Review Bafang BBS01b 250w DIY fitting - traps, pitfalls and review

D

Deleted member 33385

I recently fitted a brake some hydraulic brake cut off's with Sugru, it's very versatile stuff and perfect for something like this.
I thought about shoving a very thin sliver of blu-tac between the sensor and the frame, then securing with a very tight ziptie - but blu-tac would have melted in hot weather lol. I've used some thin double sided sticky tape and a ziptie for now and that seems to be working great... but now I'm curious about Sugru because I've never used it... seems to cure in air - might be worth a shot! Cheers!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sugru works but once opened needs using up or one can store in the fridge for a short while but ultimately will need binning. Gorilla 2 part epoxy I have found to be very good and dare I say better then araldite.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Sugru works but once opened needs using up or one can store in the fridge for a short while but ultimately will need binning. Gorilla 2 part epoxy I have found to be very good and dare I say better then araldite.
I've avoided anything branded "Gorilla" because it looked like marketing hype, but may try it now that you've said you've had good results with their epoxy. I wonder if Sugru would keep longer in vacuum food bags + fridge?

Last edited:

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Sugru comes in small sachet's so one wastes very little. When I attached the brake sensor I also moulded some around the inlet and outlet of the gear sensor too as a precaution against water/dirt ingress. The advantage over epoxy is that it you can mould it into whatever shape you desire and it will then hold that shape.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Gorilla stuff is pretty damn good the hype is for good reason.

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
One of the Revbecca vids shows her installing brake sensors using jb weld. I've ordered a pack off the bay for a fiver as I've heard good thing about it over the years, but never actually tried it.

D

Deleted member 33385

When I attached the brake sensor I also moulded some around the inlet and outlet of the gear sensor too as a precaution against water/dirt ingress.

Epoxy of some sort is the only way to be sure - when I can stomach having to recalibrate the brakes all over again, I may use Sugru over the end connections and epoxy the little bugger down... Or some permutation of the two, ideally I'd like to to avoid marking the frame lacquer; mind you, it's an old bike, so maybe I shouldn't worry so much about damaging the frame lacquer.

Last edited:

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
One of the Revbecca vids shows her installing brake sensors using jb weld. I've ordered a pack off the bay for a fiver as I've heard good thing about it over the years, but never actually tried it.
I have also used metal epoxy, same as JB weld I think, a few times and always carry some when on a motorcycle trip, very handy stuff. My ebike conversion has a "pad" of it between the Bafang motor and the downtube to help spread any load transmitted to the frame. Being solid it should prevent any slight movement unlike a rubber pad shown in some videos.

Another characteristic of Sugru is that it has some damping properties as it doesn't quite set rock solid unlike epoxy.

D

Deleted member 33385

I have also used metal epoxy, same as JB weld I think, a few times and always carry some when on a motorcycle trip, very handy stuff. My ebike conversion has a "pad" of it between the Bafang motor and the downtube to help spread any load transmitted to the frame.
That's a great idea!

DodgyTicker

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2020
I've got even more miles under my belt now and am really enjoying the kit. It had rejuvinated my love of cycling. Actually, I tell a lie, I never lost the love for it, just the ability to do it as well as I'd like.

Some interesting discussion going on above about the brake and gear sensors and what maigical goo to afix them with.

My view is that neither of these things are neccessary if you are careful on how you ride the bike. Using the settings linked to upthread and I believe the default 'pick up setting / delay' allows you enough time to change gear before the motor cuts in. You simple stop pedaling for a second and when you do immediatly carry out the gear change. I've practiced this a lot, even on steep up hills with great effect.

A few things I do need to address though;

1, Although I've got hydraulic disc brakes, they are both 160mm diameter discs, so I've ordered a spacer bracket and a 180mm diameter disc for the front.

2, Road grime splattage onto the motor. Despite having full mudguards, a lot of cack is being flicked up and splatting onto the motor. I've, you've guessed it, a mud flap has been ordered which should reduce this.

