First e-bike Raleigh or Carrera

Qbol

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2020
Hi all, I’m new to the forum and to the electric bike market. I’ve decided to go for Raleigh Array E Motion Crossbar 2020 or Carrera Crossfire. As for Carrera I’ve found a lot of reviews online but can’t find any for Raleigh 2020. Can anyone help me with the choice? Thanks

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Personally I would not touch the Crossfire with a barge pole, I would be more inclined at that price to go for a Wisper, Woosh or Juicy all well regarded on this site , but each to their own.

Qbol

Sep 7, 2020
So is Raleigh not a good choice either? My budget is up to £1500 and Raleigh fits nicely in it.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
The current crossfire is better than the previous model. It now has a complete Suntour powertrain with no mixing and matching of components and appears more reliable. Battery capacity is decent too. Whether its a nice bike to ride dynamically is another matter. Not my cup of tea to ride, but that is much a taste thing as anything else.

Carrera ebikes have a bad rep on these pages, some of it perhaps deserved, much of it definitely not. However, Halfords modestly claim they have sold more Carrera ebikes in the UK than every other brand combined. Nevetheless, if you go back through the pages of this forum looking and threads from people that are having problems the majority will be from other makes, despite these other makes being far, far less common, which is rather counter to the supposed wisdom that some commentators trot out. Go back through these pages and see that for yourself, rahter than listen to mere opinion.

Leaving aside it doesn't suit my riding style, I would have no qualms with the Crossfire. I recently apent some time with the 2020 Subway Electric and thoroughly enjoyed it so is worthy of consideration, although that has a lesser battery capacity so assisted range will be less in comparison.

Alas, I have no experience of the Raleigh so can not advise.

Qbol

Sep 7, 2020
Thx, I know a lot about Crossfire from the reviews, any thoughts about Raleigh E Motion 2020?

Qbol

Sep 7, 2020
Following your advice I’ve checked the Juicy Bike Montana for £1500, looks nice. My only concern is the torque which is 45nm. My weight is around 90kg, would it be enough?

Reactions: gsm.terra

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
I would strongly advise you to consider a lot more options as has already been suggested. I test rode at least 30 bikes before making my final decision. Until you ride the various bikes and motor systems you won't know what YOU like.
There is some fantastic advise from incredibly knowledgeable people on the forum but you will also find opinions based on nothing more than personal prejudice.
Read reviews but remember only 10% of happy purchasers will bother to write a review while at least 75% of unhappy purchasers will write one.
Good luck deciding.

Reactions: TedG and Qbol

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Following your advice I’ve checked the Juicy Bike Montana for £1500, looks nice. My only concern is the torque which is 45nm. My weight is around 90kg, would it be enough?
I’m just over 14 stone at the moment thanks to lockdown! my hub motor is rated 42nm and it carries me up hills with no problems at all! Overall for £999 my bike is excellent value and even though I’ve been having “grass is greener” vibes looking at some of the bikes mentioned on this forum, I’m glad I chose it.

Reactions: Qbol

Qbol

Sep 7, 2020
Thanks guys for your help.
So, the more I read the more lost I feel... Buying a car was easier... I’ve decided to go for Raleigh Array 2020 from Evans Cycles. Raleigh is a well known company so hopefuly I won’t regret it. Anyway, I can always return it if I don’t like it

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and gsm.terra

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
So, the more I read the more lost I feel... Buying a car was easier... I’ve decided to go for Raleigh Array 2020 from Evans Cycles. Raleigh is a well known company so hopefuly I won’t regret it. Anyway, I can always return it if I don’t like it
Good choice my friend, I have fun pedelecing!

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I had an Array and it was great - except for a problem that they have now fixed - but it was massively better than my previous ebike, which I had had for 10 years.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Actually, you might want to read this first

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I have a few classic Raleigh bikes but nowadays its a brand of Accell of the Netherlands and they slap the brand on some pretty cheap imports and charge a lot for them. It's not so much they are bad bikes they get the job done but you are paying a premium for a recognised brand. The factories they use are fairly low end, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Thailand etc. The sort of factories that many budget brands use like Apollo at Halfords or many models at Argos. Obviously it depends on actual model but I don't think it would be unfair to say you can pay a 30-50% premium to get the Raleigh brand on a bike. The example of the charger cost shows the opportunist approach to pricing, what the market will bear rather than what price would be fair.

It goes without saying that there is little connection with the UK for that brand nowadays, the company is dutch owned, the bikes are all made in the far east and they aren't really even designed in the UK you often see the same bikes under multiple brands probably fully designed by the actual manufacturer with Raleigh just choosing the components and frame colours.

There are many UK importers who provide better value and customer service so if you are going with Raleigh because of its past UK connections I would say its the wrong choice. Still love the classic Raleigh bikes though. It's like when you see a Blaupunkt radio in Sainsburys, once a German brand of fantastic quality and now just low end Shenzhen electronics with a badge slap. Still does the job though admittedly.

Reactions: gsm.terra

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
I have a few classic Raleigh bikes but nowadays its a brand of Accell of the Netherlands and they slap the brand on some pretty cheap imports and charge a lot for them. It's not so much they are bad bikes they get the job done but you are paying a premium for a recognised brand. The factories they use are fairly low end, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Thailand etc. The sort of factories that many budget brands use like Apollo at Halfords or many models at Argos. Obviously it depends on actual model but I don't think it would be unfair to say you can pay a 30-50% premium to get the Raleigh brand on a bike. The example of the charger cost shows the opportunist approach to pricing, what the market will bear rather than what price would be fair.

It goes without saying that there is little connection with the UK for that brand nowadays, the company is dutch owned, the bikes are all made in the far east and they aren't really even designed in the UK you often see the same bikes under multiple brands probably fully designed by the actual manufacturer with Raleigh just choosing the components and frame colours.

There are many UK importers who provide better value and customer service so if you are going with Raleigh because of its past UK connections I would say its the wrong choice. Still love the classic Raleigh bikes though. It's like when you see a Blaupunkt radio in Sainsburys, once a German brand of fantastic quality and now just low end Shenzhen electronics with a badge slap. Still does the job though admittedly.
I absolutely agree about the price for a charger being ridiculous but to suggest that Raleigh bikes are just cheap imported frames re-branded as Raleigh is equally ridiculous. Many of the cheap created brands are just as you describe but Accell don't play in that market. The issues with the Array were created by the Suntour battery & charger just as Kalkhoff got a bad name because of the Daum Impulse motor but it's the bike brand that people remember.
PS I own a Raleigh Pioneer but it dates from 1998 so by then it was part of the German group Derby Cycles.

Reactions: TedG