Missing Link vs Chain Link Tool - Which is safer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 33385
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 33385

I thought it best to change my chain, now that there is more force exerted on it by the motor. I bought a KMC chain, but I didn't check that the missing link was present, before taking off my old one... They hadn't delivered The Missing Link, I should have returned the chain but I was impatient, and decided to join the new chain link with a chain link tool, rather than order one of these newfangled "Missing Link" things, which didn't exist when I last replaced a chain in 1983 - that didn't work out too well back then - the chain broke as I was going uphill and I facebutted the road and I chipped a front tooth. Although my chain looks ok (I had to remove one half link to join the ends), I'm seriosuly considering getting another chain with a Missing Link... are Missing Links safer? Also, is there any way I can test the chain I have installed for strength, before going out on the road? I've tried pulling every link apart with those chain plier tools, but quite honestly I may just buy another chain to be on the safe side, with a Missing Link. It looks ok, but it also looked fine shortly before it broke causing a chipped tooth in 1983.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Go for missing link - guaranteed result.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
You can buy missing links individually, I’ve never had a problem with them.
here’s one of many sellers

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
For your peace of mind, I've been using KMC chains with a Missing Link for the last 8k miles (probably 5 chains). My BBS02 exerts a lot of torque on the chain and I've never had any problems.

I probably wouldn't reuse a Missing Link though, new link with every new chain.

D

Deleted member 33385

Thank you for your comments all. I've just ordered two missing links plus a KMC X8, which is supposedly formerly known as the X8.93, which is supposedly stretchproof. I'm attached to my teeth.

D

Deleted member 33385

A good tip is to buy a different colour missing link, the benefits care:
1. You can find it easier
2. It gives you a start and finishing point when oiling the chain.
That's a great tip! The likely highly defective link is now completely invisible, until it inevitably breaks in use, most probably costing me a tooth. They're a great idea, these newfangled knuckle dragging Missing Links!

D

Deleted member 33385

I just did 19.7 miles with this bungled installation of a chain and it slipped a lot to start with, which could have been down to a tight link, which I might have introduced with my bungled installation... but it seemed to hold even up the steepest hills ("Steep", in terms of English hills, not Scottish or Welsh, which is a whole other level of "Steep"). It could be slipping because it's a very old cassette. According to the formula, my chain should be 51 inches long... it might be slightly short because I didn't use a missing link and took a bit off to join using a chain link tool. I'll fit the new chain with missing link with a new cassette, to be safe.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
You can buy missing links individually, I’ve never had a problem with them.
here’s one of many sellers
It is true missing links need no tools to fit but a chain tool is probably necessary to remove the half link next to the broken one. It is not as if they weigh much.

D

Deleted member 33385

It is true missing links need no tools to fit but a chain tool is probably necessary to remove the half link next to the broken one. It is not as if they weigh much.
I always carry a chain tool (plus tiny chain pliers) in a very small (but rapidly growing) bike toolkit (a small one with a detachable handle) - taking them off with a chain remover tool is not as grim a prospect on the road, as putting one on properly using a chain tool - it's so easy to leave a tight or incomplete link/horror-situation developing on the bike. It's managed 19.7 miles (and counting) with the chain I put on the old fashioned way - I did my best to exert maximum pressure on hills, but that's no guarantee that it won't break prematurely and unexpectedly. I'll keep it or the new one on, with a spare chain and a couple of spare missing links handy in the bike tool bag.

Last edited: