Alternatives to flipping PAS disc?

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
Morning all. I recently had the bottom bracket replaced, but the shop just handed me the PAS disc with a shrug and told me i doesn’t fit any more, as they had fitted a modern replacement. There’s a long story there but what I’ve done is carefully shape the disc to fit to the drive side and glue it on. Backwards, it turns out, as the motor now only comes on pedalling backwards. Flipping the disc isn’t really an option - a thread here suggests I can rotate the sensor but I can’t figure out which way...
6495DF1F-08CB-4368-A8B1-8C8BA557021F.jpeg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Remove the sensor from its bracket. Drill the holes in a mirror of how they were and refit the sensor 180deg rotated so that the magnets pass in the opposite direction.

Whenever fitting a pedal sensor, always test it before putting the crank back on. It'll save a lot of work.

Reactions: harrys

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
Thanks (again) vfr - so I’m drilling holes to mount it back onto the bracket and rotate it like image.jpg this? There’s also a red led, can I just ignore it?

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
I’m looking...but inverting the sensor means I can’t position it close enough to ‘reach’ the magnets, and the sensor bracket is already as close to them as the frame allows. There is no problem taking the cranks off - it’s just that the magnet disc has been glued to the chainring so it can’t be flipped! You can see where I have put it in the pics with the sensor below. I’m beginning to think I may have to prise it off though...
I don’t suppose there is some magical setting on the Lishui screen that allows for changing sides?

Attachments

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I don't think you have space to rotate the sensor 180*, some older sensors are on a flat metal bracket and can be flipped by just undoing the locating screw.
Which controller do you have? I think the sensor on some can be programmed to work in reverse which would fix your problem.

Last edited:

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
It’s the same Lishui as you had Scorpio, that came with the Yose kit. You flipped the magnet disc when you fitted it to the drive side I assume? Like a wise person would?

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
Darn. It didn’t. I saved the setting to ‘back direction’, but whereas before the LED lit up and the motor came on (forwards) when pedalling backwards, now the light still only comes on when pedalling backwards, but there is no power in either direction. I feel I’m close...It’s really frustrating!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One should have checked the disc orientation before gluing it on, can you not warm up the glue to remove the disc to flip it or try pressing out the magnets and rotate their orientation.

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
One should have checked the disc orientation before gluing it on, can you not warm up the glue to remove the disc to flip it or try pressing out the magnets and rotate their orientation.
Oh I know that now. Hindsight is 20/20! Hmmm, I’ll try and see it the magnets will come out. Thanks for the idea. I can always glue them back in (I’m good with glue!)
I wonder why changing the setting didn’t work?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The best option will be to try and unglue the disc and flip it or bash it off clean up the chain ring surface and fit a new disc (having check orientation).

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
A bit of heat helped get the disc off the chainring unharmed, so a bit more whittling so it fits the proper way around and I’m good. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really appreciate this site. Is there a rapid (ie not Chinese) source of magnet discs so I have a spare?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A bit of heat helped get the disc off the chainring unharmed, so a bit more whittling so it fits the proper way around and I’m good. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really appreciate this site. Is there a rapid (ie not Chinese) source of magnet discs so I have a spare?
Ebay

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
It’s the same Lishui as you had Scorpio, that came with the Yose kit. You flipped the magnet disc when you fitted it to the drive side I assume? Like a wise person would?
Thanks for assuming I'm a wise person, wrong in this case as I tried reversing the disc and it made no difference so I removed the (old style) PAS sensor from it's bracket, flipped the sensor 180*, then spliced the old sensor wires to the "waterproof KT" harness. It's not the sensible or easy option but it works :D

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
I do make myself laugh sometimes. I bit the bullet yesterday and reversed the disc. Really made a nice job of it too. Waited 16hrs for the glue to dry and voila! As Scorpio points out above, it still only works pedalling backwards. So, with no room to invert the sensor I guess I need to try what he did. Bit nervous - I’m a builder and happier with a cement mixer than a soldering iron. Do you have photos?

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
I looked at those photos before but couldn’t see the sensor! I understand now that there are sensors on rings, which I can see could be flipped - or completely butchered !-) - whereas our type can’t. The comments from the guys above now make sense too. I’ll get one sent out and see what I can do. I still don’t get why changing the direction setting on the display didn’t work though. That would have been nice.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I looked at those photos before but couldn’t see the sensor! I understand now that there are sensors on rings, which I can see could be flipped - or completely butchered !-) - whereas our type can’t. The comments from the guys above now make sense too. I’ll get one sent out and see what I can do. I still don’t get why changing the direction setting on the display didn’t work though. That would have been nice.
It only works on the cheapo single hall type. Those type of sensors work simply and reliably. I can't understand what the advantage in dual sensors is. They only bring compatibility problems