Help! What is the blue button???

Leannelle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2021
Hello everyone, I’m new here and am about to spontaneously combust. I’ve just bought my first ebike ever, and my first any kind of bike for at least 20 years.

I’ve managed to put it together and it definitely resembles a bike. However, on the right hand handlebar, just below the Shimano gears lever, is a blue button with a ‘+’ sign on it.

I’ve trawled the internet and read every word of the instruction manual, and watched loads of YouTube videos - but nothing tells me what this blue button does and when I might need to use it.

I’m sure it’s one of things that everyone knows...but please tell me. Thank you

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like Shimano electronic gear changing though could be wrong, we do need more to go on like a link to the actual bike.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

Leannelle

Jan 18, 2021
Looks like sl tx30 tourney shifters. The blue button is for up shifting the gears
So does that move the lever as well? If not, how do I change down again? Sorry if I’m sounding think...but where bikes are concerned - I am!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Non electronic up shifter it is then, thought it might have been a really exp bike with electronic DI2 shifting.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
So does that move the lever as well? If not, how do I change down again? Sorry if I’m sounding think...but where bikes are concerned - I am!
Yes. The lever downshifts. The button up shifts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not seen or used that set up but looks like push the blue for up and the lever for down.

Leannelle

Jan 18, 2021
Brilliant! Thanks so much for your replies. I didn’t go expensive as it, and me, are more than likely to end up horizontal

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Let us know how the shifting goes, certainly I've not used that type of shifter so feed back is always good.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You must only pull the lever one way. use the button to send it back one gear at a time. You'll break it if you try to push the lever both ways.

Reactions: Leannelle

Leannelle

Jan 18, 2021
I will come back and let you know how I get on. So far I’ve only ridden it up and down the car park in first gear. When I put the assist on - just level one, I felt like I was in a catapult and braked quite harshly. This continued down the car park. A jerky start, but hopefully I will progress to 2nd gear soon...

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Looks a very good machine for the money and as previously stated the blue button is pressed to go down the gears .

Leannelle

Jan 18, 2021
So I said I would come back and let you know how I get on with these gears.

I took it out of the car and the chain had fallen off! As I’m a complete novice and definitely not mechanically minded, I thought my ride was over before it had started. But I did manage to get it back on. I’m wondering if I accidentally changed gear while fighting it into or out of my car.

I didn’t switch the battery on at first. Changing up the gears with the blue button was really smooth, but coming back down was clunky and raspy. I had to jiggle the lever to just past the gear number to get it to go in properly. Not sure if I’ve caused some damage already. I then put the electric assist on and it tried to catapult me through a fence. So I came home, like a sulky teenager.

Really hoping I get to grips with this. I’ve got a motorbike licence, yet am struggling with an electric bike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The down change may need the derailleur stops adjusting so the gears aren't clunky, it's likely they weren't set up properly in the first place.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It sounds like the motor control system is speed control. They do tend to be a bit sudden and will give full power up to a given speed. My advice, find yourself a nice straight, quiet path or country lane so you've got plenty of room. Tell yourself that there is going to be a kick when the power comes on, so you're prepared for it. Select the lowest pas setting and sat off. If it all gets a bit much, slightly pull a brake lever, not enough to put the brake on but enough to activate the motor cut out.
Like any power tool, you have to be prepared for how it will react and behave, you'll soon get it. You're only problem then will be how to wipe the e bike grin off your face:D

Reactions: Leannelle

WavyDavy

Apr 7, 2019
You are unlikely to have damaged anything. It sounds like the gear cable tension just needs a little tweak. From new the cable can settle and/or stretch and throw the gear selection slightly off especially in down changes. Like any new bike or motorbike it takes a little time to got used to and understand its foibles.