KT48ZWSRM-HY02L - characteristics?

Chees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2020
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a kit (rear hub) that includes this controller: KT48ZWSRM-HY02L

But trying to find out more about this controller. The seller claims it is a sine-wave controller but I noticed on some other online resources that ZWSRM are square wave, while SVPRD are sine wave. However, I couldn't find a canonical source on this so thought to ask here.

Also interested to hear whether I should care whether it's a sine/square wave at all.

I'm also interested to know whether this motor controller supports imitation torque mode, and also haven't been able to find that out (though the seller says it doesn't, there's already enough doubt that I want to check this independently).

Thanks in advance!
Cheesun

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
ZWS after the KT24,36 or 48 etc, means it is a square wave controller.
SVP after the KT v type means it is a sine wave controller.
Confirmed by checking motor wire connectors.
The other other figures/numerals are gibberish but will relate to Julet or SM connectors and programming/software as well as other connectors used. Some have speed wire, lights output or cruise control feature.

KT make both types and use imitation torque or better known as current control for power though in the settings you can change this to Speed control if preferred.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The pic of the motor extension wire looks like 3 pin and would back up the ZWS code as square wave.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
If you are new to ebikes you'll not really notice any difference... I feel I get a smoother ride from sinewave and a mile or 2 better efficiency but that's highly speculative, it seems to hold more watts at continuous operating amps say 8a at 15(ish) mph compared with square wave IMO.

Chees

Dec 22, 2020
The seller also gave me this direct link to their site, which also doesn't provide any info on the controller. https://green-pedal.co.uk/products/bundlekit

I'm interested in current control (imitation torque) exactly because of your recommendations in another thread of mine @vfr400 and @Nealh. Is it safe to assume then that current control will be available simply because it's a KT controller?

@PC2017 interesting to hear your thoughts on whether sine/square is important to care about. I previously rode a bosch mid-motor and my wife's rear hub apparently is sine-wave (has 9 pins) from promovec.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All KT are by default current control/imitation torque, as and vfr & I have before you can have speed control by changing P3 parameter.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017 and Chees

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
apparently is sine-wave
I don't know not much about mid drives, but a quick google indicates Bosch are mainly square, to understand sine or square it's best to do a little research yourself. You can use a sine or a square on a 9 pin motor... It's maybe a good idea to buy one of each controller types even if you can't tell the difference it's always nice to have a spare!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
9 fet KT's are available in both flavours, I have a 22a & 25a 9 fet in sinewave.
One has to know what to look for before committing to buying.

The chance of a kit being supplied with a 9 fet Sq wave/unsensored is more likely though as they may be a bit cheaper.

Chees

Dec 22, 2020
I'm currently considering just going ahead with the square wave, but to preserve options for the future, it sounds like I should confirm whether the motor is 3pin (as @Nealh observed in the picture) or 9pin (given that the picture might be wrong).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the controller is square wave so the hub be unsensored (3 pin) , like wise if the hub was sensored (9 pin) the controller would be sine wave.
Providing a kit with sensored hub and sq wave controller makes no sense.

Chees

Dec 22, 2020
They've told me that the motor is Bafang G020.500.DC which when I look it up (https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000837488519.html) appears to have 9 pins. They also claim I could change for a sine-wave controller later but that they don't stock it. However, given that the controller turned out to be the exact opposite of what they originally said (square wave, with current control) rather than (sine wave, without current control), I'm not sure I should trust their claims.

I suppose that square wave controllers can also make use of the sensors to get the timing right even if they are producing a square wave?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Square wave controller cannot make use of sensors, there is no software/components in /on the pcb to allow this.
Bafang hubs like KT controllers are either 3 or 9 pin, please listen. The controller is square wave, the motor connector is 3 pin so hub is unsensored. Nothing wrong with it just will be a bit more nosier in use, One can't turn or make a unsensored hub run as sensored.

• Disagree
Reactions: PC2017

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like a company selling stuff they know little about or understand.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I have to disagree about all square wave controllers being sensorless. I can find all kinds of square wave controllers on ebay (USA) with Hall connectprs. I understand PSWpower only shows sensorless square wave boxes with torque simulation. Yes, I agree anything with only three motor wires is sensorless. I have a BSMbattery P06 that is sensorless.

In 2017, I built two Q100H bikes using the KT36/48ZWSRD-SL02G 20A controller and also the KT36/48SVPRD 20A controller, square and sine wave, Both featured Hall connectors. I have verified that the square wave model won't run if I break the Hall Sensor connections. It throws an Error 03 which is a Hall Sensor problem.

I also have a KT36ZWSR-LCD from 2016 that is square wave, and sensored.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
It's a 9 pin anyway

The controller is square wave, the motor connector is 3 pin so hub is unsensored
How come my square wave controller has a 9 Pin connector??

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some controller can be dual mode , all the ones I have bought are one or the other.

• Informative