Powabyke Xbyke/Tongsheng TDZ - a 'not another build thread' thread

Michellemybelle

Just Joined
Aug 30, 2020
I really enjoyed your lock down project it turned out really well good on you. And you got me thinking if i should convert a bike i have in my garage, its a Marin attack trail i'm not sure if it would be the best to convert though

Reactions: Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
I really enjoyed your lock down project it turned out really well good on you. And you got me thinking if i should convert a bike i have in my garage, its a Marin attack trail i'm not sure if it would be the best to convert though
Yay Hi Michelle and thank you! Why not start a thread & post a pic? All these kits seem pretty universal so am sure it'll be doable :)

Reactions: Michellemybelle

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Am getting a pleasant surprise with the battery life at the moment. As the battery showed full on the LCD out of the box I did not charge it until it's 1st cycle to emptyish at 57 miles. Since her 1st recharge the bike has done 34 miles. The LCD hasn't lost a bar on the battery meter & all the LEDs on the battery case are still lit. I have just been doing short trips although today, a 12 miler to Glossop & back involved the long slog up Mottram Moor in turbo mode and that must have used up a few electrons!
It's like the gift that keeps on giving really and if building another, I would definitely consider a smaller lighter battery. No range anxiety at all :)IMG_20200902_135124270.jpg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Maybe the battery meter isn't calculating correctly. I think I'd check the battery with a voltmeter and test how far you can go before segments disappear.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Maybe the battery meter isn't calculating correctly. I think I'd check the battery with a voltmeter and test how far you can go before segments disappear.
Interesting. Multimeter shows 49.2v so would that be about 80% charged?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The battery bars are a guesstimate at best, the bars can suddenly disappear its a tsdz2 thing
Even the new colour display that reads volts is not accurate
The range is variable if i thrash mine in turbo off-road it can run out in 35 miles, but always better than my bafang as the human effort is like power saver mode

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
May keep my mileage around 50-60 miles then or at least check it again with the multimeter at 50 miles.

Worra faff!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
May keep my mileage around 50-60 miles then or at least check it again with the multimeter at 50 miles.

Worra faff!
Do one long ride to figure out what happens to the display. Take a voltmeter to keep an eye on the battery, then you'll know for the future what to expect.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
49.9v is about 70% & 48,6v about 60%.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
It's getting stranger now. Have done 39 miles - the LCD still shows full which I am now taking as unreliable, but additionally (& separately really!) the row of LEDs on the battery casing are still fully lit. On the 1st use cycle these dropped off roughly in line with the LCD displays battery gauge...am regretting not checking the battery with a multimeter when it was new out of the box.

Attachments

Reactions: gsm.terra

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
It's getting stranger now. Have done 39 miles - the LCD still shows full which I am now taking as unreliable, but additionally (& separately really!) the row of LEDs on the battery casing are still fully lit. On the 1st use cycle these dropped off roughly in line with the LCD displays battery gauge...am regretting not checking the battery with a multimeter when it was new out of the box.
Had a similar situation to you in that the display showed full battery for a suspiciously long time time before dropping any bars. Then the powerpack leds finally went down by one and and things started tracking. I put it down to me supplying too many watts myself. Have committed to being lazier and letting the drive do more work when the Mundo's up and running, which it'll have to because it's a bloody tank!

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Those charge indicators are pretty vague TBH. It's worth wiring an inline voltmeter between the battery and the motor if you want a more accurate picture. Based on the voltage/ percentage charge figures previously posted, you'll then get an idea of how much range you've actually got.

My 48v system is fully charged at 54.4v and it's totally gutless at 45v (although it hasn't actually hit the LVC)...

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Had a similar situation to you in that the display showed full battery for a suspiciously long time time before dropping any bars. Then the powerpack leds finally went down by one and and things started tracking. I put it down to me supplying too many watts myself. Have committed to being lazier and letting the drive do more work when the Mundo's up and running, which it'll have to because it's a bloody tank!
Will be an awesome tank tho!

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Those charge indicators are pretty vague TBH. It's worth wiring an inline voltmeter between the battery and the motor if you want a more accurate picture. Based on the voltage/ percentage charge figures previously posted, you'll then get an idea of how much range you've actually got.

My 48v system is fully charged at 54.4v and it's totally gutless at 45v (although it hasn't actually hit the LVC)...
Okay thank you. Voltmeter sounds a good idea.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
An ammeter which also keeps track of total aH used is more accurate; a voltmeter will always show the voltage sag so be a bit more difficult to interpret.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A wattmeter is a nice little project as something to add to your ebike for a while. It teaches you a lot about how the control system works, while it also tells you everything about battery voltage, consumption and capacity.

You can buy a £10 wattmeter from Ebay, take the shunts out and make a remote connection for them, or use one of the battery wires as a shunt, then make a nice bracket to mount the wattmeter where you can see it.

I made some explanations about how to do it here:

Clearer photos here if it works:

Last edited:

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Quick update: bike is doing amazing.
The battery at 45.8v is getting ready for it's 3rd charge but am on nights all week so will wait until the weekend - charging before it's next use.

Sunday evening was spent alleviating some stress with a 12 mile loop taking in Peak Forest Canal towpath & a 1 in 5 ascent to pass over a local hill for home. That last bit was a revelation. It's magic!

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
Quick update: bike is doing amazing.
The battery at 45.8v is getting ready for it's 3rd charge but am on nights all week so will wait until the weekend - charging before it's next use.

Sunday evening was spent alleviating some stress with a 12 mile loop taking in Peak Forest Canal towpath & a 1 in 5 ascent to pass over a local hill for home. That last bit was a revelation. It's magic!
Brilliant way to spend an evening. And the light was amazing late yesterday afternoon/early evening with that whole summer-into-autumn soft focus thing going on. And you're spot on - hills suddenly become way more interesting when your electric stoker does the hard work :D.

I got out for a shakedown ride last night and I decided to let the motor do the work. Tried some of the hills that normally have me puffing like a knackered train when I'm loaded up and it was like stepping into an alternate reality; pick the right gear, crank up the assistance and sit back and enjoy the view.