New VAT rules for overseas sellers supplying goods to UK customers - Any experiences yet?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have a bosch bike just picked a random item but all of them say the same no uk postage.

if a uk bike shop needs to send back a motor or complete bike then what happens under warranty?

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
happens under warranty?
Only time will tell... I assume they'd would either pay the costs involved or get the customer to pay- either way I suspect the customer will end up bike-less for 3-4 weeks maybe more - not good

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
25. Shipping costs etc?
25a. Shipping costs?

The shipping and handling costs are a loss for us. These costs paid by you are counted by the tax authorities as income by the tax, and in addition to 21% VAT, we must pay approximately 37 - 50% income tax on them.

If Audiofriends sends by standard mail, please keep in mind that points are used in the Netherlands. Shipping outside the Netherlands up to 100 grams is 3 points, from 100 - 350 grams is 5 points. A letterbox package with 3 points currently costs 4.65 Euro shipping costs excluding VAT. On this previous link you can also see the rates to other countries.

In addition, there are handling costs, which go beyond packaging alone. We do not work with volunteers.

The payment costs for PayPal, for example, are also relatively low. For example, if an order of 30 Euro is placed, the customer must pay 0.35 + 3.5% = 1.40 Euro payment costs. Audiofriends must pay approximately 37 - 50% income tax on this 1.40 Euro in addition to 21% VAT.

Audiofriends also does not think it fair to let customers who do not use PayPal pay for customers who would like to use PayPal, etc.

Thank you for your understanding.

Audiofriends

25b. Delivery?

The dimensions of the cardboard letterbox package can be up to ± 25.5 x 3 x 36 cm. Please keep in mind that you choose an address that has a (frost-free) mail entrance where this package (Package is within international standards.)

25c. Postal delivery time?

At the moment (January 20, 2021) in any case, the postal companies in the Netherlands are overloaded, and probably also elsewhere in the world. This is due to the many online orders due to the corona virus, and the dropout of employees due to corona at, for example, the post itself, customs, postman, etc. Mail items sometimes want to end up at the wrong postal center, also because of the pressure.

You understand that this entails additional delay.

Due to Brexit, there are likely to be major delays to the United Kingdom. You should count on approximately 3 -5 weeks delivery time.

Delivery time to the USA / Canada can currently take up to 2 months.

Would you like to track the package? Then choose the track & trace option.

Audiofriends has no influence on the delivery time in any way, other than offering a correct postal package. Audiofriends is a webshop, we do not have our own delivery service.

25d. Country / area exclusions?

DE: Wir versenden nicht nach eine Packstation außerhalb der Niederlande.
EN: We do not ship to a packstation outside The Netherlands.
NL: Wij verzenden niet naar een pakstation buiten Nederland.

If your country is not in the list of countries / regions on our webshop, you can request this at info@audiofriends.nl.
We usually do not ship outside of Europe with exception of USA and Canada.

Audiofriends reserves the right in all cases not to ship (and to refund any payment).

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
id still have to pay customs duty!
You'd still have to pay full stop...I don't know about customs duty ebay should add VAT and the actual price is under £135- P&p is a bargain o_O

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well this postage lark is doing my fkn head in now as i need to send a 10kg mid rage speaker to Holland so i can get a mold made for the surrounds as needs the driver to get exact measurements.

the postage with insurance for £610 is £80-90 and ups wont even send anything!

i even spoke to the guy on the phone and he has the same problem but if i posted it to him he would be hit for the import duty of the item his end and same agin when i get it back its fkn madness.

the cheapest best option we came up with is he is doing a road trip over here when this cov crap goes away end of year or next year depending and will come to my house help me take them apart get whats needed then of to the lake district and then on to London.

all this **** because genelec wont sell the foam surrounds that cost pence to make because they want £400inc vat for a fkn recone kit that i dont need anyway!

a normal recone kit looks like this and is £20

after 15-20 years they all turn in to this.

D

Deleted member 33385

well this postage lark is doing my fkn head in now as i need to send a 10kg mid rage speaker to Holland so i can get a mold made for the surrounds as needs the driver to get exact measurements.

the postage with insurance for £610 is £80-90 and ups wont even send anything!

i even spoke to the guy on the phone and he has the same problem but if i posted it to him he would be hit for the import duty of the item his end and same agin when i get it back its fkn madness.

the cheapest best option we came up with is he is doing a road trip over here when this cov crap goes away end of year or next year depending and will come to my house help me take them apart get whats needed then of to the lake district and then on to London.

all this **** because genelec wont sell the foam surrounds that cost pence to make because they want £400inc vat for a fkn recone kit that i dont need anyway!

View attachment 40919

a normal recone kit looks like this and is £20

View attachment 40920
View attachment 40921

after 15-20 years they all turn in to this.
View attachment 40922

That's terrible, Soundwave - I've got antique speakers with surrounds in the same condition, but replacements for my ancients are easier to source than for those pro level Genelecs, which have to sound absolutely perfect. Isn't there somewhere else you can buy replacements? Frantic and prolonged Googling might turn up surrounds for whatever Genelecs those are for, liquidation stock/old new stock might be out there somewhere... And those are Genelecs! There must be a lot of people in the same situation, and that's a market, and where there's a market, sellers will become increasingly accessible (one would hope).

izy

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2020
i used aliexpress for a bunch of stuff including my first conversion kit (which is going well happily)
took its time to arrive.

glad i ordered it in november because now by default they adding 20% tax onto everything bought on their website by default for me glad i got most items i needed before it hit because its really adding up.

hopefully they ease it at some point because I use them alot

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i know 3 other ppl in the same position as me but mine are still usable atm but they will need to be changed i have spent weeks looking all over Europe and the usa no one has the correct size. a mold has to get made to sort this problem

genelec do not make the drivers but they wont tell you who makes them either they use phl audio for some bass drivers but thats all i can find and nothing on the other 2

every person i send a photo to say wtf is that as never seen a driver constructed like that and some of these ppl have been fixing drivers for 40 years.

his guy cant source the right surround either and that is new old stock it just goes brittle over time starts cracking and then falls to bits so basically there worthless as is.

