Help! Battery lock jammed

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
My Cube ebike battery is currently stuck on the bike because the release lock is jammed.

I've tried powdered graphite and GT-85 spray but no luck.

Any suggestions? If I drilled the lock out, would the battery still affix safely in the cradle?

Attachments

dalemanuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2017
uk
Had the same problem last year. I tried GT85 and all the other stuff but no luck
Eventually I washed out the lock with brake cleaner, dried it with an airline and then just kept working the key in it whilst tapping it gently with a hammer. It gave in eventually and opened. Plenty of bump key videos on youtube to give you ideas

I dismantled it afterwards but couldn't really see anything wrong but I chucked it anyway and got a repalcement

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
When my Yamaha battery lock became difficult,probably after getting some grit in, my bike shop suggested laying the bike on it side and dribbling a good general oil like the old 3 in 1 oil generously into the lock and then leaving it like that for a while.

I actually used a different quality oil I had on the shelf, and was pleasantly surprised that this trick worked for me.

Reactions: Kizza and jokskot

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
Thanks for the replies. I took it to the local locksmith who spent half an hour trying to free the lock. Eventually had to drill it out, which took another 10 minutes! Nice chap, only charged me a fiver.

Looks like a replacement lock is about £20.

Reactions: RoadieRoger

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
When my Yamaha battery lock became difficult,probably after getting some grit in, my bike shop suggested laying the bike on it side and dribbling a good general oil like the old 3 in 1 oil generously into the lock and then leaving it like that for a while.

I actually used a different quality oil I had on the shelf, and was pleasantly surprised that this trick worked for me.
I probably should have tried this first. And I probably should've kept the lock more lubed over the last few years.