For Sale Clear out - all sorts of stuff

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
vfr400 submitted a new listing:

Clear out - all sorts of stuff - Clear out - all sorts of stuff

I'm moving shortly, so I'm having a massive clearout. I have all sorts of abandoned projects, motors, motor wheels, batteries, controllers and other stuff. I'm not going to have much time to sort anything out, so this stuff would suit people like to mess about with it. If I put everything in my garage, it would fill it up, but there's no room, so it's all spread throughout my house, garage and three large sheds.

If you just wanted a kit with a used battery that worked after doing some...
Learn more about this listing...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do you have any newish 36v batteries? I'm really looking forward to seeing your items listed! I might be able to ebike to Telford. I may even be able to make it back.
The only newish 36v one is an Oxydrive bottle battery that's never been used. I have the rest of the kit too, so it would make sense to keep it as a complete kit ready to go. I've got a few good cell-packs for silver fish batteries and a few LiFePO4 packs for rack batteries that last forever, though heavy.

Loads of untested non-functional cell-packs that can be harvested for cells too. I gave forum member a boot-load of them about a year ago.

D

Deleted member 33385

Can you make a shed to store some of what you want to keep? You're allowed 10m squared, I believe - a friend recently built his garden man cave using house bricks. It looks like a mini palace - just needs lion statues at the gates.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Can you make a shed to store some of what you want to keep? You're allowed 10m squared, I believe - a friend recently built his garden man cave using house bricks. It looks like a mini palace - just needs lion statues at the gates.
That's the problem. I presently have 9 x7, 8x6 and 16 x10 all full. The garden at my new place is about 15ft square and terraced. i might be able to squeeze a 6x4 in somewhere, but I'll need that for garden tools.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

That's the problem. I presently have 9 x7, 8x6 and 16 x10 all full. The garden at my new place is about 15ft square and terraced. i might be able to squeeze a 6x4 in somewhere, but I'll need that for garden tools.

Another friend added another (shallow - 4ft) floor under his 10m squared... Not easy - a lot of digging was required and it took bloody ages. He lined it with dampcourse and it actually remains dry enough to store his unfinished scribblings. Nobody knows it's there...

D

Deleted member 33385

The only newish 36v one is an Oxydrive bottle battery that's never been used. I have the rest of the kit too, so it would make sense to keep it as a complete kit ready to go. I've got a few good cell-packs for silver fish batteries and a few LiFePO4 packs for rack batteries that last forever, though heavy.

I'd hate to deprive someone of a pristine and complete Oxydrive kit with unused battery. If I had a welder and some experience in making battery packs, I'd cycle over to buy some cells!

Why not sell it all on ebay as "Buy Now" deals? Some carriers will collect packages directly from your house.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'd hate to deprive someone of a pristine and complete Oxydrive kit with unused battery. If I had a welder and some experience in making battery packs, I'd cycle over to buy some cells!

Why not sell it all on ebay as "Buy Now" deals? Some carriers will collect packages directly from your house.
Motor wheels are too big and awkward, and the carriers won't take batteries. that dowsn't leave much. I don't like selling on Ebay now. I sold one of my guitars recently. It took about three months of hassle. I had no end of questions and three non-paying winners. Each time you get a non-payer, it takes two weeks to sort it out. Ebay lets them get away with it. AFAICS, they make burner accounts, so they can do it. Finally, the bloke that got it was foreign, which brought shipping issues. The previous one I sold was an old Gibson Explorer with its original case, worth about £2000. I got £350 for it. I should have got more than that for the case. I've got about 20 more guitars to get rid of.

D

Deleted member 33385

Motor wheels are too big and awkward, and the carriers won't take batteries. that dowsn't leave much. I don't like selling on Ebay now. I sold one of my guitars recently. It took about three months of hassle. I had no end of questions and three non-paying winners. Each time you get a non-payer, it takes two weeks to sort it out. Ebay lets them get away with it. AFAICS, they make burner accounts, so they can do it. Finally, the bloke that got it was foreign, which brought shipping issues. The previous one I sold was an old Gibson Explorer with its original case, worth about £2000. I got £350 for it. I should have got more than that for the case. I've got about 20 more guitars to get rid of.

Yes, ebay is hell on sellers, but it depends on what you're selling and how, which is why I love ebay, as a buyer. I've only ever sold laptops on ebay - UPS transport batteries (they must do, that's how I received mine), as do Royal Mail (I think - big labels needed by ParcelForce). It's gutting to hear about your Gibson Explorer! I'd love one of those! I normally play acoustic, and not as well as I would if I played more often. I've been in the market for an electric for awhile but tranporting it by ebike is not something I'd want to hazard, I refuse to use Covid-filled public transport, and I no longer drive... Damn! 20 guitars?!??!? There is always Gumtree, Cash Coverters, Cex:

(Cex sells and buys by post (they arrange pick up), for your cabs, speakers and many types of electronic products) Loot etc. but it all takes time to get the most value from selling it all. It sounds like your assorted gear is worth far more than the cost of hiring storage units temporaily - you'd lose less money if time was on your side, before your move. Put all the more valuable gear into storage umits and get the best deals over time?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
20 FREAKING GUITARS?!!?!?!? Are you a musician, or just obsessed?
I used to play a lot until arthritis and neuropathy got the better of my fingers. Guitars are interesting in that each one has a unique set of characteristics. Some look nice with beautifully crafted marquetry, some valuable for investment, others sound really good, some play really nicely, and if you're really lucky, you get the last two together. I have this one. It's an Ibanez J-Custom Gold 1. They only made 5 of them and one is in the Ibanez museum. It looks like solid gold because it's completely finished in 24ct gold leaf. Anybody want to make an offer?

