First build battery advice pls

silver50

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2019
I’m waiting on a Bafang BBS02 750w arriving to go on a very nice condition Carrera Vulcan. I’m 15st and the bike is mainly for leisure riding on tarmac. I suspect I don’t need much more than 20 miles range at the very most.

I’m guessing head to likes of eBay to get a battery. I’d rather not spend as much as circa £400 but am I right I’d be best off getting a 17.5Ah 48V with branded cells? Seem to be around £400 maybe a little over.

Also, is it best to avoid 52V for overall reliability?

Many thanks for a bit of input.

Trickyh

Jan 16, 2021
I'm using a 13ah 48volt Haifeng battery on a 750watt bbs02 and easily get at least 20miles range out of it.

Tbh I don't know what its range limit is yet , but so far very pleased with the setup.

The way the controller is programmed , it gives me a short boost up to speed, then ticks over at 25-75watts. On the hills I can drop the cadence and get a nice boost or up the pas temporarily just to get me over the hill

This is on a full suss MTB on tarmac with mixed flat and long gentle hilly bits.

Last edited:

silver50

Mar 9, 2019
Thanks. That was my thought to save a bit on the battery (to go 13ah).

How do you make changes to the controller? I presume you don’t have to, but useful to tweak certain things? I’ve got a Bafang branded 961 display coming, can you make changes with it?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For tweaking one needs to download the free software and buy a decent £20 programming cable and not the cheaper £14/15 ones.

Trickyh

Jan 16, 2021
Thanks. That was my thought to save a bit on the battery (to go 13ah).

How do you make changes to the controller? I presume you don’t have to, but useful to tweak certain things? I’ve got a Bafang branded 961 display coming, can you make changes with it?
I think I was lucky as my kit was pre-programmed with a half decent set of parameters. I dont feel the need to go inside and fiddle ( if it ain't broke dont fix it) with things like keep current etc, but may do in the future. The main display can change basic things like imp/metric or 5/9 pas settings etc , but that's about it.

Nealh is right, apparently go for the more expensive cable. There are links to trusted vendors on here, if you search for them. My next purchase will probably be a gear saver, as I do feel a bit of mechanical sympathy for the rear derailleur if I need to change to a bigger cog when going up a hill and I can't take the power off.

I did my kit on the cheap (ish) as a test bed for my first foray into ebikes, and so far I have been very impressed with the results.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
This is the programming cable that forum members have purchased and recommended.
It even has the required programming software included:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Programming-Cable-for-Bafang-8Fun-BBS01-BBS02-or-BBSHD-Mid-Drive-Electric-Bikes/282891248569?hash=item41dda1e3b9:g:en0AAOSw9Rda~FwD

There are a few basic tweaks that can be done on the BBS02, that makes it so much more enjoyable to ride. My BBS02 out of the box, wasn't that great, but a few changes to the programming has changed its performance dramatically.

silver50

Mar 9, 2019
Thanks for the pointers.
Sorry for slow replies. I always tick the notifications box on this forum but don’t seem to get the notifications.