Riding in the rain

leedsuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 7, 2020
Hi, what are your thoughts on using your ebike kit in the rain, I have asked yosepower if the kit can be used in the rain and was told the controller lcd and motor are not waterproof :( considering the weather in the UK that means its pretty useless.

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
I have a Raleigh Motus tour since April. changed my life, I go out in all weathers and have actually enjoyed rainy weather...less dog walkers, noticable lack of the lycra gang straining toward a PB.... have the cycle tracks to myself.....I wear a modern italian poncho....formerly in my newspaper round days 50 yrs ago called a cape... they fell out of fashion because of wind resistance...Hey on an Ebike that doesn't matter and adds to pleasure of going out in all weathers, knowing you are "bullet proof"against the elements

Reactions: Grebacwhite

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, what are your thoughts on using your ebike kit in the rain, I have asked yosepower if the kit can be used in the rain and was told the controller lcd and motor are not waterproof :( considering the weather in the UK that means its pretty useless.
You'll be fine as long as you have the motor cable going down and you don't leave your bike out in the rain when not riding it. weak areas of any bike, including Raleigh Motus, is the LCD. It's always worth covering it with a plastic bag or similar in the rain. Also, some throttles are not very waterproof, so try to keep heavy rain off them too.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: stevel and sjpt

leedsuk

Oct 7, 2020
You'll be fine as long as you have the motor cable going down and you don't leave your bike out in the rain when not riding it. weak areas of any bike, including Raleigh Motus, is the LCD. It's always worth covering it with a plastic bag or similar in the rain. Also, some throttles are not very waterproof, so try to keep heavy rain off them too.
Cheers thanks for the advise, I might Even clingfilm it.

leedsuk

Oct 7, 2020
I have a Raleigh Motus tour since April. changed my life, I go out in all weathers and have actually enjoyed rainy weather...less dog walkers, noticable lack of the lycra gang straining toward a PB.... have the cycle tracks to myself.....I wear a modern italian poncho....formerly in my newspaper round days 50 yrs ago called a cape... they fell out of fashion because of wind resistance...Hey on an Ebike that doesn't matter and adds to pleasure of going out in all weathers, knowing you are "bullet proof"against the elements
Thanks, the cape is a good idea.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks, the cape is a good idea.
A cape is the best thing for riding an electric bike in the rain. Not only does it keep you dry, but it also keeps the rain off all your electrics. When you stop, you can use the cape as a bike cover. Win, win, win!

Reactions: brindledog

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
A cape is the best thing for riding an electric bike in the rain. Not only does it keep you dry, but it also keeps the rain off all your electrics. When you stop, you can use the cape as a bike cover. Win, win, win!
Any particular brand or type recommended? I guess ones that cover the e handlebars obscure front lights and make it hard to see your speed, gear, rear view mirror etc?!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Any particular brand or type recommended? I guess ones that cover the e handlebars obscure front lights and make it hard to see your speed, gear, rear view mirror etc?!
I bought mine in a supermarket in China. Important features are internal hoops for your thumbs so you can hold it on your handlebars, and a hood.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have ridden my electric bikes in all weathers including torrential rain on occasion as they are my ride to work and back transport.

They are though stored at home in a garage and at work also inside while I work my shift.

I ride to work for the fun and exercise and do also have a car and look at the weather online and if it is forecast to cane it down take the car. This obviously happens more often in the Winter.

The bike I ride off road is a 2015 crank drive Yamaha Haibike and the rear hub bikes that I ride on the road are a brace of old Oxygen Emate 2011 rear hub bikes both with a throttle.

So all my bikes have managed to cope with being ridden in heavy rain on occasion but are all then left out of the elements when I reach my destinations.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This has to be the answer, surely? Could be interesting with a decent tailwind :oops:
Cwah tried an umbrella thing of some sort. It was great until he turned a corner and the wind got behind it, whereupon it turned itself inside out and flew away. It was a really funny thread because we could all see it coming.

It's great to look back at these old threads to see our friends from the past. I miss Hech's dry sense of humour. I think he was the funniest guy we've had on the forum, especially when many many didn't get it; Funky Lynne too who got cancer not long after that and disappeared, so I guess she's looking down on us now: Baswaldo with his 25,000 mile Bearprint bike: Catsnapper, who used to make the spokes for us before he baggered off to Spain; Deleted Member 4366 was a smashing bloke whoever he was; TimidTom, who was always hiding, and the rest.

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
What a great idea! I used to have an oilskin cape in the 60s when cycling to school, haven't thought about them in years, but it was great in foul weather!