Still very pleased with the kit and would recommend getting one to anyone who has any doubt.

D

Deleted member 33385

Some interesting discussion going on above about the brake and gear sensors and what maigical goo to afix them with.

My view is that neither of these things are neccessary if you are careful on how you ride the bike.

I'm the most careless bike rider you have ever seen lol!

2, Road grime splattage onto the motor. Despite having full mudguards, a lot of cack is being flicked up and splatting onto the motor. I've, you've guessed it, a mud flap has been ordered which should reduce this.

I'm interested to know what sort of mud flap you've ordered to protect the motor from splattage of cack. I suppose I could extend my front mudflap with Sugru...

Reactions: DodgyTicker

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Yes, my ebike conversion has also got me back into cycling too, it is a great match for hilly West Wales.

I must admit I didn't fit hydraulic brake sensors for over a year, the brakes were fine and easily able to overcome the momentary drive after stopping peddling. However, I was finding that when doing slow tricky manoeuvres, especially off road, that being able to just brush a brake lever to cut power for a second or too would be handy, so fitted one sensor to the rear brake. It is set so the lightest touch of the lever cuts power without applying the brake, the only down side is if undergrowth brushes against the lever....but I can live with that.

DodgyTicker

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2020
I'm interested to know what sort of mud flap you've ordered to protect the motor from splattage of cack. I suppose I could extend my front mudflap with Sugru...
The anti cack splattage device I have ordered is a "Bibia Spatflap Touring", I kid you not, that is what it is called. £4.25 on Amazon.

Yes, my ebike conversion has also got me back into cycling too, it is a great match for hilly West Wales.

I must admit I didn't fit hydraulic brake sensors for over a year, the brakes were fine and easily able to overcome the momentary drive after stopping peddling. However, I was finding that when doing slow tricky manoeuvres, especially off road, that being able to just brush a brake lever to cut power for a second or too would be handy, so fitted one sensor to the rear brake. It is set so the lightest touch of the lever cuts power without applying the brake, the only down side is if undergrowth brushes against the lever....but I can live with that.
Interesting, I'm not ruling out fitting them but at the moment I don't think I need them.

I've got the 'kill switch' to fit and try out first though, but again, I don't think it is needed.

Another thing, a TRAP is...

Where do I fit a water bottle now? I used to carry two 1ltr bottles but there is no room now inside the triangle, the handlebar area is also a nope, too much going on there, saddle mounted a possible nope as well due to my rackbag.

I think I'll simply ditch the leaky waterbottle(s) altogether and get something I can put in the rack back / panier(s)

D

Deleted member 33385

The anti cack splattage device I have ordered is a "Bibia Spatflap Touring", I kid you not, that is what it is called. £4.25 on Amazon.

Another thing, a TRAP is...

Where do I fit a water bottle now?

That's one heck of a flap! I've bookedmarked it for when the splattage becomes unbearable...

That's why I put my battery on the pannier - I wouldn't have been able to fit mine centrally anyway because it'd be too wide when my bike was folded. It rides fine up hills, doesn't rock back... but my bike's center of gravity is low. Incidentally, what screws is usual for the water bottles anyway? Are they M5? There are nylon lugs in the holes on my frame for the water cage.

Last edited:

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021

I like that idea with the single rear brake, also leaves me a spare connection for the gear interruptor, if I ever decide to fit one without resorting to a Y-lead

D

Deleted member 33385

I like that idea with the single rear brake, also leaves me a spare connection for the gear interruptor, if I ever decide to fit one without resorting to a Y-lead

Perhaps a momentary kill switch on the handlebar, or an easily reachable very small waterproof one epoxied to a brake lever, might be worth installing...

Reactions: Trickyh

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
To fit the gear sensor, get a complete new gear cable wit inner an outer, then you can run the cable where you want and install the gear sensor wherever you want. You often have to do that anyway to get the cables away from the BB.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS