Am I doing the right thing ?

Ia15

Just Joined
Feb 19, 2021
Hi,
I currently cycle to work about 3 times per week 12 miles each way across South West London on a unpowered road bike and it takes approx 50 mins, under the cycle to work scheme i can get a reduced 2020 Giant road e 2 pro on sale for 2600.
I am hoping to cycle every day and avoid feeling quite as Knackered , would this be a decent choice for me, I average about 15.5 mph at the moment but struggle to ride more than 3 days and still be any use during the work day.
Many thanks

Reactions: atheo and Woosh

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Hi,
I currently cycle to work about 3 times per week 12 miles each way across South West London on a unpowered road bike and it takes approx 50 mins, under the cycle to work scheme i can get a reduced 2020 Giant road e 2 pro on sale for 2600.
I am hoping to cycle every day and avoid feeling quite as Knackered , would this be a decent choice for me, I average about 15.5 mph at the moment but struggle to ride more than 3 days and still be any use during the work day.
Many thanks

No idea about the bike itself. I have just had my 10 year old hybrid Giant Sedonna converted. I am 69 and just got back to cycling last May as something to do during lockdowns. I struggled on the hills here in S Wales hence conversion. I now happily do 30/35 mile trips three times a week only using assistance when really needed. I am sure you would see an immense difference but more experienced members will give you more detailed guidance

Reactions: Surf_Wonder

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
That bike would be fine. I am 66 years old and ride a 14 mile circuit 5 or 6 times a week depending on the rain. Had to adjust my brain to not overtake everyone else on a bicycle, like I did in my younger days, and just be happy in the fact 15 to 18 mph is a very achievable average speed regardless of inclines or headwinds. Enjoy.

Reactions: flecc

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
There was a guy some years back who posted in the speed pedelec section about commuting on an earlier Giant road e bike that he had de restricted and it sounded like it flew along, though obviously a bit naughty. Keep it legal and it should still go fast on even the slightest of downhill gradients, and then push you up the hills. Although that bike should easily do the round trip, I think lithium batteries perform better if topped back up to full at work, so I don't know how hard it is to remove and charge the battery. The bike is slightly less nickable with the battery removed.

Reactions: Muddyfox

Oldbiker007

Just Joined
Feb 20, 2021
Yes matey. I’m 68 and love cycling but was starting to struggle a little on the hills and longer rides of day 25-30 miles. I had my Orange 5 converted last October and it’s awesome. Doing 35-40 miles with over 3000 foot accent barely breaks sweat now. I feel confident I can continue to enjoy cycling, fresh air and lovely scenery for many years to come. Alan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
how about using your Cycle to Work voucher to get a kit for your bike?

Ia15

Just Joined
Feb 19, 2021
Hi Woosh ideally i would like to keep current bike as it is so i can ride with friends at weekend so that's the reason i wanted a dedicated e bike as commuter. Thanks