Replacement Controller question. Have removed this faulty item from Elise folding bike and cant find a replacement with same pinout. The listed model

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You won't find an exact one as most bikes use controllers which are oem only so you have to buy another brand, also you will have to buy a paired display for compatibility. With any change of controller brand one has to expect to carry out some wiring changes/soldering as not all connectors may be the same or the wire sequence in the correct order.

The matching up of wire sequence is normally pretty easy Gnd & V+ are the ones to get right which only leaves the third wire as signal and these could be any other colour under the sun.

Last edited:

Jackho

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 8, 2021
You won't find an exact one as most bike use controllers which are oem only so you have to buy another brand, also you will have to buy a paired display for compatibility. With any change of controller brand one has to expect to carry out some wiring changes/soldering as not all connectors may be the same or the wire sequence in the correct order.

The matching up of wire sequence is normally pretty easy Gnd & V+ are the ones to get right which only leaves the third wire as signal and these could be any other colour under the sun.
Many thanks for your reply . The message sent prematurely but you got the drift anyway. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08N9JQ7L8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A154N4BPYYFVJK&psc=1
I have copy link for "closest" look alike for any comment.
With thanks jackho

Reactions: h1llside

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All use the same bullet connection for phase so is easy to connect, battery v+/v- is easy to id & connect, though may need a connectors changing .
Any other connectors as mentioned may need changing or soldering direct, the only important thing to is identify the Gnd & 5v wires and connect accordingly colours may vary which isn't important. It isn't unusual to have to remove the barbed pins from the male connector so that the correct pin is inserted.
For 5v Red or Brown are commonly used, Gnd is Black but if Black isn't used at all it will be Yellow. Once those two are I'd then the signal is the only one left.

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
All use the same bullet connection for phase so is easy to connect, battery v+/v- is easy to id & connect, though may need a connectors changing .
Any other connectors as mentioned may need changing or soldering direct, the only important thing to is identify the Gnd & 5v wires and connect accordingly colours may vary which isn't important. It isn't unusual to have to remove the barbed pins from the male connector so that the correct pin is inserted.
For 5v Red or Brown are commonly used, Gnd is Black but if Black isn't used at all it will be Yellow. Once those two are I'd then the signal is the only one left.
Great info. Could i ask about the battery charging wires. i don't see them mentioned on any connections but assume they have to be included.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Great info. Could i ask about the battery charging wires. i don't see them mentioned on any connections but assume they have to be included.
I've never seen them on an ebike controller. The charge socket is normally either directly on the battery or the wires go directly to the battery connector without worrying the controller. Where is your charge socket and where do the wires go?

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Unless that writing on the controller is in chinese, you're in good shape because the connectors are listed. Buy a decent controller that comes with a wiring diagram, like most Kt controllers, along with a matching display, and it shou;d be easy to reconnect a new one.

And if it is in Chinese, there are translation apps

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As said controllers don't have charging wires, they only have a pair of voltage supply wires for connection to a battery.
Al charging is independent of the controller and is carried out either direct via charger to battery charge port or some bikes have an onboard charge point which connects via the battery holder.

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
Thank you folks for your help. Have sent photo with the Charger interface for your comment.
Have ordered a lookalike controller via Amazon but long delivery time so can read up while i wait.

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
See previous post. Finally got a replacement controller for Elise ebike after a guy before me crossed over the wiring on a new throttle control.
Can anyone help me identify the connections from the pinout pic.
The ones I am unsure about are Aux.Power, Help Plug, Low level line, and Twisted wire .
I assume the 3 speed plug is the twist throttle , not sure about the Meter plug but maybe feed to on off sw. and supply to R,O, G battery level .
I believe the Learning plug is to reverse direction.
Happy with rest of connections and have lots of soldering already done on replacement but don't want to risk any guess work with the remaining connections. Probable aware I won't need them all for the basic model i have.
Any additional help will be much appreciated. Jackho

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I love the Chinese translations, though I'd do a worst job translating English into Chinese.

• Aux is battery voltage for whatever you want.
  • Power switch is probably the ignition wire, which would need to be connected to battery voltage via a switch or directly, so you could connect to the aux wire, but then the controller would be on all the time the battery is on, though that's not a problem as long as you can switch off the battery.
  • Help plugs id pedal sensor.
  • Twisted wire is throttle.
  • Low level is normal brake switch.
  • Meter plug is battery voltage for battery indicator lights on the handlebars.
  • 3-speed switch is normak with nothing connected, low speed when the middle is connected to one side and slight speed boost when midle is connected to the other. You can leave it as is or get a three position switch for the handlebars.
  • Learning plug is the self learning wires that have to be connected to do the self-learning procedure before you use the controller.

The self learning procedure is connect the self learning wires, switch everything on with the motor wheel in the air, then wait until the wheel starts turning. When it's turning, switch off and disconnect the wires and leave them like it. If the wheel turns the wrong way, repeat the procedure.

Jackho

Mar 8, 2021
I love the Chinese translations, though I'd do a worst job translating English into Chinese.

• Aux is battery voltage for whatever you want.
  • Power switch is probably the ignition wire, which would need to be connected to battery voltage via a switch or directly, so you could connect to the aux wire, but then the controller would be on all the time the battery is on, though that's not a problem as long as you can switch off the battery.
  • Help plugs id pedal sensor.
  • Twisted wire is throttle.
  • Low level is normal brake switch.
  • Meter plug is battery voltage for battery indicator lights on the handlebars.
  • 3-speed switch is normak with nothing connected, low speed when the middle is connected to one side and slight speed boost when midle is connected to the other. You can leave it as is or get a three position switch for the handlebars.
  • Learning plug is the self learning wires that have to be connected to do the self-learning procedure before you use the controller.

The self learning procedure is connect the self learning wires, switch everything on with the motor wheel in the air, then wait until the wheel starts turning. When it's turning, switch off and disconnect the wires and leave them like it. If the wheel turns the wrong way, repeat the procedure.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. Very much appreciated.
Jackho