DSC_0061_04.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

i know 3 other ppl in the same position as me but mine are still usable atm but they will need to be changed i have spent weeks looking all over Europe and the usa no one has the correct size. a mold has to get made to sort this problem

genelec do not make the drivers but they wont tell you who makes them either they use phl audio for some bass drivers but thats all i can find and nothing on the other 2

every person i send a photo to say wtf is that as never seen a driver constructed like that and some of these ppl have been fixing drivers for 40 years.

his guy cant source the right surround either and that is new old stock it just brittle over time starts cracking and then falls to bits so basically there worthless as is.

View attachment 40924

What sort of outfit is Genelec if they can't repair gear at a reasonable cost or list suppliers so that you can source parts yourself! I'm never buying Genelecs. What are your Genelec exactly?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0069_02.JPG

they were the rear speakers in the main studios 5.1 setup and was the rear 2 in the wall at the back.

i could afford the front ones but id not even got them up the stairs and have 4 problems instead of 2 now as all was the same age.

seems genelec has gone the same way as apple no warranty and ur fooked.

D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 40925

they were the rear speakers in the main studios 5.1 setup and was the rear 2 in the wall at the back.

i could afford the front ones but id not even got them up the stairs and have 4 problems instead of 2 now as all was the same age.

seems genelec has gone the same way as apple no warranty and ur fooked.

Repairing those yourself, even if you somehow found the right surrounds, is not easy! Get the surrounds stuck down wrong and the reflex won't work. It's why I havent got around to replacing any of mine - I may just sell them instead someday, when I get around to it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you do it in 2 parts but you need to shim the voice coil so it wont move b4 you glue the out side down.

you also need the right glue i have done complete recone kits b4 on jbl bass drivers so sticking a foam surrond down is not going to be a problem.

are you also sure you have the right size surround it has to match all the gaps exactly as they guy i spoke to said on some drivers it is a fkn nightmare like some jbl speakers are Europe and usa even tho they look the same both use different recone kits and surrounds.

send him some pics of what you have and can sell you the right glue if you use isopropyl alcohol it will pretty much dissolve any foam surround and the glue incase you screw it up.

if you dont fix the surrounds and the voice coil hits the magnet it will destroy the voice coil even at low volume!

i got his phone number if you want to ring him 18p a min tho.

D

Deleted member 33385

you do it in 2 parts but you need to shim the voice coil so it wont move b4 you glue the out side down.

you also need the right glue i have done complete recone kits b4 on jbl bass drivers so sticking a foam surrond down is not going to be a problem.

are you also sure you have the right size surround it has to match all the gaps exactly as they guy i spoke to said on some drivers it is a fkn nightmare like some jbl speakers are Europe and usa even tho they look the same both use different recone kits and surrounds.

send him some pics of what you have and can sell you the right glue if you use isopropyl alcohol it will pretty much dissolve any foam surround and the glue incase you screw it up.

if you dont fix the surrounds and the voice coil hits the magnet it will destroy the voice coil even at low volume!

i got his phone number if you want to ring him 18p a min tho.

Mine, I'm probably not going to bother refoaming - they hold up my keyboards at the moment and I'd rather not screw them up before attempting a sale - they're wildly old and sought after by crusties even older than I am, simply because they're what they drooled about buying when they were schoolkids, many decades ago. People like that will buy my old speakers in any condition.

Your Genelecs will likely be wanted by a studio somewhere, and the sound has to be perfect as measured and sampled - with frequency response as close to original as possible. Yours need a professional refoaming, and if you can do it - you're a more skilled man than me!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0064_03.JPG

thats the kit from that video above the D is 3mm to wide and wont fit back in the wave guide it will fix the driver but it wont fit back in that hole as its 115mm and the foam is 118mm and the pitch of the D is to shallow.

i like a challenge tho esp if it saves me £800 ;)

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

thats the kit from that video above the D is 3mm to wide and wont fit back in the wave guide it will fix the driver but it wont fit back in that hole as its 115mm and the foam is 118mm and the pitch of the D is to shallow.

So close!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Mine, I'm probably not going to bother refoaming - they hold up my keyboards at the moment and I'd rather not screw them up before attempting a sale - they're wildly old and sought after by crusties even older than I am, simply because they're what they drooled about buying when they were schoolkids, many decades ago. People like that will buy my old speakers in any condition.

Your Genelecs will likely be wanted by a studio somewhere, and the sound has to be perfect as measured and sampled - with frequency response as close to original as possible. Yours need a professional refoaming, and if you can do it - you're a more skilled man than me!
what are they then its really not that hard to do it you just need the correct surround he is coming to the uk when he can so maybe he can pop round and do it for you if not to far out of his way.

send him a msg he will get you sorted out im sure ;) his name is maroesjka

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

what are they then its really not that hard to do it you just need the correct surround he is coming to the uk when he can so maybe he can pop round and do it for you if not to far out of his way.

send him a msg he will get you sorted out im sure ;)

I can get the right surounds easily - I've got a whole bunch of speakers by Acoustic Research, AR12, A58s, AR38. People who want them really want them. To anyone your age they're worthless. Your Genelecs are worth more.