What is this? wisper wayfarer h9 hub 2021 crossbar city

GUMK

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 13, 2021
Washington, Tyne & Wear
Can anyone tell me what the device to the left of the control pad in the picture is please?

I’ve checked the manual and can’t find a reference to it.

Got my Wayfarer H9 as a commuter, and cannot work out what the device does.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
looks like a throttle, what happens when you push it downwards?

GUMK

Mar 13, 2021
Washington, Tyne & Wear
looks like a throttle, what happens when you push it downwards?
Nothing, as far as I can tell. I’ve tried it when moving and standing still.

It pushes down easily, no resistance.

I’m totally clueless as to what it is. This is my first e-bike, so I have no reference point.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a thumb throttle, it might not even be connected up yet as to be legal so the connector may be left loose and taped up to or near the controller box or if it connected it may need enabling via the display settings. One will have to refer to the manual about getting in to the settings if that is the case, getting in to them will be easy if the manual doesn't explain.
It all depends if you want it working or not.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have to pedal to make it active. If it works like other Wispers, effectively is pedal assist power boost that overrides the pedal assist setting to give full power on demand. According to other Wisper owners, you get more power from it than you get with the highest level of pedal assist, so it's useful if you're struggling up hills.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just to clarify the situation, this device is just an input sensor. When you press the lever, it gives out a voltage proportional to how far you press it. The voltage is 1.2v at rest and 3.8v fully pressed. The motor controller converts that voltage into a number. What it does with that number depends on the software in the controller. The programmer could do anything with it from flashing the lights to working the brakes. In other words, it isn't connected to the motor, so has no direct influence on it

The three common ways that it's used are as below, but I've only ever seen one at a time, which is a shame because 1 and 3 combined would be very useful for those that can't pedal hard, and it would be completely legal. Are you listening Wisper, Woosh, Juicy, et al?
1. Start assist. when you press the lever, the motor starts and goes up to 6km/h, then holds that speed.
2. Full range proportional speed control, where the motor will try to spin to a speed proportional to the distance pressed from zero mph to the motor's maximum speed.
3. Pedal assist boost, where pressing the lever overrides the pedal assist power setting to give either maximum assist or proportional speed as in 2 above.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As vfr has said most are set for pedal first operation before the throttle engages, I'm surprised this wasn't explained by the dealer or is clear in the manual. My KT is great as one can set it up in the settings for instant use or pedal first use.

GUMK

Mar 13, 2021
Washington, Tyne & Wear
Hi all,

It’s a throttle, press and hold. Just been climbing a hill with a smile on my face (for the first time ever).

My mistake was I was just pressing it, not holding it.

Just checked the manual again, and no mention of a throttle.

Thanks for the help everyone!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all,

It’s a throttle, press and hold. Just been climbing a hill with a smile on my face (for the first time ever).

My mistake was I was just pressing it, not holding it.

Just checked the manual again, and no mention of a throttle.

Thanks for the help everyone!
How exactly does it work? Does it give proportional speed control throughout it's range or just a maximum power boost? Does it regulate the speed downwards from the PAS setting too?

GUMK

Mar 13, 2021
Washington, Tyne & Wear
How exactly does it work? Does it give proportional speed control throughout it's range or just a maximum power boost? Does it regulate the speed downwards from the PAS setting too?
Max Power boost, from the feel of it.

When I release the throttle, feels like it pretty much instantly returns to unaided speed.

Very happy to discover what it was, a great idea.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Yes, that throtle control on Wisper bikes is very useful especially when you have a steep hill to climb.

GUMK

Mar 13, 2021
Washington, Tyne & Wear
Yes, that throtle control on Wisper bikes is very useful especially when you have a steep hill to climb.
Can’t wait to try it on my commute when back in the office. It’s a 12 mile each way trip with a brutal (but short) climb a couple of miles from the end on the way in (great fun on the way back!).

Tim@Wisper

Trade Member
May 6, 2021
Hello,
Yes that is our Thumb Throttle and is a very popular component of our bikes, excellent for a little extra oomph as it will assist you to Max speed 15.5mph whilst pedalling. Glad you are enjoying your bike!

Advertisers