Chainsuck and one way to solve the problem

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I would guess that the majority of forum members may not even know what chainsuck is, or ever experienced this annoying phenomenon. Here is a link to explain what it is and the reasons why chainsuck may occur:

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/workbench-how-to-un-suck-your-chainsuck.1169608/

For those of you that have experienced it, I'll explain how I personally cured my bouts of chainsuck. My set-up is a BBS02 with a 42T Bling Ring chainring and 8 speed chain and cassette. All the drive-train is in good condition, with healthy teeth and chain. My particular chainsuck problem is caused by riding in really muddy conditions, as explained in the article above, see the paragraph;

3. A dirty (especially gritty) chain

There's very little clearance between the 42T Bling Ring teeth and the chainstay, so my chain usually gets stuck between the chainring teeth and chainstay. It only does this if the bike is really muddy, but can cut a ride short.

I searched out a solution to prevent this from occuring and settled on this neat little gadget that attaches to the mudguard mounting point, at the front of the rear wheel, between the chainstays:

Anti Chainsuck Device

I've posted some pictures, so members can see how it attaches. It's fairly adjustable, so you're not just limited to certain chainring sizes and bike frames. As long as you have the little bar that goes between the chainstays, then I can see no problem with this working on most bikes. Doesn't even need to be a Bafang BBSxx. Anyone that suffers from chainsuck, should consider fitting one of these.

Chain Device Underneath.jpg

Chain Device Side.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JPGiant

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Had the joy :rolleyes: of getting to test this device yesterday, whilst totally underestimating how utterly muddy the local tracks were. The bike was caked in thick, grinding paste type mud.

Whereas before, I would have certainly had to limp home with chainsuck issues, the bike ran on with no problem. I could see and hear every now and then, the chain trying to ride around my chainring, but the device prevented it from travelling too high and just knocked it back off the teeth.