Bike Workstand

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
Just a quick heads up , Lidl are selling their bike workstand again from Sunday 28/03 . You will not get better for 20 quid , have had one for a couple of years and it does the job .

Reactions: Emanresu

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I can recommend them too. Was tempted by the price, it's boon, working on the bike. Should have got one years ago.

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
I bought one last year. Brilliant bit of kit. You can buy similar from Aldi (once a year) or from ebay etc anytime at twice the price.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just to create some balance, these stands are great for normal bikes, but can be a pain in the backside for electric ones. They can hold the bike OK if it has a centre of mass in line with the clamping position, but bikes that are front-heavy or rear heavy can't be held horozontal. The clamps are just not strong enough. Another problem you get is when the bike does balance, but you remove a motor wheel or battery, wherupon the bike immediately goes vertical. Also, it's impossible to install a motor wheel with the bike on one of those stands.

They're OK for adjusting the gears and maybe cleaning, but just about anything else overwhealms them. For proper maintenace you need the type that has indexing clamps that lock in position, but they cost a lot more.

I have one of these stands, but I can't remember the last time I used it. In most cases, it's quicker and easier to turn the bike upside down on the floor or simply lean the bike against a wall.

The bike hoists are pretty cheap and good for adjusting the gears and cleaning too if you have a garage roof to fix one to.

• Agree
Reactions: atheo and Gringo

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
I bought one of these last year and can't fault it.
I've not had it go vertical on me yet with a hub motor and battery at the rear.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they still have some of the memory saddles when I get down there!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
D

Deleted member 33385

Am I the only person left in the world that just turns their bike upsidedown? :(

My Dahon Helios P8 balances perfectly upside down, even with the Bafang BBS01b, which is fortunate because nothing seems easily available for 20" wheels, standwise.

Emanresu

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2019
... or from ebay etc anytime at twice the price.
Shame I've already got an ebay one that is exactly the same. Will take a 23kg ebike but it can slip so make sure you've tightened all the connections.

Might just get another as a spare.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Bought a Lidl stand last year and use it all the time, superb for cleaning/maintenance etc. Yes, balancing can be an issue but mid drive bikes seem OK...so far.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On a serious note they were fortunate to have something softish to land on , one assumes they recced the route first. It could have all ended very badly.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I bought a flatpack computer desc from these people last week, which is really good. Now their adverts are popping up wherever I go on the internet and this came up. It costs a bit more than the Lidl one, but is worth it for the proper locking tilt clamp, so you don't get the problems with the Lidl/Aldi one that I detailed above. They have a lot of good stuff - well worth having a browse.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
It looks almost the same as my £30 Amazon job. Does the job ok, but the problem is the plastic junctions to metal interface.
On mine the plastic components tighten up vie a metal cam device. Fine in theory, but the plastic molding is not accurate. Basically the internal circumference of the plastic bit which fits over the steel tube is slightly greater than the external diameter of the tube, which the tightening lever cannot overcome. This is caused by the area which the bolt passes through, on both sides, meet up before the tightening can have full effect. (see photo) An answer could be to file down the offending area.
I suspect all the cheap stands have plastic components so something to look out for when you go to Lidl.
It does move somewhat when I clean the bike, but I think to say it's ok for ebikes is pushing it, as obviously this disadvantage is magnified by the greater weight.
I always take my battery off before fixing it to the stand!

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well i got one today as only had 9 in and got the last one as all went in under a hr lol.

its more heavy than my old stand and the feet are a lot better well worth 20 quid, or sell it on ebay for 60 ;)

DSC_0077_03.JPG

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Am I the only person left in the world that just turns their bike upsidedown? :(
No! I do as well, for the same reasons as you...an unbalaced rear hub with a rear mounted battery as there is no room elsewhere on my full suss conversion. I have to upturn the bike onto 2 axle stands at the handlebar end, to avoid damage to throttle, power controler, bell and cyclometer! I have to strap the bar ends to the stands as well as it is all too easy to knock the rear end and turn the bars. I do have hoists, 4 of them, in the bike shed, but close to the walls to keep the centre clear.

Reactions: richtea99

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I have to upturn the bike onto 2 axle stands at the handlebar end, to avoid damage to throttle, power controler, bell and cyclometer!
Ah, that is the one downside - all the handlebar gubbins. I found this bell sits conveniently lower than the stem bolts. It works reasonably well - just about loud enough:

Or just mount the bell facing downwards. I can't help you with your other bits though - my controller (aka a single button) is built into the frame, so there's nothing else on the handlebars (it's an Orbea using ebikemotion).

My (unsaid) point was that when you need to fix something on a ride, you're quite likely to have to turn the bike upsidedown anyway - so why not do the same at home?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Ah, that is the one downside - all the handlebar gubbins. I found this bell sits conveniently lower than the stem bolts. It works reasonably well - just about loud enough:

Or just mount the bell facing downwards. I can't help you with your other bits though - my controller (aka a single button) is built into the frame, so there's nothing else on the handlebars (it's an Orbea using ebikemotion).

My (unsaid) point was that when you need to fix something on a ride, you're quite likely to have to turn the bike upsidedown anyway - so why not do the same at home?

I just turm mine upside down, or use the manufacturer integrated kickstand. Working on my motorbike with just a kickstand was enough, back in the old days.

@richtea99 I had to use my bell which is that type of design, for the first time the other day and people jumped out of the way, depite the fact that it isn't very loud. Instant auditory recognition of a bike behind them.