battery. The battery has resistance, so it will heat up according to the rule that heat in watts equals the current squared times the resistance. As it's a squared rule, the heat accelerates up with increasing current.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
My return home commute ride is up some very steep hills, so maybe thats why?

Related Articles

Advertisers