Help! My Toba Beatbike stepthrough, about 3 years old, and the seat tube has developed a crack

Rog

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2020
The crack is right at the bottom end of the seat tube, just above the weld where the seat tube connects to the motor housing - you can see it just below the white tape. Even if the motor and the battery mount were removed, I suspect it would be difficult to weld the tube back to full strength, but does anyone have any suggestions, please?
Pity, the bike itself is great, with no battery or motor problems at all, such a shame to have to think of selling it for spares or breaking it up

Attachments

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Source a good Welder to grind out the crack and put a gusset between the seat tube and the horizontal tube . Steel would be easier to fix than Aluminium though .

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That looks pretty well terminal. The only thing I can suggest is to drop the motor out, cut a but of tube off a spare seatpin and epoxy it inside . It's a weird place to break because I wouldn't have expected there to be the sort off stresses that would cause it. I can't see that it would be much of a problem if the crack completely detaches the tube, which it probably already has.

Rog

Sep 5, 2020
That looks pretty well terminal. The only thing I can suggest is to drop the motor out, cut a but of tube off a spare seatpin and epoxy it inside . It's a weird place to break because I wouldn't have expected there to be the sort off stresses that would cause it. I can't see that it would be much of a problem if the crack completely detaches the tube, which it probably already has.
I’m 6’4” and about 105 kgs, and it is a stepthrough frame, so perhaps it was too much stress - a diamond frame is perhaps a bit stronger.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Although the electronics of the bike are out of warranty speak with the dealer as often the frame it self may have a 5 or 10 year warranty, if the bike was supplied by 50c then you are out.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
it is a stepthrough frame, so perhaps it was too much stress - a diamond frame is perhaps a bit stronger.
Ok, that's different. I assumed it was a crossbar type. I can now understand how it cracked. In that case you can't use the epoxy tube repair. You'd have to strip it down and get it properly welded unless you can get a new frame from somewhere. frames are usually guaranteed for a long time, but if you got it from 50cycles, you're out.

Rog

Sep 5, 2020
Although the electronics of the bike are out of warranty speak with the dealer as often the frame it self may have a 5 or 10 year warranty, if the bike was supplied by 50c then you are out.
It was indeed 50c, I’m afraid! But thanks for all of your replies, anyway - I find your forums and threads very interesting, and very informative. Pity I didn’t find Pedelecs three years ago!

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Is the Toba Beat a unique 50 Cycles brand, as it is the brand holder that would warranty the bike, as opposed to the seller?
So if they were merely a seller, there could be a warranty with the brand holder. My similar bike the Kalkhoff has a 10 year warranty on the frame.

Last edited:

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
If you can't find a welder would a good metal hard setting putty be worth a try?
Plenty of it pressed well in and all around to reinforce the joint?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
If you can't find a welder would a good metal hard setting putty be worth a try?
Plenty of it pressed well in and all around to reinforce the joint?
Sadly IMO it would stand no chance, and sadly even if a welding repair was made it would be short lived unless the frame was re stress relieved, all getting expensive because of the collateral work needed.
If what we read here is borne out, there will be many good Kalkhoff Agattu step through bikes, with shot drives, of a similar vintage to take your Impulse drive.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Being a retired welder I would say it's terminal and certainly don't think about repair putty

Rog

Sep 5, 2020
Thanks all, I think Gliggsy may be right, so I think I’ll try an advert on here as “spares or repair”, someone out there may be wanting to replace their Impulse motor, battery, forks, wheels or Nexus 7 hub - worth a try, anyway, thanks again for all of your advice and comments
Just acquired a secondhand (350 miles) Gazelle Chamonix with 500wh battery, very different but a very smooth ride!

Rog

Sep 5, 2020
Is the Toba Beat a unique 50 Cycles brand, as it is the brand holder that would warranty the bike, as opposed to the seller?
So if they were merely a seller, there could be a warranty with the brand holder. My similar bike the Kalkhoff has a 10 year warranty on the frame.
Yes, it is a 50c brand, but the handbook refers to a frame warranty for Kalkhoff or Raleigh brand frames only!

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Just acquired a secondhand (350 miles) Gazelle Chamonix with 500wh battery, very different but a very smooth ride!
That's the STEPS drive?
When you have acquired some user experience would you please detail a comparison of the two bikes, in particular relating to the "feel" of the drives, thanks.

Anchorman

Just Joined
Feb 1, 2020
Hi Rog
My Kalkhoff Tasman crossbar frame snapped in exactly the same place as yours, at the bottom of the seat tube just before the weld,after 9,500 miles. it happened when the bike was 30 months old. Took it back to 50c and they replaced it free of charge with a Toba crossbar frame. Took ages for Kalkhoff to send it but after 6 weeks I was cycling again. I was told that there was a 10 year warranty on the Toba frame. When the motor failed after 3 years 11,500 miles I took it to Leisure Lakes at Breeston for a new one to be fitted £430. They took my new frame number and it was on file with Kalkhoff so it might have a warranty as well. Take it to a shop that sells Kalhoff ebikes and see if your Toba frame is registered with Kalkhoff as I believe Toba is still made by Kalkhoff. Hope this helps
Dave from Derby

• Useful
Reactions: D C and Nealh

Rog

Sep 5, 2020
Hi Rog
My Kalkhoff Tasman crossbar frame snapped in exactly the same place as yours, at the bottom of the seat tube just before the weld,after 9,500 miles. it happened when the bike was 30 months old. Took it back to 50c and they replaced it free of charge with a Toba crossbar frame. Took ages for Kalkhoff to send it but after 6 weeks I was cycling again. I was told that there was a 10 year warranty on the Toba frame. When the motor failed after 3 years 11,500 miles I took it to Leisure Lakes at Breeston for a new one to be fitted £430. They took my new frame number and it was on file with Kalkhoff so it might have a warranty as well. Take it to a shop that sells Kalhoff ebikes and see if your Toba frame is registered with Kalkhoff as I believe Toba is still made by Kalkhoff. Hope this helps
Dave from Derby
Thanks, Anchorman, I’ll give that a go, but 50c do not sell Kalkhoff now, but I’ll check with them first, and then try Leisure Lakes ( when covid permits) as I live halfway between Breaston and Loughborough.

Rog

Sep 5, 2020
That's the STEPS drive?
When you have acquired some user experience would you please detail a comparison of the two bikes, in particular relating to the "feel" of the drives, thanks.
That's the STEPS drive?
Hi, Oscid, no, it has the Bosch motor, but I’ll happily update you when I have a few miles on it under my belt
Rog

Reactions: Ocsid