2- 4 prong 'Silverfish' style battery - advice needed please

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
@WheezyRider That's an idea! We hadn't thought of swapping battery bases around.

This could be a possibility for the future. At the moment, we don't want to 'mess' further esp as bike electrics are new territory. Also, both the bike and battery are new, delivered just 2 weeks ago, and both have warranties we don't want to invalidate.

We've learned a valuable lesson that the seemingly-generic batteries aren't quite as generic or interchangeable as first thought and it seems to be pure luck that those I've bought cheaply on eBay have fitted all of the bikes I've used.

Before making any further modifications, we've concluded it is probably better to wait a year(ish) before making any obvious adaptations just incase there is a warranty issue. This is based on earlier experience where I had 2 bikes which needed to be returned due to electrical issues - without any battery changing I hasten to add!

@pentiumofborg A future option could be a modification of a slightly oversized pannier rack already fitted, intended for 26-29" wheels whereas the bike's wheels are 24". Both this and a chunky mudguard have already been modified to fit.

In the meantime, I will be using the eBay Silverfish battery on my Oxygen bike because it is more economic than returning it at huuuge expense. I didn't really want a 4th battery but it could be useful for hilly socially-isolated rides if Covid continues through the summer. I note your (@WheezyRider ) observation re the Silverfish case weight but as I'm only 52kg myself, weight really isn't an issue and there's plenty unused payload on my bikes!

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough in my very first reply about swapping over the the bases of the battery packs, which is what I meant. Still, you have a use for the 15Ah pack, so it's not a dead loss. It's always good to have spare battery packs, eg if you go on long trips, or take your bike on a camping holiday, so don't feel bad about it.

After a year or so, you may get to the point where you want to experiment more with things...

D

Deleted member 33385

@WheezyRider That's an idea! We hadn't thought of swapping battery bases around.

This could be a possibility for the future. At the moment, we don't want to 'mess' further esp as bike electrics are new territory. Also, both the bike and battery are new, delivered just 2 weeks ago, and both have warranties we don't want to invalidate.

We've learned a valuable lesson that the seemingly-generic batteries aren't quite as generic or interchangeable as first thought and it seems to be pure luck that those I've bought cheaply on eBay have fitted all of the bikes I've used.

Before making any further modifications, we've concluded it is probably better to wait a year(ish) before making any obvious adaptations just incase there is a warranty issue. This is based on earlier experience where I had 2 bikes which needed to be returned due to electrical issues - without any battery changing I hasten to add!

@pentiumofborg A future option could be a modification of a slightly oversized pannier rack already fitted, intended for 26-29" wheels whereas the bike's wheels are 24". Both this and a chunky mudguard have already been modified to fit.

In the meantime, I will be using the eBay Silverfish battery on my Oxygen bike because it is more economic than returning it at huuuge expense. I didn't really want a 4th battery but it could be useful for hilly socially-isolated rides if Covid continues through the summer. I note your (@WheezyRider ) observation re the Silverfish case weight but as I'm only 52kg myself, weight really isn't an issue and there's plenty unused payload on my bikes!

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

When the warranty expires... if you're feeling adventurous, you could take the battery packs out of the cases and secure them inside a pannier cargo box? Could you wedge and secure the complete 15Ah battery pack, within it's existing case, into this (alleged) "43cm" long box as is? Perhaps diagonally? Pack rubber or Sugru around any wires exiting the hole you'd have to drill/cut, to waterproof/prevent water ingress; perhaps have the wires existing from underneath, away from rear mudguard spray:

And there'd likely be room spare for sandwiches... I might do this myself, to contain my battery, ridiculous bike helmet, and to make my bike look less obviously E.

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I purchased a Silverfish type battery on Ebay this week , a 15Ah to replace a 10Ah original one on my Fat Tyre Folder . The reason is to improve my range from 20 miles approx . to nearer 30 plus to suit my favourite rides . The replacement fitted perfectly without using the supplied rack or baseplate with wires . I had noted the two spade connectors and polarity before ordering and in fairness the Supplier requested photos of my set-up before the sale . Jimmy is upgrading the battery on my Pro Rider` Flare` Mid Motor from 10 Ah to 14Ah after failure of the BMS on the original .
He supplied useful information on Battery Care and as I will be storing the Original working Silver fish one a particular item of advice might be of interest here . The Battery should be stored indoors at the Nominal Voltage of the Battery ie. 36V in my case and checked every few months with a Voltmeter to top up if necessary .
I feel with my Battery purchases I am single handedly pulling the Country out of recession !

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

The Battery should be stored indoors at the Nominal Voltage of the Battery ie. 36V in my case and checked every few months with a Voltmeter to top up if necessary .

That's a good tip! Cheers!