D

Deleted member 33385

I used to play a lot until arthritis and neuropathy got the better of my fingers. Guitars are interesting in that each one has a unique set of characteristics. Some look nice with beautifully crafted marquetry, some valuable for investment, others sound really good, some play really nicely, and if you're really lucky, you get the last two together. I have this one. It's an Ibanez J-Custom Gold 1. They only made 5 of them and one is in the Ibanez museum. It looks like solid gold because it's completely finished in 24ct gold leaf. Anybody want to make an offer?
View attachment 40923

Looks a bit like this one:

...and precisely the sort of item you want to keep in storage if you don't get an offer near £1600!!!!! And that's my two cents.

D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 40923

Or is it more like this one?

...in which case, a £1600 wodge of cash is waaay too light!

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Looks a bit like this one:

...and precisely the sort of item you want to keep in storage if you don't get an offer near £1600!!!!! And that's my two cents.
That's an ordinary RG. This is a J-custom, and it's gold leaf, not gold painted. I'd hope to get a lot more than £1600. There are loads of different gold Ibanezs, but they only made 15 gold leaf ones - 5 Gold 1s, and 10 Gold 2s that only had gold on the front with added bird motifs.

D

Deleted member 33385

That's an ordinary RG. This is a J-custom, and it's gold leaf, not gold painted. I'd hope to get a lot more than £1600. There are loads of different gold Ibanezs, but they only made 15 gold leaf ones - 5 Gold 1s, and 10 Gold 2s that only had gold on the front with added bird motifs.

People do seem to sell very expensive guitars and other pricey, sought after sound gear on ebay. You can be stung by time wasters - weed those out through communication and looking at their buyer rating, and relist as needed. Film yourself packaging it up, if you do decide to give ebay another go - many a buyer will claim to receive empty boxes, and a trail of evidence helps ebay decide on compensation for sellers. Personally (Covid) I'd sell on ebay, excluding overseas buyers, using a reputable carrier, using copious amounts of packing material. You'd likely get a better price - go with "Buy Now" - don't auction it unless you pack the listing with as many keywords as possible in many different variations, so that people looking for rare guitars in general can find it. You'd be amazed at the bargains I've picked up on ebay by simply searching using related terms - the sellers usually don't have a clue about how to list anything properly, and conclude that the price they eventually get is what ebay buyers think it's worth... when they've just scr*wed up creating the listing. Often people don't know what they want, until they see it. Get it seen. I think you'd get a better price on ebay, or some real auction than you would on here. On the other hand, it's "Seller beware" on ebay, much more so than "Buyer beware". Stacked against sellers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

By the way, gaming the ebay search engine is really easy - their indexing is based on their former owner's now dead search engine, Yahoo, and it's nothing like as sophisticated as Google. Stuff your listing with as many relevant terms as you like, in context - WAX LYRICAL AND YOUR LISTING WILL BE FOUND! Pay attention to the title, make sure that it's as keyword congruent to the description as possible, save your best terms for the title. Research how others are selling rare guitars on ebay and you'll find the ones which get found easier, all optimise for the ebay search engine. And if no takers appear at your initial high "Buy Now" price, lower it a little a few weeks later and try again.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can't tell if items sell or not, neither can you check out buyers. The buyers bid at the last moment and when they don't pay, the item still shows as sold. According to EBay, I sold thousands of pounds of stuff, so soon the tax man will get interested, but it was the same guitar sold 4 times for a total of £350. When you offer to the second highest bidder, they won't buy at the price they bid.

That guitar was worth about £600. It went past that price each time, but on the 4th time, all the bidders were asking why the sales didn't go through and what's wrong with the guitar that I hadn't put in the description. They all he became suspicious so didn't bid what it was worth.

D

Deleted member 33385

According to EBay, I sold thousands of pounds of stuff, so soon the tax man will get interested

The taxman's systems get excited by the actual movement of money, not ebay records - the records which don't record the movement of money with transaction IDs linked to bank account and card details are ignored.

That guitar was worth about £600. It went past that price each time, but on the 4th time, all the bidders were asking why the sales didn't go through and what's wrong with the guitar that I hadn't put in the description. They all he became suspicious so didn't bid what it was worth.

This is why I only ever set a "Buy Now" initially, and if it doesn't sell, I lower the price a little and later on, add a "Make Offer" option. You can check the buyer's rating of the buyer who makes an offer, on a PC view of the website - you're largely flying blind on a phone, where lots of information is hidden away to save space. I strongly suggest that you find a way to arrange delivery, because that opens out your prospective sale to the highest possible number of people for the best possible return for your goods.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Also, I never leave anyone a positive rating unless they've given me a positive rating first - it's how I still have a 100% positive seller rating, even after 12 years of trading on ebay. Lots of much larger ebay sellers with 100% positive ratings do the same. BTW I'm small fry, and mostly a buyer - the worst buyer you can possibly imagine... but I still have a 100% positive buyer rating too, despite receiving oodles of free stuff and many wildly underpriced purchases.

Last edited:

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
BTW I'm small fry, and mostly a buyer - the worst buyer you can possibly imagine... but I still have a 100% positive buyer rating too, despite receiving oodles of free stuff and many wildly underpriced purchases.
Ebay sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers. That's been the case for years.
Edit: since 2008.